Beginners and Beyond

Shoe selection... (Read 88 times)

Next question: Someone told me "everyone" should wear inserts like Superfeet because the inserts that come with most shoes do not provide enough arch support. Again, is that up to the individual? Or should you only wear inserts if a doctor recommends them?

While I'm sure it's up to the individual, my orthopedist recommends that most people wear inserts (or some form of additional arch support) if they are on their feet a lot. I've been wearing custom orthotics for about 12 years now and they actually "corrected" my pronation from over to neutral. When she re-fit me, she recommended I just go with Superfeet since they are cheaper. I tried a pair, but didn't feel they provided enough arch support, so I stuck with the orthotics.

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

delicate flower

Next question: Someone told me "everyone" should wear inserts like Superfeet because the inserts that come with most shoes do not provide enough arch support. Again, is that up to the individual? Or should you only wear inserts if a doctor recommends them?

Shoe store person trying to sell you shit you don't need?  I'd venture to guess most people do not need special inserts.  Shoe companies spend a lot of money on R&D and that includes the inserts.  I used SuperFeet when I started running because the LRS told me I needed them.  After a year of running, I thought "Why do I need these?" and ditched them.

<3

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Someone should tell that "everyone" bit to the Tarahumara people.

HAHAHALOLOL  (wrong forum).

You people have issues 

LRB

Most shoes are designed so that they do not need to be worn with aftermarket insoles.  However, people with weak ass hips () or other problems may need the support they provide.

I wear Superfeet with my tempo trainers and racing flats, if I do not, my knee may start clowning the longer I run in them.  Why?  Because my left hip does not provide the support to keep my knee from collapsing inward when running for 10+ miles, causing my IT band to wake up.  The insoles give me the stability my body as of this time cannot.  When running in the Kayanos however, I wear the shoe as it is.

Orthotics and aftermarket insoles are an individual thing.  Where one person would never think of using them, another may not be able to run without them.

I do not know if you need them or not, I would just caution against changing too much at one time because you might lose the ability to trace what is causing you a problem down the road.

On a side note, I am getting much stronger through my hips and core and may experiment with neutral shoes this off-season...or I may not.

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

On a side note, I am getting much stronger through my hips and core ass and may experiment with neutral HOKA shoes this off-season...or I may not.

FYP

LRB

FYP

To run my 5k marathon? You know it!  

outoftheblue

I've got high arches and wore superfeet for about a 6 month period following a bout of PF.  I've since weaned myself off of them.  I don't think they hurt anything when I was wearing them, but they became an expense I found I didn't need as my feet toughened up.

Life is good.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

So I gave into the Hoka craze and tried a pair of the Bondi 3s.  They just didn't work for me.  They rubbed my feet wrong, I couldn't get the laces tight enough so my foot felt snug, and they just overall didn't fit my feet right.  They were surprisingly stiff; I didn't expect that.  The best they felt was totally bombing down a hill.  I'm not sure if I'll try another model or not.

Running is dumb.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Dang......sometimes I swear I'm blind to threads......

Remeber those day-glow orange puppies I wore at Santa Anita??

Nike P-E-G-A-S-U-S!!!  (Those were 30's & they're on 31's now.  31's supposed less pillowy but I haven't tried them on yet)  You can probably get 30's now on the cheap online!  VERY true to size & absolutely unoffensive to the foot in every way.  (think "Goldilocks"....juuust right)

TRY THEM ON!!!

Also try on the Asics Cumulus. (and nimbus too, if you want to feel a monster cushion, though they're $$$ and I prefer Cumulus anyway......btw, so does Ryan Hall!!!!)

I have a pair of Mizuno Wave Riders as well but don't like them or wear them much because the footprint doesn't bend(curve from heel to toe) as much as my foot.  As such, the inner tips of both of my big toes get rubbed by them.  They're also not very cushioned.  I'm not thrilled w/ Mizuno's gimmick of wave.  It's' too simple & cannot compensate for all the different weight runners out there.

Gel & Air are 2 gimmicks I can buy into.  They're contained and are worthy of various runner's size, imho.

Randy

Cyberic

My experience might not mean much, but for what it's worth I'm a suppinator, have very high arches, and run in neutral shoes with no inserts. The only "run stopping injury" I got was from running *without* shoes after reading Born to Run I stopped for 6 days and my Achilles' tendons were hurt for a while when I started running again.

But I never got injured yet running with neutral shoes. I mean severe injuries. Because I'm almost always hurting somewhere...