Beginners and Beyond

Back On The Horse Tuesday Penguins (Read 22 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Damaris, are you making it through the day?  And go often by the Beyotch's desk  today and sneeze and cough on it... 

What the heck are Duck Donuts, HsM?  I've heard of Shipley and Krispy Kreme, etc., but not Duck...is that a local thing?  And do Duck Donuts come with quackers?    You should have just taken a few items from the party for 4 PM when you get hungry later.

Good luck to your DW watching The Hobbit, Jack.  Those are some looong movies!  I prefer to wait till they come out to my On-Demand and then watch them at home, so I can pause it once it a while, if I need a break.  Hope the weather behaves for you!

Christmas Light Run with the LRC.  So, Ginny, you are doing CLR with LRC?     Sorry about the hamstring thingy going on, that stinks. Hope the weather behaves for you.  Maybe you can walk it.  Are there walkers too, or just runners only?

Congrats on the 5 miles, Brilliant.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Hiya Pengs!

Ran a very windy and chilly 4 miles this morning. KS weather is back and in full force. Whoever invented Balaclava's should get a medal. It made my run in 17 mpw winds tolerable. Meant to run 5 this morning, but I hit the snooze one or two too many times. 

Yesterday, I took the day off from work. Been so busy running in circles, every now and then I take a "tired" day just to sleep in and get caught up. Kept my streak going with the minimum mile, which was all I wanted after the 5K on Sunday and all the grand-kid fun. Managed to take care of little nuisancy things at home like clean the fridge, uncluttered a desk. Oooh so much fun for a day off. It was nice, however, to have a chunk of time to write out Christmas cards and cook a yummy pot roast, which is pretty unheard of for a weeknight in my house. Now I have leftovers to make other evening meals easy. I just love leftovers -- mostly because I can get away with being lazy later.

PAD - sounds like your ankle and hip are recovering.

Stone - way go fellow streaker!!

Scotty -  

Damaris - Feel better!

HsM - Ducks Donuts sounds like Krispy Kremes here. Just hook me up with an IV, please!

Jack - I tried, but just could never get into The Hobbit.

Ginny - I think I've seen some local Christmas light runs here. I'll have to check it out. I just love Christmas lights. Maybe if I run easily enough, I can sing Christmas Caroles as I run.

Jack - medium LR of 12 miles? Oh my! I've got my plan written for marathon training that will begin in February. I know enough about me that I can't get in anything longer than 5 before work. And if I don't get my run in before work, it just doesn't happen.

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

Singer who runs a smidge

Told you to get a second lunch.  There was the one!

I really should've listened!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

What the heck are Duck Donuts, HsM?  I've heard of Shipley and Krispy Kreme, etc., but not Duck...is that a local thing?  And do Duck Donuts come with quackers?    You should have just taken a few items from the party for 4 PM when you get hungry later.

Duck Donuts started in the Outer Banks (in Duck, oddly enough).  They opened a few more spots through the Outer Banks, then one in Virginia Beach.  I think this is their second, or maybe third, franchise outside OBX.

And yeah, I like my Krispy Kremes.  But these are several levels better!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Kathleen: I know the feeling. Those medium LRs in the middle of the week are tough and I really have to force myself out the door to get them done. Fortunately, my long runs will be on Sundays. I am excited about training again, but those 20 milers will be difficult.

Docket_Rocket

BETTER THAN KRISPY KREME?????????????????

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

I know, it's freakin' scary!!  And I will admit it's been a long time since I managed to hit a Krispy Kreme with the Hot Now sign on.  But Duck Donuts makes them right there, when you order them ... so they're always hot and melty in your mouth ... and they're topped with things like maple and coconut, or peanut butter icing and chocolate drizzle ...

MUST GO HOME AND HAVE A DUCK DONUT!!!

Because you know, I'm starving now. 

I know, it's freakin' scary!!  And I will admit it's been a long time since I managed to hit a Krispy Kreme with the Hot Now sign on.  But Duck Donuts makes them right there, when you order them ... so they're always hot and melty in your mouth ... and they're topped with things like maple and coconut, or peanut butter icing and chocolate drizzle ...

MUST GO HOME AND HAVE A DUCK DONUT!!!

Because you know, I'm starving now. 

You're killing me!!

So here's my Krispy Kreme theory that I'd like to share:

1. Imagine a co-worker brings in one of those big boxes of Krispy Kreme, meltinyourmouth donuts. Without hesitation I dive in for the first one even before my morning bowl of oatmeal. Yum! One down.

2. About 10:30 when no one's looking, I  take a peak. Yep, plenty left. No one will miss it. Two down.

3. After lunch, my viscous sweet tooth kicks in and thankfully there are still donuts left. Three down.

4. End of the day, there's one, lonely leftover doughnut. Sad isn't it? Put it out of its misery. Four down.

By now, I'm hating myself. How in the world did I allow myself to eat FOUR F'n donuts??? Let me tell you, I'm powerless over doughnuts. This has happened. 

Here's my new approach:

When that box appears, I admittedly and piggishly grab two from the get-go. Can you believe I just ate two doughnuts? I'm mad at myself for snarfing two that I swear off doughnuts for the rest of the day, and have cut my doughnut consumption in half. Works for me. 

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

3.7 for us this afternoon.  Much colder today and got us close to 10:00.  Felt great and streak is at 20 days.  I think I will have to classify our LR's as SLR's.

Do Duck Donuts have anything to do with Duck Dynasty?

Brilliant

I just checked out the Duck Donuts website (I mean, maybe by some chance they have an outlier location in SoCal, but no) and found this horrific news:

"Caloric Information: Each donut contains approximately 310 calories."

GinnyinPA

Brilliant - I really don't think I wanted to know that.  I'm a Tim Horton fan myself, but if I'm in an area with Duck donuts, I'll have to try them now.

Kathleen - good strategy, except that I learned the hard way that if I eat two donuts at once, my stomach rebels.  My mouth loves it, but the sugar does bad things to me.

I ended up running with the group - about 25 or 30 runners.  I didn't know anyone, though I've seen a couple of people at races.  One woman ran with me for a bit but the rest of the time I was running alone, and trying very hard not to lose sight of the people ahead who seemed to know where we were going.  We got written directions of the route, but that doesn't help when you're pushing to stay with the group because after 10 minutes I had no idea where we were.  It was a very winding circle. Turns out I wasn't alone.  Some people missed the last mile and a half when the leaders turned off the main road to do a side loop but the people behind didn't notice.  I was close enough to the front I did get that loop in.  Decorations were nice, but only a few houses were really noteworthy. None were super tacky.  Best was a 'leg lamp' as seen in the movie, "The Christmas Story" that was in someone's front window.  It was lightly misting, but about 43 so I was warm in my rain jacket.  Afterwards we had hot chocolate or coffee and cookies at the café.   My leg behaved while I was running, but hurt a lot afterwards.  I intended to run slowly, to stress it less, but had to hurry to try to keep the people ahead more or less in sight. 5.1 miles in 51 minutes wasn't really the relaxed pace I hoped for.

hog4life

6.5 before work