Beginners and Beyond

Resumption of Training Cycle post Flu (Read 42 times)

Ultra Cowboy

So what is the general consensus regarding resuming training after a bout of sickness?  I finished my Peak Week and became ill from the flu with a residual respiratory cough and snot fest.  DID NOT Run For Exactly 2 weeks.  Ran 3.5 miles last night with some coughing.  No I'm not back to pre flu fitness yet...

Is April 7th too soon for a get -even race?   finish not place...

WYBMADIITY

Save

paulski66

miscreant

Ease yourself back in and listen to your body. If you start to feel fatigued, cut your runs short...at least for the first week or so, until you feel 100%.

As for the race: are we talking a 5k, or a marathon? Another few weeks and you should be fully recovered, though if its a longer race you might be pushing it a little. Again, go by how you feel.

I'm happy, hope you're happy too...

Love the Half

Ease yourself back in and listen to your body. If you start to feel fatigued, cut your runs short...at least for the first week or so, until you feel 100%.

As for the race: are we talking a 5k, or a marathon? Another few weeks and you should be fully recovered, though if its a longer race you might be pushing it a little. Again, go by how you feel.

Agreed.  I try to treat coming back from an illness just like coming back from an injury.  If I missed two complete weeks, I'd probably run about half of my normal mileage the first week back with no speed work, maybe 2/3 - 3/4 of my normal mileage with one moderately hard day in the second week and then back to normal training after that.  (By "moderately hard" day, I'm talking about a 3-4 mile tempo run rather than a 5-6 mile tempo run  or 5-6 x 800 rather than 6-7 x 1,000).  Don't push it and don't be afraid to bag a planned run if you feel like crap.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Ultra Cowboy

Thanks guys...I'm looking to replace a 50k "jog"...It really sucked to go down in my taper week...

WYBMADIITY

Save

Village people

Good advice.

I am glad you are feeling better.

Ultra Cowboy

Agreed.  I try to treat coming back from an illness just like coming back from an injury.  If I missed two complete weeks, I'd probably run about half of my normal mileage the first week back with no speed work, maybe 2/3 - 3/4 of my normal mileage with one moderately hard day in the second week and then back to normal training after that.  (By "moderately hard" day, I'm talking about a 3-4 mile tempo run rather than a 5-6 mile tempo run  or 5-6 x 800 rather than 6-7 x 1,000).  Don't push it and don't be afraid to bag a planned run if you feel like crap.

run about half of my normal mileage the first week back with no speed work   Check!

maybe 2/3 - 3/4 of my normal mileage with one moderately hard day in the second week and then back to normal training after that  duly noted...

This sounds like it should get me back on track.  Had a good feeling 4 miler last night.  Thanks folks.   

WYBMADIITY

Save