Beginners and Beyond

School shooting in CT (Read 584 times)

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

happylily - Did you see this article in the Toronto Star? I haven't actually read it but the headline caught my eye and I thought I'd pass it along.

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

The poor treatment of mental illness is definitely part of the problem, but it's hard to argue that an insane person cannot kill more people with an assault rifle than he can without one.

You can point to other problems, and they are certainly there. But you cannot shift the blame entirely away from  the existence of assault weapons and the insane gun laws in the US which allow people, mentally ill or otherwise, to legally own weapons of mass destruction.

Wow, you are probably the smartest person in the world.

Hip Redux

Strange that I mentioned my son... I just finished reading that Adam Lanza had Asperger's syndrome... I looked it up, because the way they described him in high school in some reports was very similar to the way my son is. This is not evil, I'm sorry. This is mental illness...

I also don't think the early reports are to be trusted just yet - I wouldn't be surprised to find out it wasn't Asperger's but something else like a schizophrenic break.  This sort of violence doesn't seem consistent with Asperger's, at least from what little I know of it.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

The poor treatment of mental illness is definitely part of the problem, but it's hard to argue that an insane person cannot kill more people with an assault rifle than he can without one.

You can point to other problems, and they are certainly there. But you cannot shift the blame entirely away from  the existence of assault weapons and the insane gun laws in the US which allow people, mentally ill or otherwise, to legally own weapons of mass destruction.

I mentioned to someone that I would retire from this thread and I will.

You can certainly discuss this however you like, but it would be nice if you at least attempted to use proper terms:

What are Weapons of Mass Destruction?

Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD) are defined in US law (18 USC §2332a) as:

“(A) any destructive device as defined in section 921 of this title (i.e. explosive device);
          (B) any weapon that is designed or intended to cause death or serious bodily injury through the release, dissemination, or impact of toxic or poisonous chemicals, or their precursors;
          (C) any weapon involving a biological agent, toxin, or vector (as those terms are defined in section 178 of this title)
          (D) any weapon that is designed to release radiation or radioactivity at a level dangerous to human life.”

WMD is often referred to by the collection of modalities that make up the set of weapons: chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear, and explosive (CBRNE). These are weapons that have a relatively large-scale impact on people, property, and/or infrastructure.

happylily

happylily - Did you see this article in the Toronto Star? I haven't actually read it but the headline caught my eye and I thought I'd pass it along.

Thank you, Adam. I hadn't seen it. I admit I am now worried about people's view on Asperger's kids. My son is not violent, never was. But when someone (Asperger or not) cannot express his/her despair properly, there are some scary ways that maybe come to their ill mind. Nowadays, with everything being so mediatized, when someone wants out, they may feel it must be done with a bang. Just suicide isn't enough these days. They have to do the most grandiose thing that will bring the most attention possible and make people pay attention to them once and for all. THAT is where the proplem is. I am not blaming society for what happened, we can't read people's minds, but there are people walking around us who need to be listened to, who need some compassion. When we see them, we should make an effort to be there for them, before it's too late for all of us...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

To take an argument to an extreme and play Devil's Advocate a little bit:

What if we could make nuclear weapons globally "illegal"?  Would that guarantee that a rogue nation would never build or use one, because a piece of paper says not to?

My understanding of the cold war is that we're only here today because neither side could justify the mutually assured destruction of just about everything and everybody.

If it were common for adults to carry weapons, these mass-murders wouldn't get off the ground.  A wolf doesn't prey on a pack of wolves.

Hip Redux

The argument that because a criminals won't follow the law means that we need no laws also doesn't make any sense.   Look, we're trying to REDUCE the amount of gun violence and part of that is strong controls of who gets access to the weapons of mass casualty.   Everyone appreciates that criminals will still succeed if truly determined, but do we have to make it easy for them to accomplish their goals?

Again -  many people who commit these mass murder do so with legal weapons.  

And the idea that an armed citizenry that is not fully trained in combat would somehow reduce violence doesn't sit well with me.  Nor does arming our teachers.   In order to pull this off, we'd need a serious system for training citizens... and even under good situations, police and military - who train for years with weapons - shoot and kill innocents in accidents.  Is that acceptable?

Let's also not forget that in Aurora the killer filled the theater with tear gas first... so what was a civilian to do?  Start randomly shooting into the fog?  As we've established, if truly determined, a criminal will find a way - and that includes taking out any possible threats in their attack.

Docket_Rocket

Thank you, Adam. I hadn't seen it. I admit I am now worried about people's view on Asperger's kids. My son is not violent, never was. But when someone (Asperger or not) cannot express his/her despair properly, there are some scary ways that maybe come to their ill mind. Nowadays, with everything being so mediatized, when someone wants out, they may feel it must be done with a bang. Just suicide isn't enough these days. They have to do the most grandiose thing that will bring the most attention possible and make people pay attention to them once and for all. THAT is where the proplem is. I am not blaming society for what happened, we can't read people's minds, but there are people walking around us who need to be listened to, who need some compassion. When we see them, we should make an effort to be there for them, before it's too late for all of us...

Aww, Lily, one of my fears is that the media continues to advertise a hatred or fear of people with mental illnesses.  Not all illnesses are the same and not all people suffering from them will turn violent. 

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

MrNamtor

Wow, you are probably the smartest person in the world.

Do people talking logically often strike you as know-it-alls? I can understand how you'd feel that way.Wink

RSX

The Asperger's article was great. We thought my son had it at 1 point, and looked into it quite a bit. (some social workers said yes but doctors said no) I think 1 problem with the budget issue is that state services have been cut the last few years. If he needed that type of help, maybe his mom couldn't get it. If he had something additional, I wonder about medication issues. I was on 3 psych meds once and hated them. I dropped mine, but hated to see my son on them.

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

FYI there are two 5ks being organized for this - someone suggested a virtual option so I'm not sure if that's up yet but one is January 19th and the other doesn't have a date yet but is being backed by the largest running event organizer in CT.

Hope to meet some of you there Smile

Strides for Sandy Hook 5K

5K Run for the Children of Sandy Hook

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

It might be a bit morbid, but I would consider a limited edition marathon in memory.

Seeing how the numbers coincide... I wouldn't go as far as naming each mile per each victim, that would be much imo.

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

FYI there are two 5ks being organized for this - someone suggested a virtual option so I'm not sure if that's up yet but one is January 19th and the other doesn't have a date yet but is being backed by the largest running event organizer in CT.

Hope to meet some of you there Smile

Strides for Sandy Hook 5K

5K Run for the Children of Sandy Hook

A national coalition/organization would be great here. I think that the many local track clubs and running groups could coordinate a specific date to run a 5K, 4 miler, or 10K, or more. I think that the turnout would be great, and I think that as long as the events avoid the political side of the situation, they'd be able to raise some meaningful cash for a respected charity. Not to mention raising awareness of the event in general.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

Run Like a Mother

I got an email from Fleet Feet Hartford about those two 5k races.  How awesome the Hartford Marathon Foundation is donating their services to run one of them.

Here is a virtual half or 5k event.  Miles can be spread out over time and must be run between now and January 31st:

http://www.facebook.com/events/186264894845690/

Proceeds go directly to the families through the United Way fund set up for them.

Linda

MrNamtor

That sounds really good