Beginners and Beyond

Blisters (Read 111 times)

Hip Redux

For months I have been dealing with blisters on my foot, right at the side of the ball of my big toe.   I have tried different socks - no difference.   And it's like almost every run that I get a new blister (on top of the healed blister!), even something like 3 miles.   I run 3-4 times a week usually, so it's like a day of healing, new blister, day of healing, new blister etc cycle.

I went to the LRS and she said that the toe box in my current shoes (Newton Gravity) might be too big for me - because of my big feet, I am almost always in men's shoes which tend to be wider than women's.   Mine are 10.5 mens - but she wants me in the women's 11s to see if the narrow fit is better.  I should note that I have been in this size Gravitys for two years and it's only this year that I've had the problem, though I am running more frequently.   Part of the reason I was in the larger size was to get the Newton "lugs" in the right spot on my foot... I am usually in 10 mens or 11.5 women's, so she's recommending about a half size smaller (Newton doesn't make anything larger than 11 in womens).  

Anything else that causes blisters like this that I should look at? Is the toe box size a fair guess?  The shoes needed to be ordered so I don't have them to try yet.  I'd like to get this nipped in the bud already, it sucks.

flarunner

Blisters are caused by friction. (I know you know this but it needed to be said.) So yes, your foot sloshing around in your shoe can cause friction. You should have enough room in your toebox for your toes to move a little bit, like have a small little party. Put your shoe on; can you move your foot a lot side to side? If so, you might have too much room.

Also remember that your feet will move forward in your shoe as you run, but never backwards. That's why you want that half inch (thumbnail's length) between the end of your longest toe and the end of the shoe.

Hip Redux

Also remember that your feet will move forward in your shoe as you run, but never backwards. That's why you want that half inch (thumbnail's length) between the end of your longest toe and the end of the shoe.

That's my concern with the smaller size (I couldn't try them, but I will when they are in).   And also why I usually end up in men's, since so few shoe makers go past 11 in women's.   So I'll just have to see how they fit when they arrive at the store.

And yes, there's a bit of movement in the toe box now!

flarunner

A bit of movement is good since you need room for foot expansion. It's just how to tell when it's too much room.

Sorry that I can't be more help, these things are much easier in real life.

Docket_Rocket

I was going to say the shoes but it looks like you have it covered.  Are you looking for wide shoes?  I know my husband uses Brooks because the toe box is a bit wider than other shoes.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Hip Redux

I was going to say the shoes but it looks like you have it covered.  Are you looking for wide shoes?  I know my husband uses Brooks because the toe box is a bit wider than other shoes.

I think the other direction - smaller toe box.  I have really narrow feet and the men's version seem to give me too much motion in the toes.   Well... that's the theory, at least.

Docket_Rocket

Hmmm, maybe something like Mizunos? I like them because I have narrow feet and they work for me.  Good luck.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Hip Redux

Hmmm, maybe something like Mizunos? I like them because I have narrow feet and they work for me.  Good luck.

Good to know.  If the ones that were ordered don't work, I might have to see what I can get in a narrow shoe in my size in another brand.  It becomes a hunt because very few stores stock my size, if the shoes do actually come in "gargantuan".  lol

Zentastic

Chasing Rainbows

Since you're going to have a hard time finding women's shoes in a 11.5, I'd suggest trying on some different men's shoes to see if you can get a better fit than your current shoes.  For example, I found the toe box of the NB890v3 to be too narrow for me but it might work for you.

The obstacle is the path. - Zen proverb

LRB

This may have nothing to do with anything, but the one time I got a blister it was due to lack of air flow in the particular shoe I was wearing, which built up heat and thus condensation.

Just throwing that out there.

Sloooow.

I just wanted to post my commiserations from the Big Foot Club. I'm wearing men's 10.5's too. I used to say that I needed big feet to stop my 5'10" self from toppling over, but it does suck having a hard time finding women's shoes.

Making sure the laces are tight enough towards the toebox may help, otherwise +1 to what others have said about finding a narrower men's shoe.

Trail Monster

Not sure what size Altras go to or whether you even would like zero drop but I haven't had a blister since I started wearing them. That's 85+ miles in a single pair of shoes in one day and no blisters. 7-8,000 feet of elevation change in a single run with no blisters. I won't wear anything else now. They really are foot shaped and breath really well.

edited to add: The Torin goes up to a women's 12. http://www.altrazerodrop.com/fitness/en/Altra/Women/torin-womens

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

RSX

Oski how are you treating them when they do happen? I went through maybe a 5+ year period of getting them, but it rarely happens now. I popped them and used moleskin back then. I got one yesterday on a 15 mile run. I popped it after the run, and ran this morning with no problem.

Hip Redux

Oski how are you treating them when they do happen? I went through maybe a 5+ year period of getting them, but it rarely happens now. I popped them and used moleskin back then. I got one yesterday on a 15 mile run. I popped it after the run, and ran this morning with no problem.

I usually treat them with utter disdain.  Big grin

(OK, real answer - I do nothing!)

RSX

I usually treat them with utter disdain.  Big grin

(OK, real answer - I do nothing!)

The easiest thing to do is pop them which is why I keep a recent race # on hand. If it hurts more later, band aids help. Mole skin helped a lot when I got them on the heel etc. and kept existing ones at bay.