Beginners and Beyond

Stupid question about wearing layers and bib placement (Read 64 times)

MothAudio

I've posted this many times.

Take your bib and makes color copies, then apply some sort of fiber [box] tape or duck tape across the back of the copy. Pin the original bib to your singlet / shirt as usual. Now take the color copy and pin it to your outer layer shirt / jacket. Problem solved.

This is the system I used before the advent of timing chips and with the introduction of the Champion Chip in the mid-90's. This mathod worked equally well with the timing strips you attached to your shoes. Now most timing strips come attached to your bib. I've used this method a couple of times with the bib strips w/o fail. With heavy layering I could see the potential for signal interuption.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

RSX

I guess I would just lift my shirt up also as I cross mats. I just wouldn't assume you will be pitching your outer layer. I ran one prior to chips with the intention of pitching an ugly rugby shirt early. I ended up wearing it all 26.2. I lifted it up for pictures and they matched them all somehow.

outoftheblue

They are saying the temp will be in the mid-40s and cloudy at the start, which really isn't that cold.  But, it's been a warm fall so I'm not as acclimated to the cold as I would like to be yet, and  I'm a bit of a slow starter.  So I thought I would be more comfortable in an extra light layer for the first 2-3 miles, or if the forecast is wrong.

The photocopy is pretty slick, but I'm not going to have access to one between bib pick-up and race.  I think I'll pin my bib somewhat low on my tank top and plan on the lifting my layer (if I end up needing it at all) going over the starting mat.

Life is good.

sheepla

I wear my race bib on my bottom layer many times.  I pin in on my tshirt, then had a jacket, then add a vest (yes, I like to be warm) and I've never had a problem with the chip reading.

No, my race number isn't visible but if someone asks, i can just lift my outer layers and show them.

Of course, that doesn't work for big races if you want photos!

MothAudio

The photocopy is pretty slick, but I'm not going to have access to one between bib pick-up and race.  I think I'll pin my bib somewhat low on my tank top and plan on the lifting my layer (if I end up needing it at all) going over the starting mat.

No FedX / Kinkos close by?

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile