Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Santa Antonio 5K (Read 14 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT VERSION REPORT

My 69th race of 2013 and my 3rd 5K of the long Thanksgiving holiday weekend, after doing the San Antonio Food Bank turkey trot on Thanksgiving and the Marine Corps Toys For Tots 5K on Saturday.  The B.I.S.H. Foundation - website: <cite>www.bishfoundation.net</cite> -  puts on this event.  B.I.S.H. is "Believers Inspiring Survivors for Hope".  The foundation supports cancer research organizations as well as helping cancer patients in need. Today's event supported University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, one of the premier cancer research institutes and cancer treatment centers in the nation.  There are many copy-cat events, but the BISH Foundation's Santa Antonio 5K, in which participants run or walk for a cure for cancer, is "the original" Santa 5K around here.  Nice turn out this year, over 700 registered.   I managed to finish in 34:15.

LONG VERSION REPORT

OK, folks, this was such a fun event I did not realize how carried away I got and ended up taking over 100 photos!  So sit back and enjoy the show!

Before The Race

Race venue was historic Sunset Station in downtown San Antonio, originally established in 1902 as a railway depot.  Today it is a center for events, dining, entertainment, etc.

Old-time train display welcoming folks to Sunset Station

Old-time firetruck display

Sunset Station area and pavilion.  Right behind this area is The Alamo Dome, and inside stadium, event center, etc.

Your report host, with Santa Claus

Participants, race volunteers, sponsors, et al, before the start

The cooks preparing sausages for post-race

Spurs Coyote, mascot of the NBA San Antonio Spurs

On The Course

The course took us through parts of downtown San Antonio and near The Alamo on the way back to the finish. The weather for the most part was cooperative.  Cloudy, overcast, 61 degrees at 9 a.m. start time, but it was also pretty humid.  Tough running at times in the Santa Suit with the humidity.   I elected not to wear the suit as I sweat so much, the suit material gives me a rash when I sweat...which I found out the hard way in a previous Santa run I did...itchy for days after...so just my regular running gear for me, but I did wear a red shirt to sort of fit in.  It was pretty awesome, though, seeing all the Santa runners and walkers out there.

After The Race

My first stop post-race, I went and found these important volunteers...

Oh yeah!  Thanks Santa!

There was also Monster energy drink, Starbucks coffee, sausage wraps, pastries, fruit, water, etc.   I think this guy had a bit of everything and he kindly modeled it for me.

The sausage wrap ladies

Entertainment provided by the Rick Cavender Band

Me and Rick.   I met Rick through my wife, Gail, who works for Wells Fargo, and she and Rick have coordinated in the past on several events.  Rick is a great guy.   The Cavender family  -  Rick, his father, his brothers, his cousins, etc. -  own several auto dealerships and Rick and his family do a lot for the local community nonprofits, for local education, etc.

Rick and my pal Bernadette.  I'm sure Rick was much happier hugging her than me, lol.

"Happy Finishers", volunteers, supporters, et al, enjoying themselves post-race.

My speedy pal Bernadette got 1st in her Age Group and got a medal

EPILOG

One of my "funnest' events of the year.   Nice race venue, nice course, great folks all around me, great cause, great music, lots of post-race goodies - even door prizes, none of which I won, darn the luck - , .  Kudos to the B.I.S.H. Foundation for doing it up right.   iaapweb.com did their usual great job of course setup, timing, etc.   This event is a KEEPER and will be a regular on my race calender.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Great event. Congrats on #69, Scott.

on my way to badass

Stellar as always.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28