Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Donovan's St. Patrick's Day 5K (Read 13 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me. At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another. Hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports with Photos. I am not exactly a good photographer but hey, at least all the photos are free so my ‘subjects’ can save and share their photos if they so desire. Mucho thanks to all the people I interacted with at this event for their graciousness, patience, and good humor in letting me take photos of them.  And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos. Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes, maps, and conversation forums for runners and much more!

On March 19, 2016 I did my 20th race of 2016, Donovan’s Run 5K, the oldest St. Patrick’s Day event in San Antonio and the original St. Patrick’s Day 5K of San Antonio. Sponsored by my good friends at Run Wild Sports local running specialty store, owned by two of my favorite runners on earth, co-owners Catherine and her doggie Emma. Around 200 or so folks participated in this one. The weather was crazy! We were in the 80s on Thursday, a cold front with rain blew in on Friday and on race day, the rain was gone, but the temp was on the low 50s, with a 20 – 30 mph wind blowing in the early a.m., making it feel like it was the the 40’s. For pete’s sake Mother Nature! Event was held at Ladybird Johnson Park – quite close to where I live, about 3 miles from my doorstep – a park of paved trails and off-road trails. For this one I ended up finishing in 32:07 and was 5th in my 60-64 men’s age group.  The 4 guys ahead of me all finished under30 minutes, jeez! There are some very speedy local runners in my age group, lol. I guess my strategy will just have to be try and outlive them all.

On to the photos! I do tend to take a LOT of photos at the events I do. So if you’d rather just see photos only without my “pithy comments” you can check out the slideshow of this event at this link:

BEFORE THE START

Being so close to the park, I slept in a bit and got to the venue with about 40 minutes to go to the 8:30 a.m. start time.

Our MC

photo 014_zpsudoxhx38.jpg

Race Day volunteers

photo 003_zpsojzivdik.jpg

photo 005_zpslxxtwids.jpg

photo 017_zps734mggas.jpg

Catherine and Emma of Run Wild Sports

photo 001_zps9itz0pxb.jpg

photo 002_zpsbbahv6n8.jpg

Our bagpipers for the event

photo 009_zpsuwtihgvw.jpg

photo 013_zpstdtsuzzu.jpg

photo 015_zpszgiymvhf.jpg

This band played on for us, before and after the event

photo 027_zpsjr5cfjsv.jpg

photo 058_zpsgnue1rrm.jpg

Guinness onsite and setting up for after the race

photo 011_zpszjq37dy8.jpg

photo 012_zpsqi2ghdwe.jpg

Some of the participants, their supporters, etc

photo 004_zpsz8xd6735.jpg

photo 006_zpsvih68lxs.jpg

Me and my friend and UTSA co-worker, Courtney

photo 008_zps309srkua.jpg

photo 010_zpsybhmkezf.jpg

photo 016_zpsltnnvatv.jpg

photo 018_zpshcguo6cu.jpg

photo 019_zpsd4psjliy.jpg

Sweet Molly and her human

photo 020_zpsblqgvjob.jpg

photo 021_zpsmji134wy.jpg

Ron and Abbie.  They are very speedy and got an AG group award.  I saw them heading back to the finish and called out "Go Abbie!" My friend next to me said "His name is Ron."   I said "I only remember the dog's name."

photo 022_zpssbuhvtep.jpg

photo 023_zpszybtvasv.jpg

photo 024_zpsyr4fbxuv.jpg

photo 025_zpsgdewgs3s.jpg

photo 026_zpsftaguezo.jpg

Ceci of iaapweb, taking photos, and Bart Childers of Scallywompus, who has a great local night-time race coming up on April 8, Carnival of Venice, followed by a GREAT after-party.  If you are a runner in San Antonio that night, great event to go to!

photo 029_zpskltqaqux.jpg

ON THE COURSE

We did one lap around a small traffic circle, then it was down a short hill to the trails. At the bottom of the hill, 3-inch standing water was waiting for us, going across part of the paved trail so this created a small delay as everyone had to use the ‘stepping-stones’ on the sides of the trail to get dryly past the water; which just about everyone did, not fun running in squishy wet shoes right off the bat. After that it was pretty dry paved trails all the way to the turn-around and back, with a few downed wet leaves and small brushy stuff from the Friday night storm. Then, of course, we had to negotiate the water hazard once again before we could go up the hill we’d come out on, and then back around the small traffic circle to the finish.

photo 030_zps1ermmprb.jpg

photo 031_zpseubuexc4.jpg

photo 032_zpsxwanpeys.jpg

photo 034_zps8e5umyn0.jpg

photo 035_zpsawwgpibb.jpg

Made the turn-round and am heading back now

photo 036_zpsv35bb75t.jpg

photo 037_zpsrm6hlryj.jpg

photo 038_zps11tmztt0.jpg

photo 039_zpst1hqhjnc.jpg

photo 040_zpsdw4cfhin.jpg

photo 041_zpsfujw2zqc.jpg

photo 042_zps1yf8eqfj.jpg

photo 044_zps9ghfmoxi.jpg

photo 046_zpsrl7fadqz.jpg

I finished just slightly ahead of my friend Adrian, coming into the finish here

photo 047_zpsi0xwxrgr.jpg

Got a few photos of others finishing

photo 052_zps3off1vsi.jpg

photo 053_zpstrjigjff.jpg

photo 054_zps1cvejnu2.jpg

photo 059_zpsf0ayaggo.jpg

My friend Sally coming up the hill and into the finish

photo 051_zps7uudy7fk.jpg

photo 055_zpsxi0ytifj.jpg

AFTER THE FINISH

Oh, Guinness, you sweetheart!

photo 065_zps6umidcha.jpg

photo 060_zpsjqgbmy4g.jpg

photo 061_zpskgog3b8b.jpg

Happy Finishers, etc..

photo 048_zpspvexzqrg.jpg

photo 049_zpsvswljrpq.jpg

photo 050_zpszduam8er.jpg

photo 056_zpspxpmqamu.jpg

photo 057_zpsxkzwtbat.jpg

photo 062_zpssjgzb76x.jpg

photo 066_zpsbaern2yx.jpg

photo 067_zpsqtohsipp.jpg

photo 068_zpswoocc6fu.jpg

photo 069_zpscglwajwy.jpg

Molly and friends

photo 070_zpstic2dldo.jpg

photo 071_zpsc7p0d5eh.jpg

photo 072_zpstiwxotij.jpg

photo 073_zpssvdvwj7r.jpg

photo 074_zpsdn8bepzj.jpg

photo 075_zpswbegjnv1.jpg

photo 076_zpsm3pdiilc.jpg

Brak Pak and friends

photo 077_zpsbopcgswe.jpg

photo 078_zpsx3qxsnzc.jpg

photo 079_zpsgf0frbl2.jpg

It's hard to get a dog to pose, lol...some people too... 

photo 081_zpsneqsrktd.jpg

photo 082_zpswyyr3s4v.jpg

photo 083_zpshkurmswv.jpg

photo 084_zpsk1mjnmfb.jpg

photo 085_zpssd27dq2q.jpg

photo 086_zpsfcaxgkwb.jpg

photo 087_zpsejouep65.jpg

photo 088_zpsiyxmbfnc.jpg

My friend Courtney won a bottle of wine to chase down her cup of Guinness 

photo 089_zps8ry0ytr8.jpg

EPILOGUE

Really great event, with timing, results, course set-up, etc, put on by iaapweb.com, a great local running company with great people – not that I’m biased or anything, just because I have a ‘running crush’ on all the iaap.web ladies – and nice post-race goodies with some kind of pasta dish, Guinness, some various fruits, etc., and Guinness…and more Guinness. There were also awards for the greenest person there; person with the best kilt, etc. Done this one several times in the past and will definitely do it again in the future.

MUCHO thanks to primary sponsor Run Wild Sports and all the other sponsors; all the volunteers, law enforcement, EMTs, course set-up and race timing/results folks, etc! All the folks who do all the work to make this one happen for us participants.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

That looks like a fun event.  The Guinness is a nice touch on a St. Patrick's race. Did you try the blonde?  I've been curious about that.  Did the band play Irish/Celtic music?

music_girl117

lol at the guy in the leprechaun costume. Smile

Looks like a lot of fun.  You always manage to get pictures of people smiling during the run itself!

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

LRB

+1

I had to look at that thing like three times before I figured out what was going on there!

LRB

Oh, Guinness, you sweetheart!

lol - You earned it. It looks good too!

Half Crazy K 2.0

Was it the light, or was there green beer too? Looks like another fun event, although people looked cold in the pre-race pictures.

on my way to badass

Jealous!  Someday I will get a chance to run a St. Patrick's day race with Guinness at the finish.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Looks like a lot of fun.  You always manage to get pictures of people smiling during the run itself!

Cuz they're looking at me as I take the photo...and for some reason people always laugh when they see me....go figure. 

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Was it the light, or was there green beer too? Looks like another fun event, although people looked cold in the pre-race pictures.

Yes, there was green beer too!