Beginners and Beyond

Do you like where you live in regards to running? (Read 168 times)

Jess runs for bacon

And why?

I love my little town to run, I spent years in the mountains and its so nice to be able to step outside now and by somewhere. The rail trial is a mile from my house, and there is a ton of little side streets - I could easily do a 10 miler without getting further than a mile and a half from my house.

the area in general is great too. RW HQ is right here for a reason, we have tons of trails and awesome places to run. The one park, Lehigh Parkway, is filled with runners doing their long runs on the weekend. It's a 6 mile loop with several water fountains and a creek going through, it's awesome.

So how about you guys? Do you love to run where you live? If you moved would running impact where you moved to?

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

It's alright, the scenery is nice though no mountains or anything spectacular and a lot of the runners are great too. It's also relatively safe whether I am running during daylight or nighttime, and if I decide to run some trails then I have a couple of good ones here.

Also no bears or large predators to really worry about, which is something I would be concerned with living near mountain areas or where there are bears.

I would like to visit the states around the Rocky Mountains though, and I would love to run/hike some of the AT too.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

kittenkat

The c word is repulsive

I live here:

Modified to say 'pic fail' How do you link to FB pics? The URL didn't work.

Hip Redux

Where I am is fine - quiet, safe back country roads mostly.   I wish I had a few more options for routes from the house but because of either large climbs or really cambered roads, I am sort of limited in the directions I can/want to go.   But within driving distance is a nice rail trail, several state parks with a trail system, and plenty of racing options, so I really can't complain!

Docket_Rocket

I don't like where I live for runners.  Miami ranks among the top 3 of the least friendly pedestrian cities in the US and we deserve that recognition.  There are hardly any sidewalks (although my neighborhood has been adding some) so most of the time, you're running on the sidewalk on an easy street, and the sidewalk is suddenly gone so you have to run on the grass or risk the street.

I bitch and moan about the weather but that is the least important aspect for me to hate living her as a runner.  It's the stupid drivers texting, the people that do rolling stops, the 3-5 cars that run the red light.  This is normal behavior, not some exceptions.  We have killed at least 3 cyclists in the last year mainly because people drive so badly, it's a surprise we don't kill more.  Also, the definition of a park here is a 1 mile loop which you would have to do over and over, unless one of the cars runs over you because they don't know how to follow instructions as to where the cars should be and there is no division between the runners, cyclists, and cars.  Ay, ay, ay.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Your image isn't working, and that is upsetting dang it. Fix it.

I live here:

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

sugnim

My town seems to have been built for running.  I can get to a flat riverfront trail that's 13 miles long and only a quarter mile from my house.  There is a network of grassy hill trails 2 miles from my house.  There are countless mountain trails anywhere from 2.5 to 5 miles from my house.  There are also country roads nearby, lots of parks, 2 community tracks, and plenty of neighborhoods.  Sometimes I think about moving, but then I remember how much I love just stepping out the door & hitting the trail.

Hip Redux

Wow, D, I didn't realize that!  Yikes.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Cry I hate you and I am jealous.........

KK it still isn't working, dang it. What are you using, have you tried photobucket, that's what works for me.

My town seems to have been built for running.  I can get to a flat riverfront trail that's 13 miles long and only a quarter mile from my house.  There is a network of grassy hill trails 2 miles from my house.  There are countless mountain trails anywhere from 2.5 to 5 miles from my house.  There are also country roads nearby, lots of parks, 2 community tracks, and plenty of neighborhoods.  Sometimes I think about moving, but then I remember how much I love just stepping out the door & hitting the trail.

PRs

Docket_Rocket

Meh, you get used to it.

Yesterday, I hit a car.  The asshole came into the sidewalk to turn without seeing I was in the middle.  He was flabbergasted and surprised to see me there.  Well, doh.

Wow, D, I didn't realize that!  Yikes.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

kittenkat

The c word is repulsive

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Although the weather can be 'iffy' in the summer - and damn hot, even early in the morning - I like running in San Antonio.  We have lots of parks that have hike-and-bike trails and these parks are often inter-connecting, so you can go a long ways. Lots of them have both paved and off-road trails, so nice option when you go to them.  The biggest park in San Antonio is only a mile from my house. We local runners also have the San Antonio Riverwalk to run on, many university campuses (5 universities here) to run on and, as retired military,  I also have the option of running on our local military bases (we have 4 bases).  Also, these parks and the bases, have water and restrooms available along the routes, so you don't have to carry any with you.  If you like to race, races are held pretty much all year round.  The winters here are very mild, hardly ever gets below 40.  On those rare days that it does, the cold usually lasts only a few days and then it's back to the high 40s, low 50s for our 'low" of our winter days, with our highs usually in the 60s.

If we want a variety from San Antonio, we are only an hour from Austin, so can go up and do the Town Lake Trail - a dirt/gravel trail that goes around a man-made lake for MANY miles, or run in one of the many parks up there in Austin.   For running 'seaside' on occasion, Corpus Christi and the Gulf of Mexico is only about a 2.5 to 3-hour drive from San Antonio.

We have lots and lots of running options here! I love exploring and have been doing so since I got here in 1994.  I personally have nearly 100 running routes in my log to choose from.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Now that works, and gosh is that pretty... Smile

PRs

kittenkat

The c word is repulsive

Cry I hate you and I am jealous.........

KK it still isn't working, dang it. What are you using, have you tried photobucket, that's what works for me.

I managed to put it in a link, our little corner of SW England Smile

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I managed to put it in a link, our little corner of SW England Smile

kk, I hope that's not a poppy field you're running through there!  Wink

I lived in England for 4 years (1988 - 1992) in Mildenhall.  I loved running in England!  Such great history and old buildings and castles and manor houses, historic towns, etc.  I joined the National Trust when I was there and got to run close-up to lots of these places.  So cool!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt