Beginners and Beyond

Dive Bombing Bird Attacks Runners (Read 54 times)

As a runner, you are always on the lookout for cars, aggressive dogs, and weirdos but now you may add dive bombing bird to the list.  For some reason when I read this account it occurred to me, if FreeSoul87 had lived Iowa, then this would probably happen to her.

http://www.kcci.com/news/divebombing-bird-targets-downtown-walkers-runners/26869158#!bdxQ7I

Or for you film buffs, a stray from an Alfred Hitchcock film comes to life.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

Docket_Rocket

We have similar ones here that have been attacking the neighbor's cat.  The other day, the bird dive bombed my husband.  It was fucking hilarious.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

happylily

I take it that Todd the Reporter didn't want his neatly coiffed hair messed up by the angry bird. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Love the Half

Ha.  It wouldn't have gotten the one guy if he'd been a runner instead of a "jogger" as indicated in the caption.  

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

I was divebombed by 2 separate birds three separate times today.  I hate red-winged blackbirds!

MI_Tim

Last year, a red-winged blackbird dive bombed me and scratched my head while I was running.

B-Plus

I had a pigeon make brief contact with my knee while sitting on the patio at Starbucks last week.

Antipodean

I was divebombed by an uptight seagull on a beach back in January. Apparently it was nesting but I was totally freaked out! It didn't help that i was at the mid point of my long run, trapped in soft sand on a beach and had to sprint like crazy for over a minute (it felt like 5) to get to the road and safety. Stupid bird! I admit to having a bit of a bird phobia.  If I'm feeling resentful I could trace my current injury to that day! Grrrr! 

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

happylily

I had a pigeon make brief contact with my knee while sitting on the patio at Starbucks last week.

That's kinky.

happylily

I was divebombed by an uptight seagull on a beach back in January. Apparently it was nesting but I was totally freaked out! It didn't help that i was at the mid point of my long run, trapped in soft sand on a beach and had to sprint like crazy for over a minute (it felt like 5) to get to the road and safety. Stupid bird! I admit to having a bit of a bird phobia.  If I'm feeling resentful I could trace my current injury to that day! Grrrr! 

In America, they would say that's why you need to carry a gun. 

LRB

In America, they would say that's why you need to carry a gun. 

Or in the case, a bottle of Franks Red hot sauce. 

Or in the case, a bottle of Franks Red hot sauce. 

My wings are always made with Franks Red Hot sauce.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

The red-winged blackbird builds its nest on the ground and seems to only attack when you are near its nest.  Every year I have a few in my area that get defensive.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Ummm, you're not pigeon-toed, are you?  Maybe he thought you were one of them... 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt