Beginners and Beyond

Ready for my first HM? (Read 242 times)

I started a C25K in July and did my first and only 5K race November 4th completed in just over 30 minutes.......been working on increasing my milage the past few weeks and intend to continue the trend.

I have an opportunity to run a HM at the Christie Clinic Illinois Marathon in Champaign/Urbana April 27th. I am looking at the Hal Higdon Novice 2 Training Program and as a goal hope to average 10:30 pace. Thought i would just continue increasing my milage until i start this program next month keeping it slow and easy just to get a feel for the length of time.

Any thoughts and or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

<h6>Half Marathon Training Schedule: Novice 2</h6>
    WeekMonTueWedThuFriSatSun
    1 Rest 3 m run 3 m run 3 m run Rest 4 m run cross
    2 Rest 3 m run 3 m pace 3 m run Rest 5 m run cross
    3 Rest 3 m run 4 m run 3 m run Rest 6 m run cross
    4 Rest 3 m run 4 m pace 3 m run Rest 7 m run cross
    5 Rest 3 m run 4 m run 3 m run Rest 8 m run cross
    6 Rest 3 m run 4 m pace 3 m run Rest 5-K Race cross
    7 Rest 3 m run 5 m run 3 m run Rest 9 m run cross
    8 Rest 3 m run 5 m pace 3 m run Rest 10 m run cross
    9 Rest 3 m run 5 m run 3 m run Rest 10-K Race cross
    10 Rest 3 m run 5 m pace 3 m run Rest 11 m run cross
    11 Rest 3 m run 5 m run 3 m run Rest 12 m run cross
    12 Rest 3 m run 2 m pace 2 m run Rest Rest Half Marathon

First Race

Hot Chocolate 5K Chicago November 4, 2012 30:17

Second Race

Penguin in the Park 5K Decatur Illinois March 23,2013 27:08

Scott

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

The biggest problems with that progression, and this applies to almost every beginners program, are that the long run increases too aggressively and also becomes too high a percentage of your weekly mileage. It works if you can stay healthy and uninjured but you'd be better off increasing more gradually, especially the LR, and targetting a fall HM or even one next spring.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

FlippyNoodle

Not a dude

I think you'll be fine. You're ahead of where I was mileage-wise when I decided to start training for my first half, which I ran in November. In fact, you may even find Higdon Novice 2 insufficient because it maxes at just 23 mpw and you've already had a week of 24 miles. You might use it as a base and add some miles to the Tuesday and/or Thursday runs so your long run isn't such a huge chunk of your weekly mileage. Other folks have more experience and will hopefully chime in here. Good luck with your training!

You will be fine. Just don't push yourself too hard on your runs. Easy miles is what keeps me going.

I am a new runner- 8 months - and probably built up too fast.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

MrNamtor

The biggest problems with that progression, and this applies to almost every beginners program, are that the long run increases too aggressively and also becomes too high a percentage of your weekly mileage. It works if you can stay healthy and uninjured but you'd be better off increasing more gradually, especially the LR, and targetting a fall HM or even one next spring.

I agree with this. The more I see of runners and their injuries, the more convinced i am that people are getting injured because they are trying to do too much too soon. When did the HM ever become a "novice" event? And yeah, I know FlippyNoodle and others ran halfs after running for 6 months etc.  This is admirable, to take running on like that. But that doesn't mean it's necessarily advisable.

When I started running, I remember being plagued with minor injuries in my feet and ankles for the first 4-6 months. And I wasn't doing that much mileage. I now realize that what the old vets were saying is true - it takes time for your legs to become structurally strong enough to run distance. And there are no short cuts. Or if there are, the question is what's the hurry?

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

It depends on your definition of ready...ready for what? What are your goals for the 1/2?

I think a goal of "run the whole thing" is pretty reasonable.  I think a goal of "complete the whole training plan" might be reasonable, but might not be.  I would avoid setting a time goal until much closer to the race.

I'd sign up, keep running, use the plan but be prepared to be flexible.  Above all else don't get yourself hurt.

I tend to agree with Mr. Namtor about "what's the rush", but I don't necessarily practice that myself and I totally understand setting a big goal and going after it.

Anyways, good luck, I'm sure you'll do fine...I bet you even set a new PR

**Ask me about streaking**

@runjerseygirl

I agree with the concern about the long run.  When I add a mile to my long run, I stick with that distance for three weeks before I even consider adding another mile.  After three weeks, if it still feels like the first time I did it, I keep it another week until it gets easier.  If I feel good, then I increase.  I'm still a newbie, and it's not a scientific method, but it seems to be working for me, and I've gotten lots of compliments from experienced runners on my discipline with my mileage increases.

Do you even run?

I agree with this. The more I see of runners and their injuries, the more convinced i am that people are getting injured because they are trying to do too much too soon. When did the HM ever become a "novice" event? And yeah, I know FlippyNoodle and others ran halfs after running for 6 months etc.  This is admirable, to take running on like that. But that doesn't mean it's necessarily advisable.

When I started running, I remember being plagued with minor injuries in my feet and ankles for the first 4-6 months. And I wasn't doing that much mileage. I now realize that what the old vets were saying is true - it takes time for your legs to become structurally strong enough to run distance. And there are no short cuts. Or if there are, the question is what's the hurry?

I'm with you guys on this......like really what is the hurry. There is a half the day after my 50TH birthday in the Chicago area in September. I am going to continue what i am doing to build a base and find a couple 5k's and or 15k's to run this spring and summer. Thanks.

First Race

Hot Chocolate 5K Chicago November 4, 2012 30:17

Second Race

Penguin in the Park 5K Decatur Illinois March 23,2013 27:08

Scott

Shakedown Street

I ran my 1st HM on 35mpw for about 2 months prior.

That being said, I know a lot of people of varying ages have ran on less mpw.

Started-5/12, RWOL refugee,5k-24:23 (1/12/13),10K-55:37(9/15/12),HM-1:52:59(3/24/13)

Sharz96

I agree with the concern about the long run.  When I add a mile to my long run, I stick with that distance for three weeks before I even consider adding another mile.  After three weeks, if it still feels like the first time I did it, I keep it another week until it gets easier.  If I feel good, then I increase. .. 

This.  I haven't been quite that disciplined so far, but I run each new distance at least twice, and then however many more times it takes until I feel good enough at the end, that I think I could run another mile right then and there if it was called for.  I'm up to 10 now, have done it twice, and will do it at least once more, probably twice, before moving on.