Beginners and Beyond

Presidential Penguins run on Monday (Read 34 times)

Philliefan33

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." WinkIt can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Philliefan33

Mmm, must be most of the penguins have a day off today and are getting a late start.  Not me...just a regular work day here.

SRD for me.  It looks like this week will be a life-imposed cut-back week.  I've got two PT appointments, my yearly physical with my regular doc, and my quilting class.  They are pretty much taking up my after work daylight hours all week.  I'll squeeze in whatever runs I can.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I'm working today as well.  P3 has been sick all weekend and not sleeping well.  I woke up today, and wanted to find some pictures of myself from my powerlifting days to compare to now.  I had them all stored on an external hard drive.  Well, the hard drive doesn't seem to be responding.  Oh well.

I'm cross training tonight.  Phase III of JD's program is not joke.  It's been a long time since I looked forward to a day of not running.  I'm looking forward to Tuesday's run, but glad I have today to recover.  Wow...I just said that.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good morning Phillie and Awood!

I am off from work and just came back from a 4 mile run! It was a feels like 5 temperature and I definitely overdressed.

Survey the path for your feet, and let all your ways be sure!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Mmmmm...beer

Working from home today, since the office is closed (I work on base).  Gonna run at some point today, after I roll again.  I ordered a foam roller yesterday, so while I'm waiting for it to come in (yes, I should have ordered it back when my ITB stuff started, but I thought stretching would be enough), so yesterday I improvised with a frozen 2 liter bottle, worked great.  I've got my 20k on Sat, so I'm gonna be stretching and rolling like crazy all week, and keeping the mileage easy.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

TGIM   Sad

Normal half workday for me.  If its not raining this afternoon, we just might get outside for a change.

Tori Runs in PA

Pittsburgh RN!

Hello, Penguins!!

Have a good day!! I got a chiro appt and possible to test drive avehicle that I saw that auto show yesterday! Subaru just came out with a XV Crosstrek and they are pretty sweet and will get me anywhere I need to be snow or no snow!!

We'll see!!

Have a great day!

Do or do not, there is no try. 

My first races EVER! 

Saxonburg Distance Series 5KRaces: 

#1: 7-14-2012 Cross Country Crusade 5K: 42:50 

#2: 8-11-2012 Roebling's Run 5K: 38:54

#3: 9-8-2012 Festival of the Arts 5K: 36:37

Bin Running

Happy holiday to all!

4 recovery miles today. Was toying with a rest day but weather was good and I woke up early.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

hog4life

RD for me, legs are a little stiff this morning. RR is posted, I had a great race yesterday.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins all!!  DH and I had fun at our concert last night, and now I'm facing a 4-day week, as I'm taking Friday off because next week we're going to Orlando!  Can't wait to FINALLY get warm!  I was not cut out for winter.  

Phillie -- sounds like a busy week!  Yeah, it's a regular work day here too.

awood -- sorry P3 isn't feeling well!!

Gustav -- enjoy your day off!!

D2 -- hope the foam roller comes in!  It's a pain, but it sounds better than a frozen 2-liter!

Jerryb -- hope y'all get outside!!

Tori -- I'd like to have a Subaru ... but with a 60-mile one-way commute, the Prius makes more sense.

Bin -- glad you had a nice weather run!!

hog -- woo-hoo for your great race!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Zelanie

Morning, pens!  I am just finishing up my coffee and then will head out for my LR, between 10-13 today.

Margo- I bet the busy week will go by quickly!

Awood- Enjoy the well-earned RD!  I'm still trying to decide whether to use your pace as a virtual pacer for my 5K this Saturday.  10-15sec/mile slower would be "safer", but this is a 5K, so who cares about safe, right?  And I don't think I have the mental fortitude to pick it up if I start out with a deficit the first mile.  If I think I've missed my A goal already, I'll "settle" for a PR, and I don't want to settle.

Gustav- If you overdressed for that, I'm amazed you could move under the layers!

D2- You will love and hate your foam roller.  I have found it to be much more effective than stretching, but the first time I used it, it left bruises!

Jerry- Hoping that you get an outside run today!

Tori- Enjoy the test drive!

Bin- Recovery miles are fun, aren't they?  I just did my first "recovery miles instead of RD" run yesterday and it was delightful.

Mitch- Congrats again on a well-run race!

HsM- Woohoo for upcoming vacation!

Dad on the run.

Hello penguins! Just wanted to drop in and say Hi right quick before I head to work. Got out and did a 5k around the neighborhood. I wore my watch but I set it to where the only 2 fields it shows is heart rate and calories burned. I did not want to constantly be looking at my watch seeing what my current pace was. I wanted to just run but still be able to record my progress. So, with that being said apparently I run faster when I'm not worried about my time/distance as much.

First mile was 9:35, second 9:24 and third was 9:13 my last .10 sprint was at 6:56 for a total average pace of 9:18 m/m considering how much I have not been running I'm really surprised by these results. Finish time was 28:54

the Rump Shakerr 5k will be held March 30th. My little goal is to run sub 28:30, big goal is going to be sub 28:00!

Mitch - Huge Congrats on your HM! Looking forward to reading your RR when I get to work Smile

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Regular work day for me too.  Just came back from a 4-day weekend though, so guess I had my 'holidays'.  Gail and I wen to the Y yesterday afternoon.  Beautiful day, 68 degrees, sunny, low humidity, but very windy.  Gail did a Tai-Chi class while I went out and explored the neighborhood across from the Y, which I had never been in.  I ended up with 3.8 miles and found out that neighborhood is VERY hilly, so I got quite a hill workout.  Today is a rest day.  Nice day today too, heading for 78 degrees today.

Thanks for starting us off, Margo.  Good luck with you appointments, etc, this week.  I didn't know you quilted.  Can you make quilts from running shirts?  I am looking for someone to do that for me (will pay, of course!).  I have clean my closet out of some of the excess older shirts I have.  264 races over the last 4 years tends to build up a lot of race shirts in my closet!  Shoot me a message and we can probably work something out, if you are willing to do it. Thanks!

Sorry P3 is ill, Awood, hope she feels better soon.  Good luck with the x-training tonite.

Gee, Gustav, I don't think it's possible to overdress for a 'feels like 5' temp..I'd be wearing a PARKA, lol.  Congrats on getting out there!

Enjoy your day off, Dave!  Hope the foam roller works well for you!  I prefer The Stick myself to the foam roller...mainly cuz I'm so damn uncoordinated, lol.

Hope the weather behaves for you, Jerry!

Hope your chiro appointment goes well, Tori.  Enjoy the test drive.

Way to go on the 4, Bin.

Enjoy the RD, Mitch!  Off to read your RR in a bit.

Enjoy your short week, HsM.   What are the plans for Orlando?  Act 'goofy'....enjoy the Disney 'chip n' dale' furniture.... travel to Pluto and back...have a few drinks and see the White Rabbit....enjoy a Tigger tape parade down Main Street....or maybe play a little cricket, by jiminy!

Zelanie, hope your long run went well.  It's 11 a.m. my time (central time) so you should be done by now, right?

Congrats on  a good  run for you Jimmy!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Singer who runs a smidge

Enjoy your short week, HsM.   What are the plans for Orlando?  Act 'goofy'....enjoy the Disney 'chip n' dale' furniture.... travel to Pluto and back...have a few drinks and see the White Rabbit....enjoy a Tigger tape parade down Main Street....or maybe play a little cricket, by jiminy!

Scary ... this is EXACTLY what we have planned!!!  Big grin

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Phillie - Sounds like you're going to have a great week next week.

Gustav - Already up to 4.  Looks like all of that hard work while you were sidelined is paying off.

D - Take care of yourself.  You made huge strides over the last year, and you have a long running future ahead of you.

Jerry - Get out there!

Tori  - Sounds like life is good.

Bin - I'm considering a short run myself.  Its a rare sunny day.

Mitch - That means you did it right.

HopesMom - I loved winter until I became a runner.

Zel - I don't know if I could do a 5K with something yelling at me about my pace, but I'd try it once.  HM, I think I'd appreciate it.

jblackjr - Recently it sounds like you've been getting into your own head a bit.  It doesn't surprise me that when you stop thinking so much, you run better.  I wonder how you'd feel about doing what I used to do before I had a "program".  I would pick a day on the weekend, and not plan a route, a time limit, a pace or anything.  I didn't have a running app, or a watch.  I would get up, and find couple of hours when I could get away form the house.  I'd go out the door, and just run.  Sometimes I'd take a direction or turn for no apparent reason, but I just wanted to see what was down that direction.  Sometimes I'd have to walk back, but I worked so many thing out in my head during that time.  It was amazing.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013