Beginners and Beyond

WednesDAILIES are in the building (Read 38 times)

LRB

I'm thinking my goal of getting under 40:00 for my 5-mile race Sunday may not happen.

I do not know how your plan shapes up but you have three days to run easy before the race which is perfect.  In that time eat and rest well, run no more than 35 minutes the day before the event and you will have given yourself the best possible chance to have a good race.

That is exactly what I do and you will be surprised how fresh and spry you feel race day morning.

Now, there are always other factors (course, weather, illness, etc.) which are not always under our control so we do not worry about them.  Our chief concern is to give ourselves a punchers chance and that is how you do it.

LRB

I just hope she doesn't develop a taste for them.  Sadly, some chickens do and can't let them brood any more.

Hopefully she was just doing the right thing.

As for the half marathon taper I ran 90 minutes 7 days out from the event which for me was 11 miles.

Thanks Basya!

Rick, LOL!

Shari, fantastic 14.28. Enjoy your new shoes, socks, and grub in good health. It sounds like you've had a wonderful day.

outoftheblue, have a pleasant six-miler tonight. I always enjoy reading about your chickens' antics. I'd never have imagined that they eat their own eggs.

5.04 miles with the run club in 45:11. 8:58 pace. WTH? I'd set out for five easy miles. I did them slightly faster than MP. Crazy.

StepbyStep-SH

I do not know how your plan shapes up but you have three days to run easy before the race which is perfect.  In that time eat and rest well, run no more than 35 minutes the day before the event and you will have given yourself the best possible chance to have a good race.

That is exactly what I do and you will be surprised how fresh and spry you feel race day morning.

Now, there are always other factors (course, weather, illness, etc.) which are not always under our control so we do not worry about them.  Our chief concern is to give ourselves a punchers chance and that is how you do it.

I will just run easy between now and then, but some bigger miles (probably 12, 8, and 8) since this isn't really my goal race - just one I always enjoy. Usually a 40-minute 5-miler is fairly easy for me, but it seems like I have lost all of my speed over the last year or so. I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of it, though, if I'm able to hit the mileage I need to  have a good marathon April 26.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

happylily

12 miles, 8:27 mpm. My legs felt like lead. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010