Beginners and Beyond

Wednesday Penguins are Networking (Read 24 times)

Dad on the run.

Hi. Life with the baby is going as well as can be expected. Still searching for a routine that works. Running is sporadic at best but I'm getting out there when I can.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

From the Internet.

sapf - I tweaked what I'm pretty sure was my anterior tibial tendon, I think it happened when I rolled my ankle at a race a week and a half ago. Was fine during the race, all day Monday and for a 6 miler early Tuesday, then it suddenly got stiff and I was limping on Tuesday afternoon. Seems to be fine now, just playing it safe so I don't wind up having to take more time off because of it.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The awkard lifeguard on Monday asked me if I "lived with my parents"... I don't know if that was his weird way of flirting with me or not, but it was a bit strange considering my 29th birthday is Saturday.

Well now, sapf, this just begs for you to post a photo now so we can see if you look as young as all the other ladies here do...and also they all lie about their age..personally, I think none of them is over 35...     I'm the only person here who IS old and looks it. 

Zelanie, since I'm not a 'racer' anymore and now strictly a fun-runner these days I can be very 'loose and unstructured' with all the runs I do, lol. So I just try to have as much fun out there as possible.  If that means stopping once in a while to play with a butterfly, so be it!  He/she (it?) was one cool butterfly too.  I decided to 'give chase' to it for a few moments and zig-zagged all along as I followed its weaving path.  Then I stood stock-still and held my hand out straight and still...and after a minute or two it came and landed on the top of my hand and stayed there for a few seconds...as if it were studying me as I was studying it, lol.  Then it was off through the trees and I resumed my run and restarted my run/walk timer.  Fun stuff! 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Hi Pens.

Massage, watch soccer, run forty minutes. In that order.

Klompus, out.

What the heck is watch soccer?  You can't afford a soccer ball?  Well, if you you use your watch, you'd sure be killing some time! 

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

From Jerry yesterday:  Scotty, is SA trying to get off the most unfit city list?

That is exactly what they are doing, lol.  It annoyed the crap out of our Mayor that Austin, only an hour up the road from us was listed as one of the most fit cities and we were just about, if not all the way ranked at the top, of the most UNFIT cities, and have been for several years.

So the 'greenway trail building' program began a few years ago and now we have connecting trails that go all over the place for lots and lots of miles; which, of course, was loved by we folks who have been runners the whole time; hell, we tried to get the city to do this years ago and it was always 'no, too expensive' or there were higher priorities, etc.  I guess a few years of bad publicity goes a long ways, lol.

Then the city-wide fitness program began with making all these different types of events available, and once a month on a Sunday our city closes one of our downtown main streets to traffic all day - it's called the Siclovia event - and people can go out on that street and run, walk, bike, rollerblade, whatever their choice of exercise is.

It's all good but I don't know if we will make the healthy city list, ever.  We have a population that has one of the highest rate of diabetes in the nation and, of course, the majority of restaurants here are not exactly the healthiest food places since Texans love their Mexican, Tex-Mex, and beef/steak dishes.  But it is getting better little by little and at least now the effort is being made.

SheCan

7.3 on the TM.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Docket_Rocket

7.3 on the TM.

Did you get my email with your captains included?  Hope you enjoy being part of a team!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

SheCan

Did you get my email with your captains included?  Hope you enjoy being part of a team!

Oh yes, thank you!!!  I just answered them.  :-)   I'm just slow sometimes.  And I think you're right, maybe this is just what I need to find my mojo again.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Docket_Rocket

Oh yes, thank you!!!  I just answered them.  :-)   I'm just slow sometimes.  And I think you're right, maybe this is just what I need to find my mojo again.

I love being on a team.  It makes me run what I have planned (so that they don't kill me). 

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page