Beginners and Beyond

Paint Fumes, Diesel Fumes, and Dust, Oh My! (Read 63 times)

Walk-Jogger

I'm in  a less-than mellow mood this morning, and just need to vent a little. The multi-vitamin thread got me started on this tangent.

As I mentioned there, my 107 lb DW can take the adult vitamin pills with no stomach problems, but they irritate my stomach. But she's also not bothered CRAP like by paint fumes, bleach and ammonia and other cleaning product fumes, furniture polish fumes, and assorted chemical fragrances, all things that annoy the hell out of me, and she doesn't seem to mind how much they make me gag and hack when she starts cleaning around the house. 

She's also having the inside of the house painted right now, and since it's cold out, we can't really leave all the windows open. I haven't been able to run for the past two days from the effects of the latex paint fumes and contact cement (new counter tops) - my resting pulse is up several points in the morning even after taking two days off completely from running, and I even had to walk  several times on my last run on Tuesday.  I'm supposed to race a local 5K tomorrow, and I'm worried about how that's going to go down after the week I've had.  

In addition to the paint and contact cement fumes indoors at home, I've tried running outdoors in the afternoon from work a few times recently and there was a non-stop barrage of double-dump trucks pumping out diesel fumes and smoke and stirring up road dust while driving on the road along side the trail for 6 miles. Seems we have a lot of construction going on at WSU for some new football facility. Diesel fumes and road dust - NOT a healthy combination for the lungs and heart. 

<Insert string of expletives here>

Retired &  Loving It

Mostly harmless

Feel better now that you've gotten that off your chest?

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

Walk-Jogger

I feel a bit better after a nice short INDOOR run this morning, and now sitting in my office where the air is clean, and drinking my morning cup of coffee.

Surely I'm not  the only runner here bothered by having to breath dirty polluted air too much of the time? You would think, since I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere,  that we would have clean air, but we actually don't for most of the year. If it's not trucks and diesel fumes or a dust storm, it's farmers burning their fields spring and fall or forest fires in the fall and then fireplace smoke all winter from people heating with wood and trash in their fireplaces. One of my co-workers died of lung cancer a couple of weeks ago. He was not a smoker. It makes you stop and think about these things...

Retired &  Loving It

happylily

Sounds like your wife is looking for a tougher, less whiny husband.  Also, do you have a good life insurance? Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

Feel better!  I hate to do any kind of work around the house because of that.  Good thing it's not my house or I would already be at the hospital with severe asthma related crap from that.

Hope things improve.  Do you have fans you can turn on while you're there.  They work better than an AC for purposes of moving some of the smells out of a specific room.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

happylily

I call it survival of the fittest. Or natural selection. Obviously, your DW is made of the right stuff.

Just kidding... How do you explain that your wife is not bothered by the stuff, though?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Singer who runs a smidge

Go Cougs!!  Yeah, I don't have much else to contribute.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Drive somewhere else. Go for a run.

Walk-Jogger

Feel better!  I hate to do any kind of work around the house because of that.  Good thing it's not my house or I would already be at the hospital with severe asthma related crap from that.

Hope things improve.  Do you have fans you can turn on while you're there.  They work better than an AC for purposes of moving some of the smells out of a specific room.

LOL - Thanks, Damaris - we don't use AC here, we use a furnace and heat. It's running, and that does help keep the air in the house moving around. I've been opening windows to bring in some fresher air, but overnight somebody keeps closing them to save heat since the temps ares still around freezing here.

Retired &  Loving It

Walk-Jogger

Drive somewhere else. Go for a run.

I can and will do that from now on, but it's sad that I park my car at work right along a nice bike-pedestrian trail but now can't use it for running because of the truck traffic and pollution. I was trying to save time and avoid driving to get in my outdoor run after work.

Retired &  Loving It

Docket_Rocket

If it's not your wife, I suggest a recon mission, haha.

LOL - Thanks, Damaris - we don't use AC here, we use a furnace and heat. It's running, and that does help keep the air in the house moving around. I've been opening windows to bring in some fresher air, but overnight somebody keeps closing them to save heat since the temps ares still around freezing here.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Oh, and next time, PAINT IN THE SUMMER!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

#artbydmcbride

Can you book a week at a local hotel and get away until the fumes disperse?  Environmental triggers are known to cause all kinds of havoc in the systems of those sensitive to them.

Runners run

Walk-Jogger

Can you book a week at a local hotel and get away until the fumes disperse?  Environmental triggers are known to cause all kinds of havoc in the systems of those sensitive to them.

It looks like the weather is going to warm up a bit starting Saturday,  and we might even see 60 degrees every day for the next week, if the weatherman is not embellishing the forecast too much. So I have high hopes that windows can be left open all week. The indoor wall painting will continue for several more days. The thought of leaving and getting a room at the Holiday Inn did cross my mind more than once this past week, during the night.

Retired &  Loving It