Beginners and Beyond

First adventure into trail running! (Read 84 times)

StepbyStep-SH

Pace is all relative on trails - my run today ranged from 11Tight lippedx miles to a couple that were nearly 19 minutes when I was reduced to hiking the extra steep areas. But if you can get views like these, it's worth it.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Dad on the run.

LTH - HAHA, that's true, we were only looking for about 3 to 4 miles, but just kept running telling ourselves that the trail had to pop out somewhere eventually... 6 miles later we were back at our cars!

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

LRB

LRB - Oh yea! I've been running pain free since Feb.

Excellent!

delicate flower

The middle part looks like a deformed penis.

This made me LOL.  Good stuff, JBJ.  You got lost too, so that officially makes you a trail runner.

<3

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Dang, that looks like some tough trail elevation there!  Congrats on your trail running experience, Jimmy.  I like trail-running in my local area.  We have plenty of parks with trails.  However, I can't do trails like the ones you did, with THAT elevation, mine have to be fairly easy trails because of my stupid back.  And yep, I too go much slower on trails.  You did and average of 12:53 for your trails and you know how much slower I am than you...so imagine how long I would've been out there, lol.  They might have had to send a rescue party out for me!

Congrats on your trail running!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Not quite right

Most people get scared when they see crazy elevation profiles and freak but remember there is a fair amount of walking on the trails. last trail run

This was Fridays run as someone who rarely sees a paved road remember running is more mental than physical. So don't let the trails scare yea get out and take your time. We averaged a 15 min mile pace with our stops and the down hill route was little stepper than normal.   The biggest thing I see with new trail runners is they think we are running up those big ass hills and the answer is no we run up till we get to walk point hoping the next time up we run little further up. I tell people all this time you run this once a month and those little hills in a road race become the passing lane !! run safe all

happylily

OMG... I'm so not made for that stuff... You rock!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

RabbitChaser

Trail running is a BLAST! I've been hooked ever since my first trail run 4 years ago.

GinnyinPA

I really enjoy trail running when I can do trails that aren't too rocky.  When we traveled to Florida, there were some great state parks there and in Georgia that were cruise trails.  Last week in the Shenandoahs I kept thinking, "This trail would be so much fun to run!"  But where I live the trail tends to be pretty rocky with short steep climbs, so I haven't done a lot of running around here.  The good parts are great, but the rocky bits are slow even when hiking.  There is a trail running group that does several races and has weekly runs, but I haven't tried to join them because I am so slow at it.  The climbing thing does take some getting used to.  Even the really easy trail I sometimes run, a cross country ski trail, has 500' of climbing in 3 miles.  It's hard to be fast, but it is fun.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Time to ditch the Garmin, grow some dreds, and wear board shorts while running.

You people have issues