Beginners and Beyond

It's a Super Penguin Weekend (Read 26 times)

on my way to badass

Shopping done. I got Dark Horse Scotty Karate Scotch Ale and Lake Placid Ubu Ale. I have to quit the beer after the Super Bowl. We're going to a party and it is important to show up with the good stuff.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

"Who is Ryan Hall and why are you meeting him at 11:00?"  LMAO!!!

5 recovery miles done. Now I'm off to get DD2's hair chopped. She wants to take off a foot. Her idea.

Zelanie

My DD just did got all her hair chopped off yesterday.  She was excited at first, but I don't know that she's thrilled with how it came out.  But that could be because the boys at Robotics were being their usual obnoxious selves.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Hi all.  I've fallen off the running wagon and onto the carb wagon in a big way this week.  I'm heading downstairs for at least 2.4 miles on the TM to bring me to a paltry 90 for the month of January.  I'm thinking of streaking again for the month of Feb because I felt really good during the holiday running streak.  I need to stop letting myself make excuses not to run.  I hate hate hate winter :-(

Tomorrow I'm running a 4 mile race with DH.  I won't be racing it in any sense of the imagination (especially because of my half last weekend) but it is good to register him for races to keep him running.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

GinnyinPA

Mitch - that's a long run for Bella.  Good dog!

Traci - funny story.

PAD - that's a really good month.  I was only 145 this month.

Brilliant and Damaris - have fun tomorrow.

Z - you're ready for a half, at least.  Any available this time of year where you live?

SF - have fun at your superbowl party.  We don't drink a lot of beer, so we try to get good stuff when we do, plus it's fun to try different kinds.

Jack - good job on the 5.

sapf - where you live, it really gets hard to run outdoors in winter and there probably aren't a lot of races right now either.  But one more month and there will be signs of spring.  Just hang in there.

There's a group run/unofficial race tomorrow I'm thinking of doing.  I heard about it on Facebook (I follow the pages of several of the running clubs for nearby towns) and I think it's open to all.  It's a Groundhog Day Almost A Half Marathon - 12.5 miles from Gettysburg to a pub in Emmitsburg, MD, and only $10.  No official timing or prizes, just a run for fun.  At least 50 people have signed up for it.  Trouble is, I really don't want to race right now and I'm not sure I can keep it slow when I'm surrounded by people.  But I need a long run anyway, and it would be more fun doing it with others for once. DH is willing to drop me off and pick me up at the other end. I may wait to see if it's raining/snowing in the morning.

Zelanie

Ginny- That sounds like a fun event.  Just the opportunity to run a new course and to do a point-to-point long run sounds good.  I get you about not wanting to race, though.  It's like you can only fill the tank up so far, you don't want to lose what you've built.

Hi Pengs!

Where did this week go? Holy Moly. Glad to see everyone. 

Jerry - way to break 100. What a great milestone to break. December was 105 for me, January 108, my highest ever.

Lauren - glad you have a PT plan. I hope this makes you feel stronger soon.

Zelanie - 185! You ROCK!!

Hog - a sunrise run...sounds so pretty.

Traci - so funny!!

PAD - never say never! You seem to really rack up the miles.

Brilliant and DR - so cool you get to meet. If ever anyone's in the KC area, let me know. Would love to go for a run with you!

Today was a pretty goofy day. My gal pals came over for a birthday brunch (double nickle!!). When they were leaving my DFI had an accident and DH took him to the hospital. He's fine now. Then two DGD came over to spend the night. Able to get my 5 miles in later than I thought, but proud I got out there. It was cold and rainy, but got 'er done. Expecting more of the same tomorrow. 12 miles in the yuck -- hmmm, going to really smother that evil twin between my ears.

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Happy Birthday, Kathleen and congrats on the mileage PR.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Go out there and kill it today Brilliant =D

I ran a 4 mile race with DH this morning.  Did it at training pace and didn't race it given that I ran a half last weekend.  Pace for the 4 mile race was about 10 seconds slower than pace for the half.  DH did okay considering it was only his 4th run of the year.  I've got him on a training plan to run the brooklyn half.  He'll almost certainly beat me at it - my goal is to run double his mileage during the build up to it and try to keep up with him.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

hog4life

Happy Birthday Kathleen!

Good luck Brilliant, and have fun.

I got 6.85 on the trails this morning. It was rather difficult after yesterday's 16 miler.

PADRunner

8 miles to finish out the week. Time to ESU at a vegetarian Thai buffet. I love buffets after Sunday runs!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens and happy birthday Kathleen. Smile

16 mile tempo run is done, 8:11 avg pace with the warm up and cool down. Time to eat and drink. Mostly drink.

Brilliant

Crushed my goal and PR @ 2:16:31. RR later Big grin

Way to go, Brilliant. Love that word "crush" -- very descriptive!

My left knee started hurting yesterday  mid-way through my run and steadily got worse when I turned around. Today, I was scheduled to do a long run of 12 miles. Thought I could go an easy 3 - 5 miles. It was clear right off, that it was only going to hurt more. Stopped and returned home after a half mile. It feels a little different than ITBS, in that it aches even when not running or walking. Going to baby me, stretch, and roll. But disappointed I didn't hit my weekly target. Oh well. I'd rather get over that than injure me.

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

Groundhog 10K Finish

Groundhog Run 10k

Look! I did it. I posted relevant pictures! Woohoo. This is a glimpse of what it looks like when running a race in the caves. Now what was so hard about that? Jeesh!!

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K