Beginners and Beyond

Does this appeal to anyone? (Read 194 times)

Docket_Rocket

I agree.  It's the humidity (really, it's the dewpoint, rather than humidity) that breaks runners more.

At  110 F, 0% humidity, the "feels like" temperature is 99 F. At 50% humidity, the feels like temp is 150 F.

I'd call that a lot of difference.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

And that chart makes me realize I've run in 95F and a humidity worthy of 136F.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Hottest Sporting Event Ever

Don't you just love that they don't provide any way to comment or give feedback unless you have a Twitter account, and that wouldn't appear on the web page anyway. All too many of these self-styled Yahoo Experts don't know what they're talking about.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Walk-Jogger

And that chart makes me realize I've run in 95F and a humidity worthy of 136F.

And around here, when we (rarely) get up to 95 degrees, the humidity is usually around 6-9% or so, so feels like less than 90 F. I can't even imagine what 95 F and 80% humidity feels like because it never happens here.

Retired &  Loving It

Docket_Rocket

Like I said, dewpoint is worse than humidity for runners. So, it is typical in August and September for me to run at 97F and 76 dewpoint. If I run mornings, 87F an 80 dewpoint feels way worse (and that's what, 97% humidity?)  I've run in dry heat and it's OK.  Of course it feels hot, but better than the soup down here.  However, my answer is still no (to the event), ha!

And around here, when we (rarely) get up to 95 degrees, the humidity is usually around 6-9% or so, so feels like less than 90 F. I can't even imagine what 95 F and 80% humidity feels like because it never happens here.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Love the Half

Meh, I've done 7 or 8 miles in 95+ degree weather with high humidity on plenty of occasions.  It's not pleasant and you're jogging more than running but it won't kill you.  Our Gulf Coast folks routinely run in that kind of weather.  Calling this "the hottest race on the planet" when Badwater is out there is like calling a race "the toughest race on earth" when the Barkley marathons is out there.  Not that I'll ever be remotely of the caliber necessary to do it but I can understand folks running Badwater.  That's all about elite runners pushing the outside of the human envelope.  This nonsense is just so people can brag about running in it.

For anyone who hasn't heard about the Barkley marathons, here's a nice article.

Barkley marathons

I like the quotes from competitors:

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Docket_Rocket

I would love to do Badwater.  Jogging in 1000F degrees for hours?  I got that covered.

Seriously, I would love to do it.  But hence, I'm not elite.  Boo, hiss.

Meh, I've done 7 or 8 miles in 95+ degree weather with high humidity on plenty of occasions.  It's not pleasant and you're jogging more than running but it won't kill you.  Our Gulf Coast folks routinely run in that kind of weather.  Calling this "the hottest race on the planet" when Badwater is out there is like calling a race "the toughest race on earth" when the Barkley marathons is out there.  Not that I'll ever be remotely of the caliber necessary to do it but I can understand folks running Badwater.  That's all about elite runners pushing the outside of the human envelope.  This nonsense is just so people can brag about running in it.

For anyone who hasn't heard about the Barkley marathons, here's a nice article.

Barkley marathons

I like the quotes from competitors:

Damaris

Fundraising Page

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Calling this "the hottest race on the planet" when Badwater is out there is like calling a race "the toughest race on earth" when the Barkley marathons is out there.  Not that I'll ever be remotely of the caliber necessary to do it but I can understand folks running Badwater.  That's all about elite runners pushing the outside of the human envelope.  

Contrary to your opinion, Badwater is not all about elite runners pushing the outside of the human element.  Many of the entrants are non-elite runners and will not appear among the lists of ultra winners. The easiest of the 3 options to qualify for Badwater is simply running 3 100 mile races, at least one in the previous 12 months. One more 100 miler and Redsparkle will have met the qualifications.  As good as she is, I don't think we can classify her as elite yet. I have three friends who have one Badwater, only one of which may flirt with being called elite since he does well in his AG, but he's more well know for his pink tutu.  The field is limited for logistical and safety reasons to about 100, so many applicants aren't accepted. That may give it an aura of being elite, but that would refer more to the race than the runners.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

Docket_Rocket

Stop making me think, George!

I want to crew for Katrina on her first Badwater.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Stop making me think, George!

I want to crew for Katrina on her first Badwater.

We just have to get her to run another 100 then convince her she should enter. Having crewed there may give her some special consideration.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

Luke79

I could do this no problem, with an easy pace.  I don't see the big deal.

Rondog65

I agree with most no thanks, ran a 5K in AZ in Aug 2007 and that was enough.  Race went off at 6:00 am and it was already over 100 degrees, definitely not a PR, probably the worst healthy 5K time.

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)

Hip Redux

Have you guys actually BEEN to Scottsdale in the summer?   It literally sucks the moisture right out of you.  I've never been so parched!

My first half was in Phoenix in November, and it was so incredibly dry, I felt like I was dehydrated before I even started to run.

Yes, humidity is really tough, but 115 degrees in the desert ain't no walk in the park. lol

Docket_Rocket

Also, stop making me think I could do it one day!  Damn you!  Let me get through my first 50K first.....

But yes, wouldn't that be awesome?  She would have tons of people wanting to crew for her.

We just have to get her to run another 100 then convince her she should enter. Having crewed there may give her some special consideration.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

When I travel to the desert, the 100+F actually feels nicer than back home with its high humidity.  It feels hot, but nothing like your body trying to cool itself down and not being able to that kills you.

That is something separate from the 130F+ at Badwater.  I won't comment on that because I might melt there.

Have you guys actually BEEN to Scottsdale in the summer?   It literally sucks the moisture right out of you.  I've never been so parched!

My first half was in Phoenix in November, and it was so incredibly dry, I felt like I was dehydrated before I even started to run.

Yes, humidity is really tough, but 115 degrees in the desert ain't no walk in the park. lol

Damaris

Fundraising Page