Beginners and Beyond

1 Mile Prediction Run (Read 68 times)

This Saturday, I'm racing a one mile Prediction Run in Atlanta.  Participants are barred from wearing any watches or any other device which may convey time.  When you register, you enter your prediction for the one mile time.  Awards will be presented to the top 20 finishers who finish closest to their predicted finish time without exceeding it. 

Have any of you run a race like this one previously?  Did you like it?  Since I've only raced one 1 mile race previously, this race peaked my curiosity to run it.  I'm not expecting much from my performance as my running has been spotty lately, but I will try to run my fastest.  For me, definitely a litmus test of running by time versus running by feel approach.

Also this race is by gun time not chip time, so I will eyeball the physiques of the men and woman near the start, and place myself appropriately much farther back for the from the start.  No need for me trampled over in the first few feet of the race.

Who knows, I may have an improbable finish like my Auburn Tigers.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

Love the Half

I love the idea but I'm not crazy about the execution.  Given that it's a gun timed race, if there are a lot of people running, your time can be seriously affected unless you line up in the first couple of rows.  I wouldn't come terribly close if I started cold but I think I could be within 5 seconds of my predicted time if I was warmed up appropriately and if I simply tried to run easy rather than trying to run as hard as possible.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

LRB

The idea is not so far fetched when you think about it.  I mean, we use the term goal when discussing what we think we are going to run at any given event.  There really is no difference between goal time and predicted time except goal time usually infers a bit more hope (Ala a wing & a prayer).

Unless it is on a Boulevard, the slower runners may lose a second or two but on their official time.  But the mile is such a rare tasty treat that I would not pass on the chance!

Looking at your log, your PR's are current so I would throw a 7:45 out there as a possibility.  Just make sure to get a decent warmup of a mile or two in then go out there and "Resist the bodies urge to self preserve".

LRB - the Morningside Mile, I ran 7:54 in a chip timed event.  Some down and up hills and 3 turns.  This event, I entered a predicted time of 7:58 to account of 7:53 goal time with 5 seconds added for how back I may be from starting time.  I have not found any course description or mapmyrun description online yet.  Do not know whether it's straight or several turns.  Also do not know whether it has hills which is most likely in Atlanta.  Also like you and others suggested on my last mile attempt, I did run warm-ups for about 20 minutes prior to the race.  I intend to do the same.

I have nothing to lose, and everything to gain from this new racing experience.  And that 7:45 would be sweeet!

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

It sounds really fun! I'd like to do something like that.

- Andrew

I under dressed for this race for some reason, I thought the temp at race time would be 48 degrees.  I believe it was  a cold 40 degrees. So I wore a hoodie until about 15 mutes prior to gun time.  Then I tossed the hoodie and had just a tech shirt  and running shorts.

Emulating LRB, i did about 25 minutes of warm-up down the road and through the cemetery which we would race through.

At gun, I was about 5 or 6 runners  deep from the start line.  We ran down a short road straight into Oakland cemetery.  About 3/4 down one path we turned left and started a loop back out of the cemetery.  When we exited the cemetery, it was straight running to the finish line.

Tonight I discovered my finishing time was 7:58:55.  0::00:55 over my predicted time.  So no prizes for me.  However I am very happy to achieve this time with no watch to pace myself during the race,  Plus,  there was naturally no Big Finish time clock  at the finish line to glance at to  generate a boost for the final kick.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

There's one of these in NYC during the summer. But I couldnt go.....I think it was on a weeknight and I wouldn't have gotten off work in time to make it. Cool concept!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Love the Half

Wow.  That is insanely close to your prediction.  How close were the winners?

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

LTH - The winner beat his predicted time by 00:00:01 = Amazing!

Hip Redux

You were close!

There is a prediction run locally -  this year's winner was within a few seconds of their  time for the 4.8 miles!  Crazy.