Beginners and Beyond

Guess somebody ought to do it SaturDAILIES (Read 39 times)

happylily

Care to give us a dew point with that lil?  

LOL... I missed the math course that Damaris (and Eric?) gave us recently. Anyway, I'm sure it was pitiful compared to that of our heroes down south. However, because I'm evil, I'm going to say it was 81F with... hmmm... 79F dew point. How's that? Are you all pitying me? 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

I am so impressed by Kevin's bravery and determination. I'm sure it's not easy for him, but I think a lot of what he does he must do for the love of his mother. He's a good son. 

+1

Drive a half mile with him and show him what he ran, that's yuge!

happylily

Good morning folks...  Will try to do personals a bit later.

I had a 5-mile race this morning that was a bit disappointing.  I started too fast (the first mile was uphill also) and the heat ended up really getting to me by about halfway through.  I will put it behind me, though, and move forward.  Next race is in about 5 weeks and it's where I set my 5-mile PR last year.

You have the right attitude. Move forward. It's hard to judge the correct pace in the summer heat. We have goals for ourselves which seem reasonable, but need to be adjusted to the weather, and that's hard to accept. But the more you race that distance, the better at judging you will become. I admire you for racing in that heat. I couldn't do it myself...

happylily

AFM:  My 5K does not start until  11 a.m.  It will be 83 degrees with a 'feels like' temp of 88, humidity of 87% and a dew-point of 73.  Sweat, sweat, sweat!   This 5K is being done as a fun-run as part of my running club's annual luncheon and meeting.  Run scheduled for an hour, from 11 to noon (so slow-pokes like me will have plenty of time to finish, lol), then lunch from noon to 1 PM and then our actual meeting after that where we vote in officers for the year and hand out our scholarship money to deserving local students who are also runners.    Lunch is at an eatery called Two Bros. Barbecue

Two Bros Does it Slow and LowExpand

Lots of shade and a nice outdoor patio to enjoy after the run...not to mention really good barbecue.   The park we will do the 5K run in is conveniently right across the street from the eatery

Scotty, it looks totally Texan and quaint! It also looks like it could be the location of a horror movie set in some small Southern town, where two brothers use lost tourists as their BBQ meat. (you can tell I've seen a lot of B movies ). No, really, it looks nice. :-) I hope you had fun!

LRB

Back from the movie (Transformers 4).  I have had a light headache all day, sigh.

That movie is getting hammered by critics, what say you?

happylily

I have broken yet another pair of sunglasses, that's like the fourth pair in the past two months!  

Do you have a habit of inadvertently sitting on your purse like I do? That is why I never buy expensive sunglasses. They never last me long...

LRB

Do you have a habit of inadvertently sitting on your purse like I do?

You following me around woman? 

Mine are not expensive either but it takes time to find a pair that that I like so it pisses me off because now I must start the search anew.

StepbyStep-SH

Lily - That sounds like a lovely breakfast! And thank you for the compliment (and LRB, too) on Kevin. Sometimes I forget that he struggles with some things that are completely non-issues for the rest of us, and that overcoming those emotions is as much a victory as any first place ribbon ever could be.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

I have broken yet another pair of sunglasses, that's like the fourth pair in the past two months!  

Amazingly (at risk of jinxing myself), I never seem to break or lose sunglasses. I used to always buy the cheapo drugstore kind, and would replace them after a few years when I got sick of them. My wife finally bought me some really expensive ones for my birthday 6 years ago, which I love & I am still wearing. The tip of the part that goes over one of the ears broke off a while back, I think purely from metal fatigue, but they are still wearable. She tells me to get new ones, but I'm good with them.

BTW, 8 miles this morning, felt OK. The trick I guess is avoiding running in consecutive days. Anyone got a marathon plan running 3 days/week? Wait, I did that once, it didn't work out so well.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

It was hilarious that the two comedians, Jiffy Wild and Josh Wolf made a song about how fucking hot and humid we are.  Made my day.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

That movie is getting hammered by critics, what say you?

As usual, I go with whatever is contrary to the reviews.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

5.1 easy at Chestnut Ridge,  then 3.87 faster after coming home.  Praying that within a few more days of steady improvement I can get back on the Pfitz bus.