Beginners and Beyond

Monday Penguins - 2012 Is Going, Going... (Read 189 times)

Docket_Rocket

I run a lot of miles and I still think McMillan paces are aggressive.  I run 1-1:30mm slower than what he says.

I'm going to have to keep this short.  We've got a very hectic day.

My Mom - I'm going up to see her again shortly.  I haven't heard anything, and my Dad has been staying with her.  So, things are either getting better or they are the same.

My Running - I ran 7 miles today with 6 strides for a total 7.6 miles.  The Saucony Omni 11's are so nice to run on.  Don't get me wrong.  The Brooks are my favorite shoe for running fast right now, but for distances at easy pace the Saucony's are the bomb.  My knee feels great.  I did a lot of stretching afterwards, and plan on doing my knee exercises and core work again Wednesday.  My glutes are still screaming at me.

McMillan Paces - I think they're great, but you have to take your training into consideration.  I had 18 mile long runs, and the pace McMillan gave me for my HM based on a 5K race were easily maintained.  They seemed very aggressive when I first saw them, but I actually came in 5 seconds per mile faster with a smile on my face.  If your long runs are shorter than HM distance, I imagine that your endurance and stamina might make those paces hard to maintain.  For example, my VDOT suggests that I could run a marathon at a 9:20 pace according to Jack Daniels pace table.  I'm not trained for that distance yet though.  So, if I want to have any chance of finishing a marathon today, I'd have to add significant time to that pace.  Does that make sense?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Happy new year, Pens... I hope you are all well. I am off to do an easy five or six.  Man, I am excited about feeling so good. My miles are building and the IT band feels good! Tomorrow, DW and I are off to Laughlin, NV (with no kids!) for some R and R. We like to play bingo and sit in the sports book, maybe a little blackjack. We are not big gamblers but we like the Bloody Mary's at one place and the bingo is a lot of fun. It is an older crown in Laughlin, nothing like Las Vegas, so DW and I are always the youngest ones there!

Have fun tonight and be safe out there.

See you in 2013.

tracilynn

So if mcmillan says my pace for a HM should be 11:20 should I add time to that?

Jack, that sounds like a nice new years eve.  Have fun with the old bingo ladies Big grin

We are going out to eat dinner.  Inlaws are babysitting so dinner without 3 toddlers will be HEAVEN.

~~~~~~~

Traci

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Got 4 miles on the track today w/dw.  Felt good after  3 RD's.  That's it for 2013.  Based on 8 months on Daily Mile and 4 months estimated on running time, we are amazingly at 1,000.1 miles for 2012. But, who is counting?

We'll keep better track in 2013, (if I ever make up my mind on the Garmin).  Goal is 1,200 + 13.1.

HAPPY NEW YEAR. !!!!!

Zelanie

Traci, I would say see what pace feels good on your long runs during your training cycles, and aim for that.  I wouldn't aim to run *faster* during your race than you run in training since the distance will likely be your biggest challenge.

Hey everyone.  Hope you all have a fun, relaxing, however you celebrate or don't, new years eve.  I'm planning just a mile tonight.  I have a 5k and polar plunge in the morning.  Most likely will be my slowest 5k ever but that's alright with me.

I may be slow but I never quit.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Another URD Sad can hardly even walk on the knee Sad. Good luck to all the racing penguins!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Hope the knee gets better soon.

I may be slow but I never quit.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Traci, I would say see what pace feels good on your long runs during your training cycles, and aim for that.  I wouldn't aim to run *faster* during your race than you run in training since the distance will likely be your biggest challenge.

Wish I could figure a pace for my first HM, but the hills are going to slow me down a bit.  Better add 1:00 to my 10k pace.

Scott:  No midnight runs for us.  We are New Year party poopers.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

thanks eatsfood, me too! wish I knew what I did to it. Must have tweaked it during my run Friday morning and didn't even realize it.

Have a happy new year everyone!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Came home from work and ended up doing 6 miles on the dreadmill.  I tend to land foot forward when the ground is stable so my heal feels great after the run.  Great way to finish up the year.

This will be the last time I'm on for 2012 - Happy New Year and may everyone have a blessed year to come.

Tori Runs in PA

Pittsburgh RN!

Hoping all of my fellow penguins stay safe tonight!!

AFM: Hubby and I are staying at home! So excited about it, too!

Do or do not, there is no try. 

My first races EVER! 

Saxonburg Distance Series 5KRaces: 

#1: 7-14-2012 Cross Country Crusade 5K: 42:50 

#2: 8-11-2012 Roebling's Run 5K: 38:54

#3: 9-8-2012 Festival of the Arts 5K: 36:37

Jen2011

Back for some more personals!

Thanks, Mitch.  I hope your knee cooperated on your run today.  Sorry about the third shift starting back up again.

Tomas, hope you enjoy the family time and the rest day!

Zelanie, thanks for the kind words!  Hope you have a safe and fun trip to Seattle, and that your first HM workout went well!

Thanks, Traci.  It's supposed to be cold and rainy, and it's a hilly route.  But I'll be happy starting my year racing!  Enjoy the dinner out without the little ones!

Bin, Happy New Year!!

Lauren, hope you had a good day today, and happy birthday to your DD!

Thanks, Dave!

Steph, enjoy the SRD!

LOL, Scotty!  You crack me up!  Hope you stay dry at your race!  Looking forward to reading your first RR of the new year!

Awood, I hope things are improving for your mom!  Glad you had a good run and your knee is doing well.

Jack, glad to hear the IT band is not bothering you and you had a good run.  Enjoy the trip with your wife!  Sounds like lots of fun!

Jerry, congrats on the 1000+ miles for you and DW in 2012!

Eatsfood, good luck on your race and polar plunge!  There's a polar plunge after my race tomorrow, but I'm skipping it 'cause I'm a big wimp.  Brrrrrrr....

Kristin, so sorry about the knee!  I hope the rest heals it quickly!

N-Bug, glad the treadmill miles were good for your heel!

Happy New Year, Penguins!!

Jen

Upcoming races:

Covenant Health Knoxville 5K 4/7/13 (and cheering on DH for his 1st Marathon!!)

Rock and Roll Chicago Half Marathon 7/21/13

Tower of Terror Ten Miler 10/5/13

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Hoping all of my fellow penguins stay safe tonight!!

AFM: Hubby and I are staying at home! So excited about it, too!

Yay, we have company  !!!!!

Docket_Rocket

Hope it feels better soon!

Another URD Sad can hardly even walk on the knee Sad. Good luck to all the racing penguins!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page