Beginners and Beyond

Easy Run Training Question (Read 108 times)

Shakedown Street

I am in the middle of the "run faster" intermediate HM plan. So far I am loving the plan, I like the progressive element to the Long Run, the hills are fun, and the fartlecks are a nice change of pace. The threshold runs are challenging-they suck-but in a good way. I feel 'accomplished' when I complete these runs.

I have two days of easy runs around 6-8 miles each. I am getting very bored and have had a hard time finishing these runs. Part of me wants to think it is because there is no challenge to it, another part of me is worried that I might be putting too much out on the harder days-and I am left tired on the easy/recovery days, another thought is that I am more worried about work (tax season) and feel like I should not be out for an 8 mile recovery/easy run.

So...what say more experienced runners. Am I overtraining? Is it stress from work? Is it boredom? How can you/I tell?

My HR in the mornings is OK. Sleep is good, but could be better. Not sick. My legs do feel tired some days, but I think that is not extraordinary.

Started-5/12, RWOL refugee,5k-24:23 (1/12/13),10K-55:37(9/15/12),HM-1:52:59(3/24/13)

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I think the company line in these parts is that none of us can ever really approach true over-training with the mileage we do. That isn't to be confused with saying that we can't do too much too soon though. Did you have a good base prior to starting Hudson? It's really hard to say what your trouble is, as outside stressors can certainly play a role too.

I'm using Hudson Marathon 3 as my guide, and I like my easy days. It just feels like the other runs I'm really focused on the specifics, so the easy days are just fun. Did you used to feel bored on easy days? Tracking your heart rate sounds smart. If that isn't spiking, and you aren't feeling overly beat up, I'd try pushing through it. If you're still not feeling it, add a rest day, or as many as you may need.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I think the company line in these parts is that none of us can ever really approach true over-training with the mileage we do.

If so the company line doesn't understand over-training. Consistently doing more than our fitness level supports and not allowing sufficient recovery can lead to over-training whether you're running 20 mpw or 120 mpw. It's the lack of recovery and growing chronic fatigue that leads to over-training. That can happen at any level.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

MrNamtor

If so the company line doesn't understand over-training. Consistently doing more than our fitness level supports and not allowing sufficient recovery can lead to over-training whether you're running 20 mpw or 120 mpw. It's the lack of recovery and growing chronic fatigue that leads to over-training. That can happen at any level.

You really need to post more often. Just my humble opinion.

skygazer

I think I over trained last summer, most because I didn't slow down--running all the miles, easy or speedwork, way too fast in the heat. By fall when the weather got nicer and most runners got faster, my runs got slower and felt difficult.

I remember SueInTn once said that when your training gets more intense, your easy runs will get slower naturally. Don't fight it. You need to recover well for the hard workouts.

xor

I disagree.  Holding at 20mpw is not going to kick someone into "overtraining".  If you hold at 20 mpw, most folks will adjust.  This is why plateauing at certain mileage levels for a little while is goodness... and why insistent adherence to the "10% rule" is bad news. Holding at that level for awhile allows for adjustment and then recovery.

It isn't extending slightly beyond the comfort zone that gets people in trouble, if one is allowed to adjust.  It is continually going beyond that does it.  This is why beginners need to understand that the 10% rule is not really a "rule" and has a darkside.  It isn't about the "level" (the mileage), it is about the slope of the line.  To a point.

Most people who declare "overtraining" while running 10-20 mpw aren't.  They need to put in a cut-back week... or plateau for a bit.

To be specific, I mean actual "overtraining syndrome".

But that's all I will say, except for... this is yet another one of those questions which is better served on the main board.  If yall are going to declare that the party line is shit, it would be a reasonable thing to allow the party to speak up about it.

MrNamtor

I disagree.  Holding at 20mpw is not going to kick someone into "overtraining".  If you hold at 20 mpw, most folks will adjust.  This is why plateauing at certain mileage levels for a little while is goodness... and why insistent adherence to the "10% rule" is bad news. Holding at that level for awhile allows for adjustment and then recovery.

It isn't extending slightly beyond the comfort zone that gets people in trouble, if one is allowed to adjust.  It is continually going beyond that does it.  This is why beginners need to understand that the 10% rule is not really a "rule" and has a darkside.  It isn't about the "level" (the mileage), it is about the slope of the line.  To a point.

Most people who declare "overtraining" while running 10-20 mpw aren't.  They need to put in a cut-back week... or plateau for a bit.

But that's all I will say, except for... this is yet another one of those questions which is better served on the main board.  If yall are going to declare that the party line is shit, it would be a reasonable thing to allow the party to speak up about it.

Hey, great to see you!

I remember a few months ago there was this guy on rw who was saying that overtraining syndrome was something only elite runners ever experienced. He was talking about it like it was some badge of honor and a real sign that you were serious about your running. I don't remember who the poster was, but he sounded like the twin brother of broken radio.

xor

Maybe.  But there is a huge gulf of hmmmm between "only elites suffer from overtraining" and "yes, you can experience overtraining syndrome at 20mpw".  I don't think either is really true.

BTW, someone... especially on the beginner board... is going to personalize this as some kind of diss that 20mpw is "not good" or "not enough".  I'm not saying that, even kind of.  Running regularly and managing 20 mpw over lots of weeks is tremendously awesome.

If you are exhausted at your first 20 mile week, don't declare "MY GOD. I AM.... OVERTRAINED."  Just hold it for a few weeks and let magic happen.  The 10% rule gets more people in trouble than some might think.

Better I Leave

So...what say more experienced runners. Am I overtraining? Is it stress from work? Is it boredom? How can you/I tell?

I'm not an experienced runner, but may I ask what your diet is like? If you're having a hard time getting through these runs, are you running out of steam?

Zentastic

Chasing Rainbows

Easy runs and rest days are an important part of your training.

You need those to recover from your harder workouts.  Embrace the recovery days.  I do. Smile

The obstacle is the path. - Zen proverb

I am in the middle of the "run faster" intermediate HM plan. So far I am loving the plan, I like the progressive element to the Long Run, the hills are fun, and the fartlecks are a nice change of pace. The threshold runs are challenging-they suck-but in a good way. I feel 'accomplished' when I complete these runs.

I have two days of easy runs around 6-8 miles each. I am getting very bored and have had a hard time finishing these runs. Part of me wants to think it is because there is no challenge to it, another part of me is worried that I might be putting too much out on the harder days-and I am left tired on the easy/recovery days, another thought is that I am more worried about work (tax season) and feel like I should not be out for an 8 mile recovery/easy run.

My HR in the mornings is OK. Sleep is good, but could be better. Not sick. My legs do feel tired some days, but I think that is not extraordinary.

Isn't that why recovery days are in the schedule - to recover? IF you're still tired after your recovery day, then you may be doing too much on your recovery day.

You also may be feeling some pressure to get back to work and it's more of a "should I be out here running" or "should I be working" feeling - guilt complex. Wink

When I was working, I'd work at the lab during the day, go for a run, eat dinner, and start working at home - always feeling pressured by a deadline. (That was also when I was having some AT issues, so not sure which really lead to keeping runs short. Retirement and healthy AT have done wonders for my running.)

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Shakedown Street

Good thoughts folks. I appreciate it.

I noodled it some more, for me, I make notes in my log and think it is work + sleep + days the easy/recover runs occur in relation to my work schedule (mid-week when I am thinking 'o shit I need this out by thurs or fri') + the easy runs not being focused enough on the run to distract from other priorities.

it's not that I am not enjoying or struggling with these runs, but it does bring up something for me to pay attention to...

Anyways, it's 2am, my 3 year old is getting tonsils pulled first thing in the morning, so I am getting up in 3 hours. Ugh.

SRL-good to see you!

Started-5/12, RWOL refugee,5k-24:23 (1/12/13),10K-55:37(9/15/12),HM-1:52:59(3/24/13)

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I guess it was the actual syndrome to which I was referring, like you pointed out. That's why I tried to draw the distinction, saying that we could still do too much even if it wasn't overtraining. Perhaps I muddled my point by just saying too much too soon.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Trail Monster

To the OP's actual question. I think you are just feeling mid-plan fatigue plus boredom. I am 9 weeks into training and can hit all my quality workouts no problem but easy runs are still boring and dreary. There's nothing to break up the monotony and my legs are tried from the previous day's quality work. So long as you can eat, sleep, and still hit your quality workouts I would guess you are experiencing mental fatigue more than physical on easy days.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Love the Half

People want to equate overdoing it with overtraining and they are not the same thing.  "Overtraining" is a specific diagnosis and you don't recover from overtraining by taking a couple of days off.  It can take an athlete weeks or even a couple of months to recover from true overtraining.

To the OP, if you are a bit fatigued the day after a hard workout, it just means you did it right.  Too many people, me included, tend to run their hard runs too easy and their easy runs too hard.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).