Beginners and Beyond

Las Cruces 50k trail (Long with pics) (Read 97 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Awesome job!! Smile and cows........ heck I am a little concerned when I pass cows and only a barely there fence is between me and something so large just staring at me...

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Congrats, Cherie!

Very well-written report, it must be awesome to just go out and run mile after mile on a trail with nothing but scenery everywhere.  (And the occasional cow!)

Great job on the 2nd OA.

SheCan

Awesome job!! Smile and cows........ heck I am a little concerned when I pass cows and only a barely there fence is between me and something so large just staring at me...

LOL, freesoul, well, it's funny you say that.  Today I did a test run and went by some cows behind one of those slight fences, and I thought "Wow, they seem so much less scary behind that wire."   But yeah, they are BIG, and cows can and do hurt people sometimes.

Jay-- thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment!  I usually love running just out in the scenery, but I notice when I get really tired, I do crave some interaction / distraction to keep some of the defeatist thoughts down.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Just B.S.

Hubby and I ran a full in Portland ME Oct 2012. When I hit mile 16 the state police and a man with a backhoe

Were moving a herd of gigantic steer that were blocking the road. A woman running next to me and I just burst

Out laughing. It was 50 f and poured rain the entire race PLUS steer, might as well laugh. Smile

LOL, freesoul, well, it's funny you say that.  Today I did a test run and went by some cows behind one of those slight fences, and I thought "Wow, they seem so much less scary behind that wire."   But yeah, they are BIG, and cows can and do hurt people sometimes.

Jay-- thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment!  I usually love running just out in the scenery, but I notice when I get really tired, I do crave some interaction / distraction to keep some of the defeatist thoughts down.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I would be much more concerned with a bull than a cow though, but I'd rather avoid both. Smile

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

happylily

YOU TOTALLY ROCK, Cherie! Wow, this type of race and course sounds so tough to me. Yet, you managed it beautifully and gracefully. Second place woman? Congratulations! You did great! How wonderful that you turned it into a little trip for you and your loving husband and that you met with friends there. It sounds like an awesome running community. This really makes life worth all the discomfort of hours in training, doesn't it? You know, I rarely miss the fact that I don't train outdoors, but your pictures and your races are amongst the few that actually make me regret it. Soooo beautiful out there... The desert, the vastness, the silence, the pinks and purples... It is all so lovely. As lovely as you are. Always so cheerful and full of life.  Thank you for sharing with us! (unfortunately, I can only see the third picture. The others don't show up for me. :-( )

P.S. Do you live in New Mexico? Or Arizona?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

SheCan

Freesoul-- I would be much more concerned with a bull than a cow though, but I'd rather avoid bothSmile  LMAO, for sure!

Beth-- Hehehe@ your story.  I swear running/ racing is just a microcosm of life itself.  You never know exactly what's going to happen, but a good laugh sure makes it easier to take.

Lily-- thank you sweetie!  And yeah, that placement is rather deceptive considering how few people ran, but gosh darn-it, I'll take it!  I'm in Arizona.  Las Cruces is more deserty, and seems so much harsher than it is around where I live, but it has it's own kind of beauty.  There's a certain vulnerability you have to respect while out there.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Don't feel bad.  A friend and I once ran in Wales and we went over a fence because that was where the 'right-of-way" path led us...and there were cows in the enclosure....except one of them turned out to be a bull....and wow, a bull running towards you REALLY gives you some incentive to do speedwork!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

From the Internet.

Don't feel bad.  A friend and I once ran in Wales and we went over a fence because that was where the 'right-of-way" path led us...and there were cows in the enclosure....except one of them turned out to be a bull....and wow, a bull running towards you REALLY gives you some incentive to do speedwork!

How am I not surprised that this happened to you, Scotty! You do not have the best of luck with non-dog animals!

Zelanie

Cheri- You always make your races sound so easy and fun.   I am amazed at what you can do with such good spirit and a positive attitude.  Wishing it had been a bit more extreme and wanting to pick it up after 15?  I would have been quaking in my shoes thinking that I still had 15 to go!

We do have some lovely trail races and ultras out here if you're ever interested.  It might not be hot enough for you, though!

SheCan

LMAO Zelanie-- oh hush you!  You face everything head on and courageously.  I can't believe what an  ass I mustta sounded like!  And I would LOVE to run in Oregon!   I watched Rooster Cogburn last year, and was totally blown away by the scenery.  Once I found out it was in Oregon, I've been jonezin' to run there ever since.

Cherie

Zelanie

Cool, I actually haven't seen Rooster Cogburn, I'll have to check it out.

Two good local races, if you're interested, are these ones:

McDonald Forest 50K (local race, yay, but that just means I know the ridges that you have to keep running up and over).

Silver Falls Marathon and assorted other distances.  Gorgeous, but I think it usually fills up really quickly.