Beginners and Beyond

MonDAILIES: Running is fundamental (Read 45 times)

B-Plus

Hey B+ and Damaris, I know you both have many Mizuno shoes. I was looking (online) at Hitogamis, Ekidens and Universe 5. Don't think I'd touch the Universe for now, but I'm wondering about the Hitogamis. I am at my 2nd pair of Sayonaras, and they are light trainers. I'll run my half marathon in them. The Hitogamis are what? Heavy racers? Other than the numbers (weight, heel drop, etc) how do they compare? And what about the Ekidens?

Thanks

Sayonara, Hitogami, and Ekiden are all in my rotation, so I can speak to all three. I consider the Hitogami to be a distance flat, probably in a  similar class (but not necessarily similar) to Asics DS-Racer, Saucony Fastwitch, and Brooks ST5. In other words, a light shoe but not true racing flats. The Hitogami has a similar listed weight and heel/toe drop as the Sayonara, but is noticeably less shoe. If the Sayonara is already your go-fast shoe and you like it, then you may wish to leave things as is. For me, the Sayonara is my daily trainer, so then I drop down to the Hitos for tempo (and slower) workouts and races. I once tweeted, "It is almost impossible to not run fast in the @MizunoRunning #WaveHitogami."

The Ekiden is seriously less shoe, but still has some heel protection. I only use these on the track and I wore them in a 5k race once. I would suggest that if you really want to try something lighter, the Hitogami is a good candidate to serve this purpose for you, especially if you do well in the Sayonara.

I hope this answers your Qs!

B-Plus

I feel you on all of it, and applaud you on figuring out who you are as a runner/racer.  While I am currently locked into MRT, I am giddy at the thought of getting back to running only 8 to 10 miles for my long runs once it is over.

Shit, I just might run that first 10 miler backwards.  lol

I've always been surprised that you get by on that. I still like to keep things in the 2 hour range. Maybe not every week, but most weeks.

3.87 on a moonless and clear night.  51 degrees with thousands of stars and the glow of the Milky Way above.  Cars and the light above the city on my way back in were offensive by disrupting such splendor.

Cyberic

Sayonara, Hitogami, and Ekiden are all in my rotation, so I can speak to all three. I consider the Hitogami to be a distance flat, probably in a  similar class (but not necessarily similar) to Asics DS-Racer, Saucony Fastwitch, and Brooks ST5. In other words, a light shoe but not true racing flats. The Hitogami has a similar listed weight and heel/toe drop as the Sayonara, but is noticeably less shoe. If the Sayonara is already your go-fast shoe and you like it, then you may wish to leave things as is. For me, the Sayonara is my daily trainer, so then I drop down to the Hitos for tempo (and slower) workouts and races. I once tweeted, "It is almost impossible to not run fast in the @MizunoRunning #WaveHitogami."

The Ekiden is seriously less shoe, but still has some heel protection. I only use these on the track and I wore them in a 5k race once. I would suggest that if you really want to try something lighter, the Hitogami is a good candidate to serve this purpose for you, especially if you do well in the Sayonara.

I hope this answers your Qs!

Thx, I might give the Hitogamis a try. No hurry, but come Spring I'll probably race a couple of 5k's. I'll be on the lookout for sales in the meanwhile.

Docket_Rocket

Hey B+ and Damaris, I know you both have many Mizuno shoes. I was looking (online) at Hitogamis, Ekidens and Universe 5. Don't think I'd touch the Universe for now, but I'm wondering about the Hitogamis. I am at my 2nd pair of Sayonaras, and they are light trainers. I'll run my half marathon in them. The Hitogamis are what? Heavy racers? Other than the numbers (weight, heel drop, etc) how do they compare? And what about the Ekidens?

Thanks

The Hitogamis are lighter than the Sayonaras and I like them, although I do not love them.  I love the Sayonaras.  I have not tried the Ekidens.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

B-Plus

The Hitogamis are lighter than the Sayonaras and I like them, although I do not love them.  I love the Sayonaras.  I have not tried the Ekidens.

I didn't realize there were running shoes you haven't tried 

I have not tried the Ekidens.

A road mile would be reason enough.

/enabler

Docket_Rocket

I didn't realize there were running shoes you haven't tried 

There are, GASP!

Jay, I don't run short distances.  Ha.   *Shudder*

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

B-Plus

Thx, I might give the Hitogamis a try. No hurry, but come Spring I'll probably race a couple of 5k's. I'll be on the lookout for sales in the meanwhile.

That would be a good introduction. Then from there, you may decide to use them more regularly on your faster workouts.