Beginners and Beyond

What's with all the color runs? (Read 182 times)

sirdizzy

I swear there is like 4 of them locally now, color me rad, color run, color pallooza?  All 5ks.  Who wants crap thrown at them while they run.  Is it like how you will put a little cheese on a kids broccoli to get him to eat his vegetables or how they put marshmallows in lucky charms to get em to eat em.  Do people need to be tricked into running.  Like yea this is fun people are throwing crap at me.  If you don't like running don't plenty of other things you can do like biking, swimming, yoga, zumba.  ughhhh I just don't get it sounds terrible to me but they just keep popping up.  Why do you need to be tricked into running like your 4 again and someone is trying to get you to eat your vegetables be an adult and don't be tricked my 4 year old schemes.

Sloooow.

I did one in New Orleans, and the majority of people were not running. Definitely a novelty run, but it's great that people are getting friends and family together and being active.

I wouldn't do one again. The coloured dust sucks, and you're pretty much herded like cattle. The "finish" was completely congested with people taking photos with the finish line.

I did it with my youngest on my shoulders, they enjoyed it. I had blue snot for a few days.

Better I Leave

I think it's wonderful. I'm doing one in August w/ my granddaughter. She is literally telling everyone who will listen that "Papa" and her are doing a color run.

Oh...And I am so looking forward to doing it.

Ms Chenandler Bong

It's a novelty.  But if it gets someone off the couch and maybe interested in running past that day then I think that's a good thing.

Marathon and ultra marathon runner.  Sour Patch Kid addict.

I'm with you Dizz, don't get it, and won't ever do one.

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

bobruns

Down here we have tons of mud runs too.  Its a faze...?

Sloooow.

I think it's wonderful. I'm doing one in August w/ my granddaughter. She is literally telling everyone who will listen that "Papa" and her are doing a color run.

Oh...And I am so looking forward to doing it.

Honestly, you will have a blast!

They aren't focused on luring serious runners, there is no timing at all. The race number is more a prop. They want people to have a laugh, walk/run with their friends.

Better I Leave

I don't think the "point" is to trick folks into running. I think the "point" is to enjoy the experience with others, and have fun...Is that a crime? If I want to run, I'll do an HM...That's a given, is it not? Do I have fun doing it? sure, but a color run isn't an HM and isn't intended to be. I get it...I understand it. Would I do a color run on my own? Nope...

But if anyone tells me that they wouldn't do one if their 5 year child/grandchild asked them to do it with them, I'd say..."Wow". I never thought I'd do one until Carissa asked me to. My retort was immediate "You bet sweetheart! It's gonna be fun!"...She beamed. Smile

Better I Leave

Honestly, you will have a blast!

They aren't focused on luring serious runners, there is no timing at all. The race number is more a prop. They want people to have a laugh, walk/run with their friends.

WERD! Pics galore that my "Baby Girl" will be able to look back upon and smile.

happylily

I would do it in a flash if a child asked me. Like Dave is doing with his granddaughter. Alone, no. With friends... meh... I don't think so. But I'd wait for them at the finish line, with wet towels and a change of clothes. Because no one is getting into my car wearing all those gaudy colors!Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

Not my cup of tea either but I certainly don't get so worked up about it. If someone wants to run and have powder thrown on them, hey knock yourself out, I say. Doesn't affect me one bit either way. They're not being tricked into it, they think it's fun. I disagree, but nobody is trying to force me to do one, so I'm good.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Ya, I don't get either one but definitely hold the MUD RUN in lowest regard.  I can't believe they even exist but hey, if there are people crazy enough to do them, I say, "Go for it!"  Ruin a pair of shoes and support the sport!

I'd do a color run before a mud run but you won't see me in either so long as I have my faculties about me.

Randy

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Really? If it's that horrible don't do one. They're fun, I've done one and it's nice to just forget about the time and enjoy it, get messy and colorful. And it's a creative way to get a tye-dye shirt, get over it Dizzy. People want to come up with another fun way of doing something, that's their business and it's a great idea. Heck there's a 5k in Louisville I might do next year called Glow in the Park, and it's at night. Basically a bunch of people wearing those glowing necklaces and whatnot and painting themselves with glow in the dark paint and then run through some park having glowing dust or whatever thrown on them. It sounds like  a blast and in days like these, people need to let loose and just scream and holler like they're kids again, so get over it Dizzy. Not everyone is going to like it, or see what's so nice about it and that is alright, not everyone likes marathons, ultras and tri's but you don't see them coming on here complaining about it. Do your thing and let others do their thing.

I swear there is like 4 of them locally now, color me rad, color run, color pallooza?  All 5ks.  Who wants crap thrown at them while they run.  Is it like how you will put a little cheese on a kids broccoli to get him to eat his vegetables or how they put marshmallows in lucky charms to get em to eat em.  Do people need to be tricked into running.  Like yea this is fun people are throwing crap at me.  If you don't like running don't plenty of other things you can do like biking, swimming, yoga, zumba.  ughhhh I just don't get it sounds terrible to me but they just keep popping up.  Why do you need to be tricked into running like your 4 again and someone is trying to get you to eat your vegetables be an adult and don't be tricked my 4 year old schemes.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

I would do it in a flash if a child asked me. !Big grin

You want to do a color run with me Big grin

I did one, wife, kids, and friends. People had a blast. My 5yr old wants to do a real 5k now that he did a color run.

These things are a party on a race course. They don't sell them as real races, thy sell it as a party. I think runners world magazine has an article this month about them. I didn't read it though I got it for the pictures. My other magazine I get for the articles Wink

The race bib numbers are not to legitimize the race, they are to ID you to sell you pictures.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Supersono99

I wouldn't do it for myself, but if one of my kids asked me, I'd be there in an instant and probably have the time of my life. Anything that makes my kids smile is a win in my eyes!