Beginners and Beyond

Richmond Marathon, the good, the bad, the PR (Read 70 times)

delicate flower

Great race, D2!  Fantastic effort.  It's been fun watching you progress over the last couple of years, and you've certainly made some huge progress in a short amount of time.  That does suck about the unplanned late race break.  It costs you time and kills your momentum.  Congrats on the BQ.  Hopefully I'll join you in 2016.

<3

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks lily!  I ran a 10k about three weeks prior, a 38:12 put me right at sub-3 on the McMillan calculator.  I figured since all of my training had been geared towards endurance, with no speed work, that it would be a reasonable goal to shoot for.  I would have preferred a half for a tuneup race, but the 10k was all that I could fit into my schedule.

Thanks Phil!  I'm continually amazed at how far I've come in such a short time, it's crazy.  Hope to see you in Boston in '16!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Congratulations!!! Awesome job! You are one speedy guy Smile sorry about the put stops needed though....you'll definitely get sub 3:00 soon.

How far are you from Richmond? We have family friends there and I'm going in March to run the Monument Ave 10K. Any chance you're returning to Richmond for that?

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

happylily

Thanks lily!  I ran a 10k about three weeks prior, a 38:12 put me right at sub-3 on the McMillan calculator.  I figured since all of my training had been geared towards endurance, with no speed work, that it would be a reasonable goal to shoot for.  I would have preferred a half for a tuneup race, but the 10k was all that I could fit into my schedule.

Thanks Phil!  I'm continually amazed at how far I've come in such a short time, it's crazy.  Hope to see you in Boston in '16!

Yes, I forgot about your great 10K! That was a fine indicator indeed. Too bad you can't run another marathon in a month or two. You'd no doubt go sub-3:00 then.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Great job Dave, and awesome job for not falling flat on your face on that downhill Smile It stinks that you didn't get your sub-3 but you got real close even with a pit stop, which means you would have made that sub 3 your bitch if it weren't for the dreaded pit stop 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

From the Internet.

Awesome race, well done! That sub-3 will definitely be yours on your next try!

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks Kristin!  With any luck I'll be running the Marine Corps 17.75k on March 28th, so I can get into MCM, but if not I might take a look at the Monument 10k.  I'm only about an hour and 45 mins from Richmond (not sure why I was thinking it was 3 hours).

Lily, I'm tempted to give it another go, but I want to stick to my plan and go for speed, then I'll get my sub-3 next fall. Smile

Thanks Andrea!  Yeah, I'm pretty confident that I would have gotten my sub-3 without the GI issues.  I was on pace for a 2:57, so even if I had some fade I think I still could have squeaked it.

Thanks Lauren!  Next fall, another year of training, and more weight loss should make for a serious sub-3. 

-Dave

My running blog

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Great report, Dave, very entertaining!  LOL at your wife commenting to that lady about strange runner on the course shouting at women, love her sense of humor.   Nice support crew you had there with her!

Sorry you did not make your sub-3, but I have no doubt that is going to come for you.  Congrats on the PR, the BQ, and good luck with the upcoming 50K!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Ric-G

major congrats! all the hard work paid off...rest up and enjoy your recovery.

marathon pr - 3:16

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks Scotty!  She definitely has a great sense of humor, one of the many reasons I love her! Smile

Thanks Ric!  Haven't run for three days and I feel great!  Gonna go on an easy group run tomorrow.

-Dave

My running blog