Beginners and Beyond

The first 100 shoes to cross the NYC marathon (Read 102 times)

I found this kind of interesting as I am a bit of a shoe whore when it comes to running. Photos of the shoes of the first 100 runners at the NYC marathon last week:

Link to photos

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Interesting. A lot of Nikes there. I wonder if it is because they pay the highest endorsements or if the shoes are that good.

LRB

I found this kind of interesting as I am a bit of a shoe whore when it comes to running.

Thanks for posting this Fuzz!  I will definitely bookmark this page and go through it when I have some time.

There are some incredible looking legs attached to some of those shoes as well!

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Where are the Hokas?  Figured 1 or 2 might make the top hundred.  Maybe Velcro had a pair on.

LRB

After a quick glance, it seemed Nike was well represented amongst the women's leaders, while Adidas seemed to be the choice amongst the early men.

I saw a Sketcher in there too (Meb), who among you are going to rush out and buy those?!

meaghansketch

Interesting that, although the vast majority are lightweight racers, there are a couple heavier shoes in there- I saw a pair of Mizuno Wave Riders, which are a kind of midweight, neutral shoe (Mizuno website lists them at 9.9 oz-- not heavy but a far cry from the 7.4 oz of the Nike Zoom Streak 3).  Thanks for posting the link!

Love the Half

Really interesting.  Thanks for posting this.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

LRB

Interesting that, although the vast majority are lightweight racers, there are a couple heavier shoes in there- I saw a pair of Mizuno Wave Riders, which are a kind of midweight, neutral shoe

Good observation.  I tried those on at the expo last month as a possible every day trainer.

I saw a Sketcher in there too (Meb), who among you are going to rush out and buy those?!

Don't knock 'em till you try 'em. It's a really good marathon (as well as everyday) shoe (in my opinion).

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                    We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                    LRB

Don't knock 'em till you try 'em. It's a really good marathon (as well as everyday) shoe (in my opinion).

Hmm, it seems the Running Shoe Guru agrees with you:

"All told, Schechers is truly on to something. Eschewing gimmicky shoes in favor of sturdy, conservative design, the brand is making a name for itself. The GOrun Meb speed is a welcome addition to their arsenal of shoes, and hasn't left my shoe rotation since I opened the box and went out for a spin."  (link)

GC100k

I think there's a mistake. This must be the last 100.  A bunch of those look to be heel-strikers and we know that heel-strikers cannot run fast.

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

I am about 25 miles deep in a pair of goBionics.  If I had to pick just one shoe to keep out of the five different kinds in rotation, it would be the skechers.

Runner with a riding problem.

Chasing the bus

I started looking at shoes, but got totally distracted by some of those calves...the ripped muscle definition is amazing!

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
                            Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

sheepla

I too got distracted by all the awesome legs.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

I love me some of them awesome HEEL STRIKES!!! (Love when tons of elites in a major marathon are heel striking their asses off!!!)

Big grin

Randy