Beginners and Beyond

Probably going to DNS/defer marathon.. next step (Read 378 times)

I am scheduled to run Disney on January 13, but due to a lot of issues (mostly financial/being a responsible adult), I’m almost sure that we’re not going. DH really doesn’t want to go in the first place, and I’m not sure spending all that extra money is a good idea right now. (We are going to forfeit the airline fare and I’ll try to defer the registration costs).

Anyway, my question is how I should proceed. I’ve been doing some really good training recently (including two 50+ mile weeks, and a 20 miler). The next “target” race that I can see going for is the Manhattan Half on January 27. It’s a huge crap-shoot weather wise (two years ago it was 14 degrees, last year it was in the middle of a blizzard), and a tough course, but walking distance from my apartment, and cheap.

If I do this, the race would be nine weeks from now. Should I try to hop on a half-specific plan? Maybe Ryan Hall? I haven’t done any speedwork in about a month, honestly, because I’ve been so focused on my mileage.

Thanks in advance.

Love the Half

I wouldn't necessarily try to do specific training.  Use your endurance base you built in marathon training.  Get in some 30-40 minute true tempo runs and do some hill work.  If you haven't done intervals and don't want to do them, then try some fartleks.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

SheCan

Hi Amy, I don't really know what to say about your training, but I'm sorry your Disney Marathon isn't going to work out.  What a bummer.  Sad  For the upcoming Manhattan Half, try not to focus too much about what might/might not happen race day, and just use it now to be a motivating force to get over the disappointment of Disney. 

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

You DON'T necessarily have to follow a HM-specific plan but it wouldn't hurt either. What LTH suggested would work just fine. The tempo/LTs runs are what would be most beneficial for a HM. It depends on what kind of structure you want/need.
          LKDave

A month later, you could drive or take the train down to Maryland, stay with your brother, and then borrow his car and drive to Greenbelt, Maryland, where you can run around a loop three times. All for 45 bucks (plus your own transport.) No bands, no giant mice (well, at least not the cartoon kind.) Snowed out a few years ago for snowmaggeden.

Disclaimer- I have no personal experience with this race or club.

http://www.dcroadrunners.org/races/gw-marathon.html

You could also take the training that you have done so far as base building- IIRC endurance and low milage was an issue last year and make a new marathon training schedule. The half in January could be the tune up half if you go for that sort of thing, and find a marathon 6-8 weeks after that.

Docket_Rocket

Sorry about Disney.  There is no chance that you can find a cheap hotel and not forfeit the airfare?  That's got to be a huge amount to just forfeit.  Also contact the airline and see whether they can give you a voucher or something.

Sorry, hugs.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

A month later, you could drive or take the train down to Maryland, stay with your brother, and then borrow his car and drive to Greenbelt, Maryland, where you can run around a loop three times. All for 45 bucks (plus your own transport.) No bands, no giant mice (well, at least not the cartoon kind.) Snowed out a few years ago for snowmaggeden.

My brother lives in New York and doesn't have a car.

LKDave

Sorry, I thought you had kin in a DC suburb here in MD- I know which one I'm thinking of, just was being intentionally vague on the name of the town.

Sorry, I thought you had kin in a DC suburb here in MD- I know which one I'm thinking of, just was being intentionally vague on the name of the town.

Oh yes, my sister lives close by there but she works weekends.

LKDave

Sorry about the mixup. Good luck anyway.

And for a half, i would do as the others said- your increased miles will improve your time more than anything. Keep doing that. Throw in some tempo runs.

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

Your running will benefit by keeping your weekly mileage up in the 40s and 50s but unless you are training for a near marathon the risk of injury associated with the 20 milers isn't there.  Dial back the long run distance but keep the weekly mileage up.

cmb4314

Sorry about Disney.  There is no chance that you can find a cheap hotel and not forfeit the airfare?  That's got to be a huge amount to just forfeit.  Also contact the airline and see whether they can give you a voucher or something.

Sorry, hugs.

My first thought was to look for a cheaper hotel room too - I know that Amy has in the past mentioned that she always stays at the deluxe Disney resorts (not knocking that choice - I usually choose them too Smile), so I was wondering if a cheaper hotel would help.

That said, in my experience it's not that expensive to fly from the greater NYC area down to Disney.  I flew down there from Minnesota a year and a half ago and I had to pay $350 a ticket, and my parents coming from Newark were coming for about $150 a ticket.   The hotel, even a cheaper hotel, along with park tickets and food, would make up the majority of the cost of the trip.  So I can totally see her thought to just eat the airfare cost and cancel the trip.

Anyway, now directed at the OP, I'm sorry that you will likely have to miss your trip and race.  I agree with LTH on what to do - just keep up the endurance, and add in some more HM directed tempo stuff.  I would guess that having a long period of uninjured running, along with your increased endurance, will result in a pretty nice HM for you.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

DH nixed the idea of a value resort. To be honest, I'm actually OK with not going. It was becoming a huge deal for him, and honestly, our happiness at home is more important than a race.

meaghansketch

Sorry that the Disney marathon is not going to work out for you Sad 

FWIW, I really think it would have been a big PR. 

Would you consider the Central Park marathon in February? If so, it might not be a bad idea to take a couple down weeks (just to recharge a bit/ prevent burnout) and then hop onto a short marathon plan (since your base is already quite good, in terms of mileage) and use the Manhattan Half as a tuneup.

If not, I would start adding in a bit of HM-specific work-- maybe alternating between shorter true tempo runs (20 minutes at your 10K pace) and longer HM paced runs (40-60 minutes at HM pace).  I might not hop on to the Ryan Hall half plan, just because I have heard it is quite intense in terms of the speedwork-- probably fine if you started it from the beginning, but jumping on halfway through it might be tough to ramp up to that level of intensity, especially if you are worried about inury. 

I was thinking about the Central Park marathon, but I’m not about to give them $75 until they confirm the date.