Beginners and Beyond

Spitting While Running... (Read 201 times)

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I have never snot rocketed because 1) I fear I will rupture some kind of membrane and 2) I'm fairly certain it would just end up on another part of my face. I'm a sucker-inner.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

notimeforthat

Snot rockets are best left to the bike.

Hipfan

Proud Calgarian

I remember pacing a friend in a 10k and this guy ahead of us turned. and spit.....RIGHT INTO THE FACE OF MY FRIEND!!!  Surprised

Yeah sorry no, I don't spit myself.

2015 Goals and PRs:

5k - 17:59 (18:05);  10k - 35:59 (36:42);   HM - 1:19:19 (1:19:59);   FM - 2:49:59 (3:05:46)

Better I Leave

I remember pacing a friend in a 10k and this guy ahead of us turned. and spit.....RIGHT INTO THE FACE OF MY FRIEND!!!  Surprised

Yeah sorry no, I don't spit myself.

Wow...I have to be honest, I've adopted a lifestyle of acceptance, understanding, and peace...but an act like this would sorely test me. I suppose it would all depend upon if an sincere apology was offered up immediately following.

Hipfan

Proud Calgarian

Nah, the guy made a break off the course as fast as possible to avoid being thumped by my friend and I. Evil

Wow...I have to be honest, I've adopted a lifestyle of acceptance, understanding, and peace...but an act like this would sorely test me. I suppose it would all depend upon if an sincere apology was offered up immediately following.

2015 Goals and PRs:

5k - 17:59 (18:05);  10k - 35:59 (36:42);   HM - 1:19:19 (1:19:59);   FM - 2:49:59 (3:05:46)

Better I Leave

Nah, the guy made a break off the course as fast as possible to avoid being thumped by my friend and I. Evil

Hmm...Interesting. As in anything, I suppose there are insincere/inconsiderate/opinionated individuals even within a "sport" as pure as running. I thought I had left that behind when I left my bodybuilding forums with all their infantile banter, but I am afraid it is inherent in our nature. That being said, had he expressed remorse and offered a sincere apology, I'm sure the ensuing "feelings" and outcome would have been substantially different, yes?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Road runners sure are uptight.  Joking

Road runners do a lot of funny things besides throw tizzy fits due to discomfort with bodies and bodily fluids. Starting and stopping their little watches all the time is also pretty entertaining.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Dad on the run.

I didn't read everyone reply in here but seriously... are some of you really worried about stepping in someones spit? Do you even know what all you step in when you make a trip to a public restroom? The amount of germs that are on the bottom of your shoes, spit isn't going to make any real difference.

Gum and shit of any kind, thats really the only two things that I HATE stepping in.

Now getting spit upon, that would just piss me off.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Love the Half

I don't often spit, but if the need arises in a race, I'll make sure to aim it well forward and off the running surface.  Snot rockets would have to be discrete and during a longer race... 5K's, I'll just use my shirt.

But yeah, I've been spit on, caught splash damage from puke, gotten stuff poured on me at aid stations.  Not a big deal, we're human.

I've never caught splash damage from puke but the rest of the stuff, I agree and it really is no big deal.  Especially when racing, it just goes with the territory.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

flarunner

... but if you are like me and have asthma flare ups and allergies during most times of the year, you will have an increase in mucous production when you exercise. Swallowing all that will make you really quite nauseated and so I spit or snot rocket that stuff out....

This. Oh my goodness; this.