Beginners and Beyond

Report w/Photos: Strides for Sarah 5K (Read 46 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO:  I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT VERSION REPORT  

My 56th race of 2013.  This was the 5th year of the Strides for Sarah 5K -http://www.stridesforsarah.com/ - which supported the Marfan Foundation - http://www.marfan.org/ - and the presenting sponsor was the Gordon Hartman Foundation of San Antonio.  The race started and finished at Los Patios restaurant, a very good eatery in San Antonio -and Los Patios also has shoppes and other things - http://www.lospatios.com/- , and the restaurant also graciously hosted post-race goodies for us - three types of breakfast tacos, juice, iced water - as well as let us have use of the restroom facilities pre-and-post race...nice to have real restrooms instead of port-a-potties!   The weather was threatening rain.  We did not get any rain, but it was VERY humid - around 90 percent humidity and dewpoint in the 70s - and hazy and temp at start time was 78 degrees.  Mother Nature is fickle, darn her!  During the week we had nice morning temps in the 50s and 60s and then Race Day comes and  BAM!, she ups the temp and humidity on us!  There were about 50 - 60 participants this year, runners and walkers, fairly small probably because there were several other races ongoing in San Antonio this day too.  Even so, those of us there enjoyed ourselves and because it was a smaller event, I even managed to get a medal in spite of my slowness.  I finished in 34:59 chip time, which got me 3rd in my age group.

LONG REPORT VERSION WITH PHOTOS

Before the Race

I got to the start/finish area a little before 7 a.m. - race start time of 7:30 a.m. - got my bib, and took some pre-start photos, still a bit dark outside when I began taking them.  Lots of folks were wearing the green tech shirts that were the race shirts each participant got in the goodie bag.  Very nice shirts, nice design and colors!

This is Sarah - for whom the race is named - and her Mom.  Two of the nicest people you'd ever want to meet!

Me and my lovely friend, Bernadette.  She ended up finishing 2nd woman overall.

Bernadette in her race gear

A couple of our registration/packet pickup volunteers

photo marfan010_zps97bd4521.jpg

Other participants, volunteers, supporters

Our DJ and MC, from AthleteGuild, a race company which always does a great job with race course set-up, timing, etc.

Unaccompanied by music, this guy sang the National Anthem for us and did a GREAT job.  Very good voice!  I admit I was jealous of that singing voice....when I sing, dogs howl....Joking

Getting ready to hit the trail...

On The Course

The course was done on paved trails that are part of the trail system our city and county has been developing in our local area.  We now have miles and miles of interconnecting paved hike-and-bike trails.  This part of the system that we did the 5K on is very nice, with lots of shade trees along the way.  Our course was an out-and-back.

Some of the volunteers along the course who cheered everyone on...

When you're as slow as I am, it can get awfully lonely when you're doing the "back to the finish" portion of the course. Joking

After The Race

This guy and I ran the back part of the course in proximity of each other for most of the way.  He surged ahead of me near the finish and I chased him on in.

More "Happy Finishers" and supporters in the finish area

Then we went into the Patio area of Los Patios restaurant where the awards ceremony was held and also we enjoyed those breakfast tacos - choice of potato-and-egg, sausage-and-egg, or bean-and-cheese - along with ice cold orange juice (really hit the spot!) and ice water, coffee, tea, courtesy of Los Patios staff.  A really relaxing area to be in post-race for goodies and awards.

This lady was first woman overall

This guy and his angel both got awards. You can tell she's his angel, her "halo" is really glowing!

EPILOG

Very enjoyable event.  I have not done the event for each of the 5 years it has been held but some people have completed all 5 and they were recognized for that.  Nice location for the event this year, nice post-race goodies, nice relaxing post-race atmosphere.  Much thanks to Gordon Hartman Foundation, Los Patios Restaurant, and all the hard work the volunteers, organizers, etc. did to put this on.  Sarah and her family are really nice people and I wish them all the best in the future!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Congratulations on your age group award, and running your 56th race this year.  BTW, those are very cool Strides for Sarah shirt. Kudos to the designer.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

good stuff as always, Scotty.

Zelanie

Wow, looks like a great staging area for pre- and post-race.  Very nice!

Antipodean

You're a running machine! And an RR writing one, too! I appreciate the time and energy it takes to race and write RRs weekend after weekend. May you keep doing this for a long time to come, Scotty!

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

hog4life

Happy 56th race! You are amazing Cool

PADRunner

You always get the good food!. I had cold pancakes at the Pumpkin run!

happylily

Well done, Scotty! Congratulations on your 56th! That is A LOT of races!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Another AG award!  Awesome job.  That looks like a really fun event.  I think the woman who won the women's overall knew what she was doing when she put all of her tattoos on her back.  It seems like that's the side of her that people see the most.  She just LOOKS fast!  I'm not saying you don't look fast, she just looks a tad bit faster.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Nice job on your race and report - seems like most of your races have rally nice amenities. You look awesome sporting you AG medal!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

GinnyinPA

Looks like a nice place to run and a fun event overall.  The runners don't look nearly as melted out as usual.  I think the shade and clouds helped everyone run faster.