Beginners and Beyond

Running Without A Watch (Read 116 times)

LRB

So I realized I left without the stupid thing this morning while still driving on my street.  I was already behind though so instead of going back, I just said screw it and kept going.

It was an easy run so it really was not a deal breaker, but I do like to know my splits because I sometimes get lost in a run and they go all over the place.  As it were, I just took my total time running and divided it by the miles and called it a day.

I could see myself doing that again though, and even breaking into a series of strides at the end.  No, I would not have the info post-run to over analyze the run, but that would not be the end of the world.

So what are your thoughts on running sans a time piece?  How often, if you ever do, run without it?

Hip Redux

I almost never run a training run without a watch BUT I have done a few races san electronics.   It helped me concentrate on race pace "feel", vs trying to look down at a watch etc.

Garmin only on long runs, or runs where I don't have a preplanned route.

Watch pretty much every training run.

No watch for races.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
        We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
        Just B.S.

I ran for 10 years before wearing a watch or GPS of any kind.  Looking back I'm glad I did because

I am excellent at pacing by feel.

I wear it on almost all runs when training for a marathon simply because I want to track my miles.

When not training for a full I try to leave it at home at least once a week.

happylily

It's happened, mostly on vacation though. I don't panic when it happens, but I don't particularly enjoy it. I need to have some sort of number atached to my runs, even the ones I do that have no training purposes. So if I have no watch, I'll try to find out exactly how far I ran, so that I can guestimate a time for my run. It's running, man... It's serious business! Big grin

I leave my watch and my OCD when I go for a walk on the beach (no, not true. I measure that as well. Big grin).

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

I ran for the first year and a half without a time piece. It did help me learn different paces just by feel. I don't run with a time piece on the TM, but I do wear a Timex (non GPS) when running outside. On known routes it allows me figure out my splits. On unknown routes I can kind of guess where the mile splits are.

- Andrew

Dreamn

I run probably 3 times a week without a watch.  I'm usually on a marked trail or have ran a certain course so often that I know the distance markers and time is of no importance on these runs.  I prefer watch-free runs and I find that I usually end up running a similar pace as when I wear a watch.

Rungry!

It's happened, mostly on vacation though. I don't panic when it happens, but I don't particularly enjoy it. I need to have some sort of number atached to my runs, even the ones I do that have no training purposes. So if I have no watch, I'll try to find out exactly how far I ran, so that I can guestimate a time for my run. It's running, man... It's serious business! Big grin

I leave my watch and my OCD when I go for a walk on the beach (no, not true. I measure that as well. Big grin).

Ditto - I'll run without my watch, but usually because I forgot it, not my choice.

Jen

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I'd have to say if I did forget it then I would still run. But if I can help it, I take it with me.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

YAYpril - B-Plus

I won't NOT run because I don't have my watch, but I don't particularly enjoy it. A couple of times I've packed a gym bag to go on my lunch break and it's unexpectedly nice out so I'll decide to run instead. I'll just bring my phone and use a stopwatch app to track my time - I know how far I'm running on certain routes, so distance isn't a problem. I'm a data nerd though and I like seeing my splits.

Some days when I truly want to run by feel, I'll still wear my watch but change the display to show only time of day.

Zentastic

Chasing Rainbows

I usually run with my Garmin.  Some days I check it obsessively, and some days I hardly look at it and just run based on feel.  Regardless of how much I check it during my run, I like that it allows me to run anywhere and record my distance without having to stick to pre-measured routes.

The obstacle is the path. - Zen proverb

I forgot my Garmin once, but luckily I had my phone with me with the Garmin Fit program so was still able to get my numbers.  It probably wasn't as good as my 310/910, but at least I had data.  Smile

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

There's been a couple of times where my Garmin would turn off a second after me turning it on...this was because I THOUGHT the battery was fully charged, but it wasn't.  And one of the times when this happened, I was at a trail kind of far from home, so I quick downloaded the MapMyRun app onto my phone, and used that instead.  Didn't have an armband either, so I just ran with the phone in my hand.  Wasn't ideal, but at least I had splits and data to review later.

LRB

For those who race without a watch, that would scare the shit outta me.  Only because I would be afraid of leaving crumbs on the table so to speak.  On the other hand, one could run faster than they ever have during an event and do so comfortably, yet look down and see a pace that they are not accustomed to and scare themselves into slowing down so I see the logic there.

HL, your explanation of needing a number to attach to runs is a good way to put it.

Dream, from my experience ladies are more consistent at maintaining even pacing than guys so you are probably right.

Just B.S.

Dream, from my experience ladies are more consistent at maintaining even pacing than guys so you are probably right.

Before I started wearing a Garmin I would sometimes run with hubby (who did wear one) and I

would constantly be guessing my pace. It always drove him crazy because he would say I didn't

know but I was usually within 5-10 seconds.Smile