Beginners and Beyond

It's Sunday, any Penguins racing? (Read 32 times)

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!) ShyShyShy

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Morning everyone! Best of luck to anyone racing.

12 trail miles for me yesterday.  I am paying for it today.  Achilles rather tender.  However, the heat moved past us - it was 20 degrees cooler when I ran yesterday than the three days before.  This morning, it is nearly 45 deg cooler than it was mid day a few days ago.  LOL   SRD for me today.

Anyone else ever have repeated back/neck stiffness after running and what did you do?

Bin Running

Vance, sorry abt the neck/back. Can't help much. Maybe a massage would help?

13.1M today. Not by design. Just pure coincidence. Left calf is a little tight. Iced after breakfast.  Gonna try calf sleeve for sleep.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning Vance and Bin.  Rest those sore backs and legs.  Just finished morning stretches and icing.  Going for a walk/run later this morning.  Dr. appointment is tomorrow.  See what he says about  the hip. I'll guess he'll say start running gradually and see what happens.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  There are no races down here.  Too dangerous!

14 miles with 4 @ MP done.  The temps were horrible and the dewpoint more so.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

tracilynn

Good morning Vance, Jerry and Bin.

I got up early and did an easy 3. Now I'm enjoying my COFFEEE. Grandma is gonna watch the kids and me and hubs are going on a 3.5 hr kayak down the Flint River this morning.

have a great Sunday everyone

~~~~~~~

Traci

tracilynn

Vance, sorry abt the neck/back. Can't help much. Maybe a massage would help?

13.1M today. Not by design. Just pure coincidence. Left calf is a little tight. Iced after breakfast.  Gonna try calf sleeve for sleep.

~~~~~~~

Traci

Bin Running

Jerry, hope you get good news from Doc.

Damaris, 14 w/ 4 @ MP.. Man, I hate this workout.. Good job getting it done.

Traci, sound like a fun day.. 3.5hrs on the kayak? How do you take care of #1 & #2 while on it so long? Tongue

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Docket_Rocket

Worse when it's the last 4 @ MP.  By then, you're completely drained.  I was leaving sweat bread crumbs on the street since Mile 1.  You understand that since your weather is as horrid or more.

Jerry, hope you get good news from Doc.

Damaris, 14 w/ 4 @ MP.. Man, I hate this workout.. Good job getting it done.

Traci, sound like a fun day.. 3.5hrs on the kayak? How do you take care of #1 & #2 while on it so long? Tongue

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Rocked my 10 mile run! 3 with the dog, 4 with a woman I met at a race who lives by my boyfriend, 3 alone. Now relaxing at the pool while my bf golfs.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Sloooow.

Morning, all Smile

Vance, nice work on the 12 miles. Jealous of your cooler weather too. I had some problems with shoulder/neck stiffness, but it was me tensing up too much while running. I made sure to keep my shoulders nice and loose and the stiffness went away. Hope you figure it out!

Bin, awesome accidental half! Lol. Funny where the numbers fall sometimes.

Jerry, hope the run/walk goes well. Fingers crossed for good news at the doctors, too.

Docket, 14 miles, geeez! I don't know how you manage to run so far in your horrid weather without shriveling up like a prune.

Traci, have a wonderful time kayaking!

Kristin, congratulations on the 10 mile run!!

URD # 47384738 for me. I have a good attitude though. I want running to become a constant in my life, so some low weeks aren't going to hurt. Kids sickness has turned into coughs, partner has started with fever and throwing up, plus a cold. I have a very sore chest with wheezing, and this morning my nose started running (annoying when I can't!). I've been vertigo free since last night, but I'm not running when my chest burns when I cough.

I posted in dailies very late last night, I got a third pair of my shoes on liquidation at runningwarehouse Smile After paying about $150 each at LRS for the first two, it was very nice to get a pair for $76!

Zelanie

Morning, penguins!  I believe that J Drumm raced a HM today, hope he checks in here. Smile

I ran an easy 4.25 this morning, now am relaxing with some breakfast.  I think I've figured out what to eat before a morning run, too.  A cup of dry cereal and two glasses of water.  Coffee needs to be afterwards, so I feel super tired, but that's fine after I warm up.  I haven't been a morning runner before, really, so I'm just figuring this out.

Vance- I would also say check your shoulders as you run.  Even a little bit of tension there can lead to stiffness when you consider you're tensing up for an hour or more as you run.  Crazy temperature fluctuations you guys have!

Bin- Nice HM!  Hope the calf sleeve does the trick!

Jerry- Good luck with the walk/run and Dr. appointment!  Tell them you're a serious HMer and need some answers, stat!

D- Way to finish up with those MP miles!

Traci- I hope you have a great time on the kayak!

kristin- Way to go on the 10 miler!

Coralie- You do have a super positive attitude!  I'm wondering if the vertigo you were feeling was really just the start of this cold/whatever that everyone has, and maybe it will also clear up when you feel better?

Sloooow.

Zelanie, it could be! Especially if it caused some fluid build up in my bad ear. My hearing has been a little better in that ear the last week, which would make sense if it it full of fluid, lol.

Nice 4.25 Smile How is your knee feeling lately?

Zelanie

I was just thinking that if your ears are your weak area, of course whatever nasties come around are going to settle there first for you.

My knee feels fine.  I haven't even taped it for 3 runs in a row.  I think I will tape tomorrow, just to be safe.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Well, I just finished up my lower mileage week.  I survived, and looking at the stats was surprised to see that it was the fastest average pace for a week that I've ever run.  That wasn't intentional, although there was some interval and tempo work.  The easy miles felt super easy, and were at a very good pace as well.  Next week, I'm back to 90% of peak for the program.  I'm looking forward to getting out there more often again, and my 16 mile run on Saturday.  YAY!!!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013