Beginners and Beyond

Kimetto wins the Berlin Marathon - sets new world record (Read 66 times)

LRB

This blurb from Runners Space put Shalane's race and season in perspective:

In 2014, Shalane Flanagan has dropped over four minutes from her personal best coming into the year. She’s led the Boston Marathon for over 17 miles, setting the pace for what would become the fastest Boston Marathon in history. Her 2:22:02 in Boston was the fastest ever by an American.

On Sunday in Berlin, Flanagan laid it on the line again. In the weeks leading up to the BMW Berlin Marathon, Flanagan stated time and again that her sole goal was to go after Deena Kastor’s 2:19:36 American record. She brought in two professional marathon men to pace her, did her workouts at sub-2:20 pace and readied herself mentally for the challenge that lie ahead.

In the early hours Sunday morning in the United States, fans stayed up well past their bedtime to catch Flanagan attack a record with purpose. It’s a rare day an athlete comes out so openly, repeating their desire to smash a record. Flanagan did that and for a while it looked as though the Portland-based Olympic medalist would give it a serious run.

Then the final stages of Sunday’s race hit, and as Flanagan slowed, she simply couldn’t hang on pace, losing the lead and losing the record. She finished in 2:21:14, a new personal best by nearly a minute, the second fastest time ever run by an American and inched closer to Kastor’s American record. She passed the legendary Joan Benoit Samuelson best of 2:21:21 and Kastor’s 2:21:25 Chicago Marathon victory performance.

It took Kastor three years to jump from her then 2:21:16 best to her London Marathon winning mark of 2:19:36. Three years. Flanagan has enjoyed a special level of success throughout her career. Countless U.S. titles, an Olympic medal and so much more. She’s been the most dominant U.S. athlete in her chosen event, on the track and on the roads) for years. Flanagan’s reign shows no signs of slowing, and if it takes three years before we see her break the American record, then so be it, we’ll all wait for that magical moment.

Flanagan’s 2014 season is the best year for an American marathoner ever. Sure, she didn’t win a marathon major, but she entertained, ran personal bests, showed why no one can take her lightly and gives Americans hope in an event that’s only becoming faster and more competitive.

Flanagan laid it on the line Sunday. She talked up her hopes and dreams and put it out there for the world to watch. She didn’t accomplish her objective, but American distance running fans should be proud of her and give her a standing ovation for laying it on the line and entertaining the world for two hours, twenty-one minutes and fourteen seconds.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

The PR is great.  I am very glad she PR'd and made the podium.  Nothing to be ashamed of and she should be very happy!!!

My only regret for her is that on this day the conditions were P-E-R-F-E-C-T!!!  Can she do better??  I'm sure she can.  Ryan Hall's 2:04:58 comes to mind in Boston.  A point to point w/ potential tail wind could do the trick too.  But the conditions today were just prime for a record and I have a feeling by her demeanor immediately after the race, she was really expecting it to happen & probably visualized it a thousand times in her head.

Still......I don't mind the incremental moves ahead.  She is running some epic times and certainly progressing on a nice, steady upward line!!

Whether she'll hit 2:19 or not, I don't know but she & Meb are the most exciting things to happen to American marathoning in the last decade!

Randy

B-Plus

Docket_Rocket

That is interesting.  I think she is getting better and better, but maybe she should not announce her goals publicly because every time she does, she fails.  Still, damn, that is a great PR coming from a PR at Boston.  She will break the record soon, I think.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

RSX

I like that she announced her goals publicly as she did about Boston. She had a pr there but was in tears after because she didn't win. I would rather that than sand bagging.

B-Plus

Here's a blog post from one of her pacers describing the experience:

http://leblogdurob.com/blog-115-tales-of-rabbithood/

memememe76

I always enjoy Rob's blog. I didn't even consider that other runners would use them as pacers--hee! Interestingly, no mention of Kimetto--although I would've loved to overhear their discussion of a sub-2 hour marathon!