Beginners and Beyond

Are you afraid to share your race goals? (Read 106 times)

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I don't mind sharing my goals because it holds me accountable during my training.

delicate flower

I like to share my goals because it gives me one more thing in which to talk about myself.

<3

LRB

I like to share my goals because it gives me one more thing in which to talk about myself.

lol

GinnyinPA

I don't think people are judging you when you don't reach your stated goals, or at least, I cannot imagine why they would.  Perhaps yes, if you go to a race completely untrained and expect the running gods to somehow give you winged feet, but for those of you who go into a race well trained, no.  You are out there putting yourself on the line, doing your best.  Some days, that isn't enough.  Some days the weather is difficult, your lack of sleep catches up to you, your mental demons slow you down, your legs cramp, last night's dinner sends you to the nearest POP or the dust sets off your asthma.  But at least you are out there trying.  I am in awe of those go out and race often, despite the risk of injury, the cost in terms of time, energy and effort, as well as cash.  Most of you aren't going to win big prizes, but you spend years preparing yourself to go out and do your best, over and over.  Racing can be fun, but if you do it right, it is also really hard.  What is there to condemn if someone's best wasn't as good as they hoped?  You're doing it, not sitting on the couch.

Cyberic

I know people here will be pretty supportive & understanding no matter what happens, and no one else I know IRL cares.

^^This

Most people have no idea if a 2:30 marathon is fast or not

None of the runners I know are as serious about running as I am. To them, if I race a 1:40 half or a 1:30 half, they'll still find me very fast. That range is huge to me. 1 minute in that range is a world of a difference to me but is nothing to a 2:30 marathoner.

So speaking about my objectives is pointless, as they are MY objectives and are huge to ME only. Everyone else doesn't give a damn.

But I don't feel jinxed saying them. The only danger is that my pride will be hurt if I don't reach them. I usually am much harder on myself than the others are to me.

No.  You guys are my running peers, and I'm 100% OK sharing my goals with you.  Sometimes the goals are met.  Sometimes they aren't.

I like to hear how you're doing, your victories and defeats, the good days and the not-so-good days.  It doesn't even have to be about running. This is one of the places where I don't have to be guarded or act a certain way for a certain audience, and there are too few of those places.

Mmmmm...beer

I don't mind sharing, because the goal is already in my head, so the pressure is already there, doesn't matter to me who else knows.  Although, I do try to keep my goals within reason, so that probably helps.  Plus, I have no problem adjusting goals depending on the circumstances.  My original goal for my first marathon was sub-3, but my training cycle went to hell, so I dropped it to BQing.  So now, with a much stronger training cycle (and some weight loss), I'd like to go for sub-3 at my next marathon.  But if my 10k next month tells me that I'm not ready for it, then I'll go for whatever my fitness will allow.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

I'm 100% OK sharing my goals with you. .

Just a bit slow sharing the results sometimes....

Dave

LRB

What is there to condemn if someone's best wasn't as good as they hoped? 

Nothing, and to that end the pressure/expectations from my peers (if there was/were any) pales in comparison to the pressure/expectations I put on or have for myself.

Nice post.

memememe76

I have no problem sharing my goals online. And not one person in my real life could ever grasp the idea that I would have time goals.

My time goals tend to be pretty realistic. My HM this past weekend, my "A" Goal was sub-1:35 and my "B" Goal was anything under 1:37:26. I ended up with a time of 1:36:18. I can't imagine anyone harassing me over this.

Brilliant

I'm not afraid to share... but more embarrassed to admit, in this august company, that I'd like to break 2:20 in a half...

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

I'm not afraid to share... but more embarrassed to admit, in this august company, that I'd like to break 2:20 in a half...

Don't be embarrassed!   There are speeds of every kind.  Think about the very fact that you can RUN a half!!!   That, in itself is amazing!!

I shared my goal of a 49 minute 10K last year (which I proudly broke at 48:56) and while I totally loved it for MYSELF, I know there are LOTS faster people out there.  I knew what was tough for *ME* and that was definitely it.

I think if the goal's realistic, it's good to share.  Some may already have 100% of the pressure on themselves, but aside from accountability, I found that some sound advice along the way also helped!!  Win/win, imho!

(shrug)

Randy

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I only have very mild race goals these days....finish before sunset...and finish standing up! 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Brilliant

Thanks for the encouraging words, Randy.

OK then, I'm sharing my goal:  Hit 2:20 in a February half.  (Current PR is 2:25:44 from a year ago).

Love the Half

I like putting mine out there because it's a reality check.  On the one hand, I have run faster than I thought I could because folks said, "you know what, I think you're selling yourself short" and I took them at their word and went for it.  On the other, I have had folks say, "yeah, I don't think that's realistic" - like when I thought I would only be out for a couple of weeks with a stress fracture.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).