Beginners and Beyond

Is always running with a slower partner hurting my training? (Read 104 times)

Robert31320

Team TJ

I've written one of those text messages before.  They are only uncomfortable for a few minutes.

+ 1

Finding time to run is hard enough, who needs the headache of trying to sneek and do it.

Based on what you have written there is no good way to tell her so I would simply start running with her at my pace and make her hate running like we all do when we run too fast!

After about a week or so of searing lungs you will get a long text or email from her basically saying it just ain't working out.  lol

Running for TJ because he can't.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Whew !!! When I saw the thread title, I thought it was from my wife.

Docket_Rocket

Maybe she asked Kristin for her user name and password so you get the hint?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

lol

Little Blue

I can't offer anything on the question of training, but I'm familiar with the slower partner.  For many years (12?)  I've been walking with a good friend.  He doesn't run, never will.  And his pace is getting slower (he's almost 71 now.)  What I do these days, I do a few miles with him, then a few miles on my own.  We meet at a park with a 2-mile loop.  I walk one or two loops with him, then either do a couple of loops on my own or go out on the road.  He continues at his pace, and we meet up at the end for stretches and water.

It works for both of us.  He doesn't have to do all of his miles alone, and I get to do my runs.  I do my LR on Sunday, and usually don't see him.  I'd go batty doing a long run on a 2-mile loop.

One thing you could try is meeting up with her and chatting while warming up and cooling down at the same pace, but doing your repeats/tempo stuff at your own speed.  This format works pretty well for one of the running groups I'm in.

I'd still tell her that you like to do some runs alone, and that it's about you, not her.

Not quite right

kristen,

imo, always running with a slower partner will hurt your speed. As you will never actually be able to push yourself.

However, mostly running with a slow partner will actually likely help you.  With the exceptions being LRs and speedwork. Too slow and you cant get the distance done in an appropriate time frame in your LR and no speedwork will definitely hurt your training. (in the case that you are intending to get faster)

and she seems really needy.  Got any trails around you? Me and my wife run a lot together to the point I have to watch my own speed because of running slow with her. Trails is where we make it up I run sections at my pace then break for her to catch. I consider them like a easy fartlek. I think you biggest issue is she is messing with your running. Me and my wife had the talk and I lined out she can't tag into my training them mess it up. She understood. Also don't forget the track that is another place to buddy up but keep it to your pace

sheepla

Okay so I have a running partner and I'm the slower runner.  We run together two days a week (which is essentially a tempo run for me as I speed up from my regular run when I'm with her) then she runs with other groups other days and I run on my own other days. It works out great for both us.  I think she enjoys it for additional mileage and endurance.

Of course, I'm not needy which is what makes your situation challenging.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I feel like I made her out to be a crazy, clingy monster. That is definitely not true.... I didn't intend to make her sound like that at all. She is one of my best friends. She has been my friend, neighbor and co-worker for 4 years. She just really enjoys our runs together, as do I. I just don't want to hurt the friendship or my training. Friendship is more important than running, I just don't want my training to suffer by running with her. Does she really seem that needy?  I am not married and don't have kids, and live alone so I am maybe just not used to having to "report to" someone when I want to do something so maybe it is just a little different for me to feel like I need to check in with someone before I run. I didn't think she was being needy just that I was being selfish in that I am used to be super independent.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

GinnyinPA

Kristin, you may be right that she isn't as controlling as she sounds here.  One way to find out is to be honest with her and tell her you're willing to run slowly with her x times a week, but you need to run alone y times a week -- then see how she responds.  If she pouts, call her on it.  If she's as good a friend as you think, she'll back off.  She may not even understand that she's holding you back.  Tell her you enjoy your time together, but you need to work on your own training too.

Love the Half

I think Ginny probably nailed it.  My guess is that she doesn't get that she might be holding you back although I don't think I'd phrase it that way around her.  Again, just with Ginny's suggestion, let her know that you need to run your pace a few times every week.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

redrobrun

if your following a program, then yea. If your just running and that's what your training is, then not so much. What is the distance? If it's short maybe do progression run. Start off together then take off ( I'd let her know before you just Do it)

lucky to have someone that wants to and can run with you.

hope it all works out for ya.

Brilliant

Have you had "the talk" yet?  I hope it goes well for both of you.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

We haven't talked about it....I've been away for the past week and a half. She was chatting to me about how excited she is though that we are doing a half together and how she can start doing her long runs with me soon too though....oh boy lol.... She just started a new job today though so our schedules are going to be a bit different now and that may take care of most of it.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to