Beginners and Beyond

It's Monday Penguins, Wake up! (Read 22 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!).

"In running, it doesn't matter whether you come in first, in the middle of the pack, or last. You can say, 'I have finished.' There is a lot of satisfaction in that."

-Fred Lebow, New York City Marathon co-founder

PADRunner

Running RD for me Gym tonight.

BradyS71

Fast Penquin

W1 D1 Couch to 5K, in the books, running didn't used to be that hard.

Tick: I'm sure millions of viewers out there are just wondering what it's like to wear the tights of justice. Well, it's tingly and it's uncomfortable, but it gets the job done and, oh, the job of it.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Very slow run/walk at Lackland Air Force Base on Saturday morning.  Near the finish I turned a corner to head back to the gym and encountered some trainees doing a practice parade on the drill field.  I moved over to the far right to stay out of their way and kept on going to get to my path that would take me back to the gym.  The training instructors had a good sense of humor about it, calling out to me stuff like "Hey, you, run in step!" and "You're in a parade...run at attention!"   lol.

Sunday, I did my 45th race of 2014.   Report and photos at this link:   http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/18a75ce0cbb64969b8fc886535bfb414/resume#focus

Today is a non-run day.  Gail and I are planning to do weights after work.  We'll see how that works out, Monday is usually a busy work day for both of us, so see how we feel after we both get home.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning, PAD, Brady, Scotty and late risers.

Gym also for me after work (lunch).  Looks like it's Monday Penguin gym day

Good luck Brady !!!!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I had been at the office for an hour by the time you ordered us to wake up, PAD!

I have 6 miles and a PiYo workout tonight.  The 6 will most likely be on the TM as we will be hitting heat indexes in the 100s again, according to the forecast.  Oh, August, I never missed you, why did you come back?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Morning!  This week, everything is getting moved back a bit so that I can fit as much running as I can into the days that I will be able to run.  So today is 11 miles total with 6 x 1 mile at 9 seconds faster than marathon pace, and 0.25 mile recoveries.  It's the first "strength" workout in the program- the workouts from here on out get longer and slower, with the goal of building endurance.  I am looking forward to seeing how it goes.  I have to run it in the evening because I am meeting somebody early today to go up to Zarcero.  Hopefully changing the time around goes OK, but at least tonight my gym is open until 10 PM!

PAD- Enjoy the gym!

Brady- C25K is hard.  A few of those runs are harder than anything that I've done since.  But it works!

Scotty, D- Hiya!

Jerry- Enjoy the gym!  And thanks for the nice comment yesterday, though I think it takes more than 0.2 to make a hero!  It was more like I was annoyed that I had already run 0.5 extra "for nothing" and wanted those two extra laps to count!

BradyS71

Fast Penquin

Zel, yes its hard, just using it to recover from ITB pain.  Taking it slow Sad

Tick: I'm sure millions of viewers out there are just wondering what it's like to wear the tights of justice. Well, it's tingly and it's uncomfortable, but it gets the job done and, oh, the job of it.

Bin Running

Bradys, welcome back!

Mel, you are so dedicated. You are going to do so well on your debut.

4 easy miles after yday workout leaving me a bit sore. LR with some at HM always get to me.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

tracilynn

Welcome back Brady! I battled ITB a good bit too. I did lots of clamshells to strengthen hips and it finally ended up working out for me. Good luck. It's hard starting over.

hey y'all,  I've been a real slacker the past week or so. I did get up and run a short 2.5m this morning. Trying to get back in the groove.  BLAH

~~~~~~~

Traci

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

First day of school was today so late check in for me. No running today but I did my core work this morning. I think the extra rest I am taking is helping (fingers crossed). Last night's run was the first time in many weeks that my legs felt somewhat fresh. I hope I'm on the right track.

Docket_Rocket

Hi, guys.  Hi, Brady!

6 miles on the TM done and the PiYo.  I was so sore when I started but now I am not.  I love a good easy run the day after a LR.

In sad news, Robin Williams is dead, believed to be a suicide.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Bin Running

RIP, Robbin Williams..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar