Beginners and Beyond

Running over the Golden Gate Bridge (Read 88 times)

You Rang?

This morning, my long run was over the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco.  I'm in the city at a professional conference and thought this would be fun.

I was on the first cable car to Fort Mason/Ghirardelli Square at 6:30 am.  I then ran west along the marina and Crissy Field to the base of the bridge.  Then I ran up the bike path (brutal hill...yeah the bikers hated me and I don't care) to the base of the bridge, over the bridge, turned around and ran back.

The total run was 10.2 miles.  My performance was nothing to write home about.  Too much sitting on my backside in the professional conference, too many late nights, too much good food, and too much good beer really takes its toll.

The views of the bridge and Alcatraz Island running towards are fantastic.  The pedestrian path on the bridge is on the west side and is about ten feet wide.  Curiously enough, the guard rail separating the foot path from the road bed is higher than the guard rail between the pedestrian path and San Francisco Bay and certain death.

This was a fun run, and I recommend giving it a try should you find yourself in the City by the Bay.

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

Docket_Rocket

Awesome.  And yes, that path's hill was the one I showed at Mile 5 that looks like a mountain.  Glad you enjoyed it!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Walk-Jogger

Nice! Some runs are all about the location, not the running performance. I hope to have a chance to do that run one day.

Retired &  Loving It

MrNamtor

You're a lucky man Lurch. San Fran is top of my list. What a great place to run!

outoftheblue

What a great run and it looks like you picked a great day for it!   Sometimes it is so foggy you don't even know there is a bridge there.   Running across the GG Bridge during my marathon a couple of weeks ago was a true racing highlight for me.    Being a California girl, I know I'm biased, but think that the Golden Gate bridge on a clear day is just about one of the prettiest man-made sights there it.   Whoever decided to paint it red was a genius.

Life is good.

Very cool.  What no pictures?  Smile

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

You Rang?

Very cool.  What no pictures?  Smile

Oh, ok.. since you asked (and I now have time to upload them to photo bucket).

map

Map of the run

Elevation Chart

Elevation chart

Alcatraz

Alcatraz

GG Bridge

Golden Gate Bridge from Ft. Mason.

I didn't pull out my phone while on the run, so no pictures actually running on the bridge.

Also a little advice, if you are going to do this, do it early in the morning.  The bridge is mobbed with tourists in the late morning or early afternoon.  The cable cars are also mobbed with tourists in the morning and I kinda felt for the Chinese family that was squeezed next to me on the cable car ride back to the hotel from the end of the run.  I didn't smell so good.

Rick 

Docket_Rocket

I think that's the same spot where I took my Golden Gate video during the race.  By the fort.

Great pics.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Thanks for posting the photos. Since I will never run the bridge since I'm deathly afraid of heights, I'm curious whether it's windy while running on the bridge?

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

You Rang?

Thanks for posting the photos. Since I will never run the bridge since I'm deathly afraid of heights, I'm curious whether it's windy while running on the bridge?

It wasn't windy until I got to the Marin County side or north side of the bridge.  Since that was the turn around point, It wasn't that bad.  I too used to have anxiety about driving over bridges, but for some reason, this wasn't that big of a deal.

Rick 

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Nice run Rick, glad to see your still at the mileage, hope that all is well with you and your family.