Beginners and Beyond

Shit just got real :) (Read 244 times)

sirdizzy

Sorry haven't been around much my ironman training and allergies have really sucked a lot of me the last 2 months or so.

But logged onto STG ironman 70.3 page this morning and I have a bib number 1472, shit just got real Smile  I am also swim wave #12 start time of 7:33am light blue cap.  Really excited and kind of freaked out at the same time.  Bought a new triathlon TT bike for the race last Friday (I got a Quintanaroo Kilo and I love it glad I got it a month early instead of the week early like I had planned because the fit lady at the bike shop was right man did it make me sore, took it for 34 miles on Sunday and 17 yesterday and totally feeling it)

31 days and man do I need a taper.  Anyone got any experience with iM and HiM tapers?  Would you look at a 3 week or just a 2 week taper.  Last big training weeks will be likely the next two weeks, got a Sprint triathon on Saturday for a race tune up on my new bike and then going to run 7 miles afterwords.  Then doing a 45mile ride/11 mile brick on Sunday (riding and running course minus the detours, I guess you detour through a lot of golf courses to pick up the extra mileage, I have ridden most of the course but just in segments not all at once and I ran the course a couple of weeks ago).  I heard the tri club might be riding course next week too so thought about riding it again.  After that I am open so I could do a 3 week taper after or do another week of training and then taper.  I was a little down on mileage in March because of my allergies wanted to hit 400 but only hit like 340 skipped some workouts on the worst days.

sirdizzy

oh and pics as I was working on it on Saturday (putting my cages on, my saddle bags, frame pump).  I am thinking of getting a custom paint job though there is a awesome pro local that paints bikes and thought it might be cool.

yeoldefatguy

You just got a TT bike a month out from a half ironman? You better spend plenty of time in the saddle to adjust to that position and even then I be you have some back and hip issues from it. Also instead of getting a paint job, spend the money on some clipless pedals. Otherwise good luck.

sirdizzy

Ohhh I am going clipless for sure, just not sure if I want to do it before or after HiM, already a big learning curve going from road to TT and not sure if I want to throw in another wrench with it being just a month out.  They fitted me without the clips and said when I get them I can come back and get fitted with them.  It probably wouldn't be until next week or the week after until I got the clips (got the bike last week and need to pay for the new saddle this week and want to get some new gear like tri shorts for the race) so not sure I want to do the race with only 2 weeks on the clips, my cages will work for now.

cmb4314

Ohhh I am going clipless for sure, just not sure if I want to do it before or after HiM, already a big learning curve going from road to TT and not sure if I want to throw in another wrench with it being just a month out.  They fitted me without the clips and said when I get them I can come back and get fitted with them.  It probably wouldn't be until next week or the week after until I got the clips (got the bike last week and need to pay for the new saddle this week and want to get some new gear like tri shorts for the race) so not sure I want to do the race with only 2 weeks on the clips, my cages will work for now.

Yeah, with only a couple of weeks it might not be the best to switch to clipless now.   When I watched my husband's last triathlon, there were SO many near disasters at the start of the bike leg from inexperienced people trying to clip into their bike and swerving all over in the process.  One of them actually crossed over the line delineating the out and in lanes, and caused an elite who was finishing his bike leg to go over his handlebars trying to avoid crashing into the oblivious, swerving dude trying to get into his pedals.

I might not be the best one to comment though, because my clipless pedals scare the bejeezus out of me.  I *know* that all the bike guys will tell you they're actually safer because they'll release your feet better than toe cages will if you go over your handlebars.  But I really don't want to find myself unable to clip out, and tipping over sideways.  I've done that once, and it hurts :P

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Cross posted from the Trail group.

Ultra Runner versus Ironman

You people have issues 

Dad on the run.

Love all the toys everywhere. Looks like my house except mine is babies and barbie dolls. Sweet bike though.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Little Blue

Dizzy, I know nothing about tri's, but I just have to say that your excitement is infectious!  I hope all your new gear works out well and that you have a great event. Big grin

Buelligan

That's a nice bike.  You ever take it off any sweet jumps?

sirdizzy

No jumps yet Buelligan only had it since Friday, although almost hit an idiot this morning (I am riding down the bike path on the right side and for some reason the idiot decided to step right in front of me because he wasn't paying attention and was too busy talking, also saw some idiot going the wrong way on a bike talking on a cellphone, another idiot walking his dog while on a bike.  I think I will avoid the bike path and stick to the roads way too many idiots on that thing).

Man does that bike make me fast (engine was always good now putting it in a sports car instead of VW bus), I averaged better than 3MPH on it this morning (thats a lot to gain, I am gaining probably 10 miles on the ironman if not more, I want to finish the bike in 3 1/2 hours) and I was cramping too.  We ran 7 miles on ironman course and then I hopped on the bike for a 10.5 mile ride (I should have grabbed some Gatorade I get a little electrolyte imbalance if I don't take any) and I cramped a little on the bike.  I had my single best average EVER and I was cramping too boot blew me away.

jblack I had to clean the living room to even work normally the living room is scattered from one end to the next with toys, its like an obstacle course that needs to be cleaned up nightly.

Fsocks I watched that video and laughed, was interested by the comment that nearly %100 of ironman competitors finish I am sure its not that high.  But I think with ironman events you don't get many people who come in unprepared and just try and wing it, its a serious commitment to train for one even for than a marathon.  Heck I am at 1000 miles for the year (run,bike and swim) and I am only training for a half.

That movie just refuses to die.

That's a nice bike.  You ever take it off any sweet jumps?

They'll tell you that failure is not an option.  That's ridiculous.  Failure is always an option.  It is the easiest and most readily available option.  It's your choice though.

Anonymous Guest

I'd spend money on a good saddle before I even thought about a paint job. When I got my TT bike, my bike fitter had me try several different saddles - makes a huge difference. And I'm a girl. According to my spouse (who races these things) the correct saddle is extremely important to a man and his boys. And since everyone is different, I don't think they put a lot of money into the stock saddle, knowing most people will switch it out with something better.

The Quintana Roo Kilo is a good entry-level bike, but as my LBS guy/fitter says, to make it price competitive they have to go cheap somewhere. For my bike (the Quintana Roo Dulce) it was the saddle and the aero bars. Those two upgrades made a world of difference in comfort, rideability, speed, everything.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Buelligan

That movie just refuses to die.

I never really liked Napolean Dynamite.  I really wanted to post "Your bike; give it to me", but didn't think anyone would get The Terminator reference.

I do take my bike off sweet jumps, though.  I actually broke the stem on the original fork jumping off some loading docks.  I really shouldn't be doing stuff like that at my age.

BexKix, Bagel Defender

You just got a TT bike a month out from a half ironman? You better spend plenty of time in the saddle to adjust to that position and even then I be you have some back and hip issues from it. Also instead of getting a paint job, spend the money on some clipless pedals. Otherwise good luck.

Have you had the chance to meet Dizzy, yet?

Man does that bike make me fast (engine was always good now putting it in a sports car instead of VW bus), I averaged better than 3MPH on it this morning (thats a lot to gain, I am gaining probably 10 miles on the ironman if not more, I want to finish the bike in 3 1/2 hours) and I was cramping too.  We ran 7 miles on ironman course and then I hopped on the bike for a 10.5 mile ride (I should have grabbed some Gatorade I get a little electrolyte imbalance if I don't take any) and I cramped a little on the bike.  I had my single best average EVER and I was cramping too boot blew me away.

7 miles running + 10.5 miles biking should not make you cramp unless you're in heat and humidity. You might be running into your body adjusting to the new bike. Congrats on the new speed. Smile

jblack I had to clean the living room to even work normally the living room is scattered from one end to the next with toys, its like an obstacle course that needs to be cleaned up nightly.

Fsocks I watched that video and laughed, was interested by the comment that nearly %100 of ironman competitors finish I am sure its not that high.  But I think with Ironman events you don't get many people who come in unprepared and just try and wing it, its a serious commitment to train for one even for than a marathon.  Heck I am at 1000 miles for the year (run,bike and swim) and I am only training for a half.

There are plenty of stats out there on IM DNSs and DNFs. Typical DNF rate is 5-7%. (Full Iron) St George and Louisville in 2010, to compare were twice that. That's general IM, if you want to narrow it to "competitors" I would venture to guess the percentage finishing is higher.
                              sirdizzy

STG finish rate was so low in 2012 because of the gale force winds, 40-50mph at times.  They pulled a lot from the water.  In 2011 it was unbearably hot.  LOL I am doing STG 70.3 and been praying for no heat or gale winds.  Course is brutal though 3593 feet of elevation gain on the bike, the run has to be something similar too I ran the first 3.5 and turned around and that was was 743 feet, and I hadn't even hit the last long climb that happens between 3.5-4 (bet it takes it to over a 1000, when I run it next I'll have to take my phone again to get the full elevation).  First 4 miles are uphill then you drop down for like 1.75 and then you climb back up 1.75 as its an out and back, finish should be nice like 4 miles downhill.  I ran it 3 weeks ago I think maybe 4 (well 11 miles of it didn't run the 2 mile detour through a golf course).

The cramps could be related to the new bike partly but I think it had more to do with nutrition.  It was the same cramps I used to get in halves and then in full marathons with my calves twitching, before I learned to do better nutritionally for races.  I hadn't eaten anything since 7pm the night before, stupid I know not a good way to tackle a 7 mile run then a 10.5 mile bike.  Its going good gotta hit the doctors office after work for my wives second pregnancy visit and am going to tackle a monster hill on the way to see how the bike does on monsters like I'll see in the ironman.

LOL I am glad I got the bike a month early there was a point where it looked like I might not get it until the week of the race.  I will have 71 miles on it since I got it after today.