Beginners and Beyond

What keeps you motivated? (Read 87 times)

delicate flower

When I first started running, seeing the pounds melt away kept me motivated.  As I've taken to racing (Oski's fault), faster race results keep me motivated.  I'd like to get to the point where I can consistently threaten for AG awards and get better OA finishes.  I'm getting there.  I realize I've only been running for two years and have a long way to go before maxing out my potential.

<3

Love the Half

Here's another motivation for me.  I finished a run the other day and was doing some post race stretching.  At the top of some steps, I saw an obese woman and her obese daughter.  The mother had to ask the daughter to step back closer to her so the mother could put a hand on the daughter's shoulder and gimp down the stairs.  There aren't more than 10 or 12 steps there and I'm fairly certain that I'm older than that mother.  I don't want to be the obese person who needs the electric buggy at Wal-Mart.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

happylily

For me, health and size have never been used as motivation to run. I know it's possible to be healthy and fit with a multitude of other sports that require way less time and particular type of clothing (Before running, I used to exercise 4 hours a week, in my basement, sometimes in my pajamas...) Running is more like a personal challenge to me. Almost more mental than physical.

Also, I will say that going back to running after being injured for two months and not being to run a single mile is way harder for me than my training 80 mpw for Boston was, or, even harder than my first year as a beginner runner, 5 years ago. Mentally, it is very hard to accept that a 9:00 pace is all I could do in August, when I started running again, while back in May, it was my very slow recovery pace. Even now, as I am entering race season with no hope of PRing, it's hard to stay motivated to race anyway. But I tell myself than I'm not the only one in that situation and that it's all part of being a runner. It's just another mental challenge for me to conquer...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Sloooow.

A couple of reasons.

My health. I'm losing weight slowly, and I've lost 50lbs thanks to running. I was sent for an EKG at my pre-op on Monday, because they were concerned about my 48 resting heart rate. I'm still 200lbs so I don't look like a person who is in shape. Being healthy, is a big motivator.

My second reason is kind of strange and hard to explain. Due to my status, I cannot work, I cannot go to school, I pretty much can't do anything. I don't exist on paper in this country and sometimes I feel invisible, worthless, just nothing. When I participate in a race, I register. They know who I am. I pass the finish line, and I'm acknowledged, congratulated! I feel important, and I feel proud of myself for accomplishing something. I can actually be part of something, and that is what keeps me running.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I guess I'm weird.  I don't ever really need to motivation to run.  I run because I can, and for the pure joy of running.

Running is dumb.

MothAudio

I guess I'm weird.  I don't ever really need to motivation to run.  I run because I can, and for the pure joy of running.

I would think that would be the best reason of all.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

Rondog65

The feeling of accomplishment after a race, training, monthly tally etc.

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)

HobbitLegs

elevenses

I echo those who run because they enjoy it. When I'm sick or hurt, I truly miss being out there. I'm not particularly fast and I don't do marathons, but I love being outside and having that time to myself. Right now, I love feeling the crispness that is creeping into the air and breathing in the scent of the leaves as they change. I also enjoy the time when DH or my RP are along. I enjoy the Thursday social runs I've been doing. I enjoy signing up for races and meeting other runners. I love crossing the finish line after training for an event. But mostly, I just love lacing up the shoes and getting outside for a bit.

To be sure, the health benefits are nice. I'm not on blood pressure meds like 3 of my other siblings are. My cholesterol is good. My resting heart rate is lower than it was last year. My weight is well within a healthy range for my height. I've enjoyed seeing my paces drop, but I don't care if I ever win anything. I do enjoy following those of you who do put up great times and log tons of miles. I also admire those of you who are just starting or who keep plugging along despite setbacks. I run because it makes me happy. It calms my mind and soothes my spirit. As long as running brings me joy, I'll keep lacing up the shoes and heading out the door.

catwhoorg

Labrat

My former fat self.

If I stop he will catch me.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Rubybaby43

enabler

I started (mostly) for two reasons -- only one of those two reasons is one of the two things that now keeps me motivated to run.

1) I am grateful for the legs I have.  They are in good working order.  My DH almost lost the lower part of his left leg to a bone tumor in 2006.

2) I like to eat good food and drink good beer.

KLO

more miles = more beer

It's fun.

If I'm not adequately prepared for some of the longer backcountry races, it could be a really long day out there. What do I want to feel like when 19mi from closest trailhead in bear country?

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                        Love the Half

My former fat self.

If I stop he will catch me.

Heh.  I know that feeling.  When I did my birthday 50 miler last year, I commented that I had put another 50 miles between me and the fat guy I used to be.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).