Beginners and Beyond

Not enough caffeine in the world Penguins (Read 29 times)

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." WinkIt can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Good morning penguins.  I'm doubling back (a usual thing Wednesdays to Thursdays) but I'm exhausted this time around.  Life is good, just tired.  LOL  Knees are doing very well this morning.  I am thinking I may walk on the dreadmill Saturday to judge where I'm at.

Who's racing this weekend?!  There is a fairly large "festival" just down the road from my house - "Suds and Snow."  They bring in several small craft brewers, a smattering of local restaurants, and you bring snow shoes.  It's a good time all in all.  NO races unfortunately.

Everyone have a great day - my coffee just finished up in the espresso pot so I'm OUT OF HERE!  Smile

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

N-bug - That's good to hear that you're feeling good.  Enjoy that coffee!

AFM - I'm currently going through that part of my training where the training is going well, but I'm not sure if it's going well enough.  The pace I want to maintain for the race seems too fast, etc.  I want to trust my training, but it's difficult at times.  I didn't trust that I could maintain my goal pace in Indianapolis, and yet I beat it by 5 seconds and felt great.  I have to keep reminding myself of that.  Well, I gotta get to work.  Catch y'all later.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Currently caffinating myself. MAN I love my Keurig!!!

Nbug- I'm racing this weekend!! Me! Me! Me! lol.... very hilly 5K in Manhattan. Hoping to PR. That festival sounds awesome!

Today should’ve been a run day. But based on how my ITB has been behaving earlier in the week (and it feels ok now and I want to keep it that way!) I didn’t want to chance aggravating it. I’m looking forward too much to my 5K on Sunday to risk pissing off the knee. 3 days pre-race there really aren’t gains in fitness you can make to benefit the race from a running workout, anyway, right?? To play it safe I hit the gym for a killer elliptical workout. Throughout the whole ITB ordeal than has been going on for 2 months, the elliptical never has aggravated it, so figured it was a safe workout. 30 minutes including 3 min warm up and cool down, 2 minute intervals of higher speed, resistance and incline (though the actual resistance and incline varied each time) with 3 minute recovery periods. Then hip and core exercises and stretching. Foam roller at home.

Day 3 of Weight Watchers for me…. not looking forward to being hungry but I’m getting smarter about it already, yesterday I used less points and was less hungry than Tuesday.

Have a great day!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning penguins!!!

Mornin' Vance, I agree, never enough caffeine!  That festival sounds like fun, I like stuff like that.  No racing for me this weekend, Saturday I'll have my last long run before my half. Smile

Awood, don't sweat it, trust your training, you're gonna kill it.

AFM, had an absolutely outstanding run this morning, 9 fast and very smooth miles.  I love runs like that, where I feel very smooth and efficient (more often than not I feel fairly uncoordinated, like I'm just clomping along, even if it's at a good pace lol).  I like to imagine that this is how it feels for elite runners, just gliding along, except at a much faster pace.  At least that's how it looks to me, they always seem to be running so effortlessly.  Every once in a while, it's nice to feel just a touch of that. Smile

Hope everyone has a fantastic day!!! Big grin

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Mmmmm...beer

Kristin, you snuck in while I was typing. Smile  You're absolutely right, any running you do over the next three days won't change your fitness, so it's much better to take care of your ITB and go into the race strong.  Enjoy your workout!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Thanks for starting us off, Vance.  Glad your knees are feeling better.   Happy walking on the dreadmill Saturday.

Good luck with your training, Awood, hope you figure it out!

Hilly 5K? You are a glutton for punishment, aren't you, Kristin? Wink  Good luck and hope your knees behave.

Congrats on your 'elite' run, Dave!

I am leaving work early for my ultrasound appointment, they are checking the mesh in my hernia area, make sure I do not have a recurrence of the hernia.  After that, I will go to a local park this afternoon and get a few miles in.   Cooler today in San Antonio, 42 degrees right now, supposed to be a mild 64 or so for our high today.    Saturday I am doing the Diploma Dash 5K at the university where I work.  Race #15 for me for 2013.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

hog4life

Scotty, good luck on the appointment. Are you having issues with the mesh?

Dave, nice run.

Vance, the festival sounds like fun.

Kristin, good luck this weekend.

Zel, is your plan in your log? I'm curious to see it, maybe use for next half in the fall.

I run 6.2 last night at 9:04 pace. It was quite the struggle at first, but ended fine. I'll go for more easy miles tonight.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

good luck with the appointment scotty! looking forward to another scottydawg RR

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Scotty, good luck on the appointment. Are you having issues with the mesh?

Dave, nice run.

Vance, the festival sounds like fun.

Kristin, good luck this weekend.

Zel, is your plan in your log? I'm curious to see it, maybe use for next half in the fall.

I run 6.2 last night at 9:04 pace. It was quite the struggle at first, but ended fine. I'll go for more easy miles tonight.

Not sure. Sometimes I get "mesh neuropathy' as the mesh "resettles" on occasion into my flesh, and get a few aches, pains, and discomfort in the side, that makes it feel like it did when I initially got the hernia.  My surgeon warned me about this and said it was NOT a hernia recurrence, but a normal reaction of my flesh to the mesh and should last about 7 days or so.  He told me, however, if the discomfort lasted longer than 7  days, go get checked.  This has been ongoing for about 14 days this time, so that is why they are checking, to be sure it is not a hernia recurrence, and to be sure the mesh is still tightly in place, etc.  Well, the surgery was in 2005, so 8 years with no problems post-surgery in that area is pretty good, IMHO.   So we shall see.  I don't think it is a recurrence, personally, cuz my doc tacked that mesh sucker in pretty darn good.  It may be also that, because I don't eat as 'nutritionally" as I should - I've put on a couple of pounds - that is also a factor with the mesh resettling.   Anyway, will see what the test results show and go from there.  So how is yours doing, Mitch?  Of course, you are in way better shape than I am, so are probably having less, or no, problems.  Happy for you that you are doing so well!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

hog4life

Not sure. Sometimes I get "mesh neuropathy' as the mesh "resettles" on occasion into my flesh, and get a few aches, pains, and discomfort in the side, that makes it feel like it did when I initially got the hernia.  My surgeon warned me about this and said it was NOT a hernia recurrence, but a normal reaction of my flesh to the mesh and should last about 7 days or so.  He told me, however, if the discomfort lasted longer than 7  days, go get checked.  This has been ongoing for about 14 days this time, so that is why they are checking, to be sure it is not a hernia recurrence, and to be sure the mesh is still tightly in place, etc.  Well, the surgery was in 2005, so 8 years with no problems post-surgery in that area is pretty good, IMHO.   So we shall see.  I don't think it is a recurrence, personally, cuz my doc tacked that mesh sucker in pretty darn good.  It may be also that, because I don't eat as 'nutritionally" as I should - I've put on a couple of pounds - that is also a factor with the mesh resettling.   Anyway, will see what the test results show and go from there.  So how is yours doing, Mitch?  Of course, you are in way better shape than I am, so are probably having less, or no, problems.  Happy for you that you are doing so well!

Scotty, my surgery was in 2011, and although it seemed to take forever to heal(1.5 years), I haven't had any issues so far. Do you remember seeing all the adds on TV about the "mesh" recall/lawsuit? I have some concerns due to this, but am really hoping I don't need to pursue that. Good luck and let me know how it goes.

stupid computer-

I had a long post written.

basically:

good morning

i ran 8.2

monthly total a new high 150 miles

have a good day penguins

later

t-rod

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Zelanie

Morning!  Got my 10 last night.  I remembered afterwards that 10 miles was the distance that I had a hard time getting up to for my LR when I started the plan.  Now it's just a midweek LR distance.  So that was kind of fun.

Mitch- My plan is in my log.  So far I've only sketched it out through my 10 mile race.  I kind of adjust it as I go depending on how my runs are going.  Basically, there's a LR, a MLR, and then either V02Max *or* LT every week.  And on the LT weeks, you're supposed to do 10x100 strides, but I don't always get to it.  I'm also a tad short on the miles, although if I stay on schedule I will be caught up next week.  I could probably send you a scan of the actual plan if you want.

Vance- Sounds like a fun festival!  Hope your knee continues to feel good!

Awood- Your training is going awesome!  You know it!  I feel that way too, sometimes it feels like I'm making huge gains, and quickly, and other times it's like, "I'm still here?"  But you're rocking those tough tempos.  After a taper, you will find speed you didn't even know you had.

kristin- The elliptical sounds like a great compromise!  Good luck this weekend!

D2- Happy for you that you had such a nice run!

Scotty- Hope everything comes out OK on the ultrasound.

T-rod- Congrats on the monthly mileage PR!  Not easy to do in February!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Back from my allergy shot, working from home now.  10-13 miles tonight.

Have a nice day!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

I am not caring for my Newtons too much so they are going back today. Later I am going to the LRS to see about a new pair. Assuming I get my run in, it will be a tempo run; 1 mile warm up, 20 minutes hard(7:20) and 1 mile cool down.

Have a good day.