Beginners and Beyond

Seriously early, Penguins... and on a Saturday! (Read 30 times)

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." WinkIt can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Mornin' gang...  I'm still waiting for the coffee to finish!

11.5 miles yesterday on a paved trail that was 95% free of ice/snow.  I was pleasantly surprised.  In the few areas that still had some ice/etc I just went easy or even walked.  Yesterday was the start of the local St Patrick's Day pub crawl so I donned my bright ORANGE shirt and ran through downtown.  Too my disappointment most of the revelers were tucked away somewhere.  LOL  Anyway, I feel good this morning, somewhat stiff.  SRD for me today and tomorrow.

Also, I was listening to a few podcasts and one had a doctor on there that discussed overhydrating during long runs drinking only when thirsty, etc.  He basically feels that most conditioned runners for distances up to half marathon probably won't need to hydrate under most conditions, weather being the one factor that will influence that the most.  He even went to say up to 20 miles.  However, each runner has to be the judge of it and pay attention to the thirst factor - not dry mouth, but thirst.  He also at length discussed over hydration and hyponatremia which was pretty interesting.

Anyway, coffee is ready and I just started the Jeep.  We got another inch of snow last night... UGGG.  LOL  Have a great dayl

Bin Running

Vance, seriously early mate.

Ran 7M with 5.5 on the trail. The trail is abt 6M long, according to what other measured.  I ran 2.5M and had to turn back as there's a pool of water under a flyover that will surely wet my shoes too much. Maybe another day, I can run further.

I'm also not sure how my joint will like the way the trail twist and turn them.

On phone, so I can't paste pic. On fb for those linked.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Bin Running

Vance, can't believe you are still getting snow..

Pics taken this morning..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Bin - gorgeous pics!  I appreciate the view of some greenery...

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning Vance and Bin.  SRD for me and DW after yesterday's long run.  Not sore at all.

Good luck to Saturday Racers and Pub Crawlers Big grin

Tori Runs in PA

Pittsburgh RN!

+1!!!!!!

Bin - gorgeous pics!  I appreciate the view of some greenery...

Do or do not, there is no try. 

My first races EVER! 

Saxonburg Distance Series 5KRaces: 

#1: 7-14-2012 Cross Country Crusade 5K: 42:50 

#2: 8-11-2012 Roebling's Run 5K: 38:54

#3: 9-8-2012 Festival of the Arts 5K: 36:37

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

wow Vance and Bin nice runs both of you! love the pics bin!

So I made an executive decision to skip my run today. I am not happy about it. But, though my ankle feels ok, I think I need to not push it. When I walk it feels ok now but when I really put pressure on it or jump on one leg I feel a little twinge. I think I must have just tweaked it, and I think it will be ok, byt if I run on it I could turn it ibto more of an issue I think. So...URD it is. Hating my body right now. But my boyfriend and I have a fun day planned and a concert in DC tonight so I'm trying to ket it go.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

i made a lot of typos but my phone doesn't let me edit so oh well lol

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Tori Runs in PA

Pittsburgh RN!

hey penguins!!! I ran 3 miles two days ago.....might go out later with my friend...

I am the proud owner of a new 2013 Subaru Impreza Limited model in venetian red!! It's GORGEOUS!! I want spring to come so bad however, I also want at least one more snow storm so that I can try out the AWD!! Her name is Ruby the Venetian Red Subie! Big grin I am LOVING the heated leather seats though!!! AHhhh!!

You might need to call the show..whatever the heck it's called "my wierd obsession" where people are infatuated with weird things because I LOVE my car! I do not watch this ridiculous show because I think it's CRAZY and not real, but I did see a commercial for it where this guy ...seriously...makes out with his car....This show can't be real????

Other this this it's been enjoying have my life back and studying for my boards which I take towards the end of the this month!

That is all folks, I'll report back later!!!

Have a great day, back to getting my couple hundred NCLEX (board exam) questions done for the day! They suggest we do no less than 3,000 questions in order to prepare for this....Yoi.

My first races EVER! 

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

N-Bug - You need a coffee maker with a delay brew feature.  My coffee is ready when I wake up, and the reason I get out of bed.  As for the article, I've read a lot about hydration and the popular conclusion right now is that a LOT of runners overhydrate.  In a facebook group I belong too there are people who claim to empty an entire camel back on a medium long run.  In a sport where people count their gear in ounces, it blows my mind that people will take on literally pounds of water.  I can't stand water stops.  So, I carried 8 oz. of water with Endurolytes on my half marathon.  I think I had 6 oz left at the end.  I prefer to hydrate in the days leading up to the race.  I know I'll probably drink more during my first full marathon, or if I run a race on a hot day, but it probably won't be any insane amount.

Bin - That trail is just awesome.  I think if you are slow, steady and careful back there that trail could make your joints pretty strong.  Like anything, too much, too fast, too soon could be bad.

Jerry - Enjoy your RD.

Kristin - Very smart.  Worthy of the title, "Executive" decision.  If you think something needs rest, it probably does.  The last thing you want to do is anything that will cause a setback in the progress you've made.

Tori - The car sounds awesome.  I probably could have used one of those a couple of times this year.  The snow storm I hit in Saginaw earlier this year comes to mind.  Congratulations.  I can't wait for some nice weather because I miss washing and waxing my car in the parking lot.

AFM - I'm so excited.  Remember I told you guys about the Damn Bridge for the locks of people who got married in Hell?  Well, I ordered a custom lock on Thursday night, and they sent a picture of it last night.  It's shipping this morning.  Anybody that's on my FB can see it.  Also, most of my cake making supplies came in yesterday.  It's a nice distraction because I'm officially starting my taper.  I'm going to run with P3 later today, and then I'll be following the taper recommended by Jack Daniels from here on out.  I've had a really good week of runs, and I'm feeling pretty good at this point.  I've spent some time getting the feel of HM pace, and had a 9 mile progression that ended with a mile 40 seconds faster than HM pace.  The weather is really looking promising again for race day.  This week will be a bit of a roller coaster I'm sure, but right now I'm feeling at peace with my training.  I don't see how it could have been any better than it was.  I was 218 pounds yesterday morning.  That's 19 pounds lighter than my first HM.  I'm stoked.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Greetings!!

N-Bug - thanks for getting us up and running this morning!

Bin - nice trail! Did you see any snakes?

Jerry - good thing to be not sore after a LR - means you ran it right!

Tori - My dad has a Subaru and those heated seats are sweet - I don't know why he needs them in North Carolina though!

Kristin - ahhh the joy of random aches and pains that come out of no where! I woke up and my right foot hurt in one spot - and I didn't do anything yesterday!

Hog - It's funny how someone predicted your time at 22:47 - I was going to forecast 22:45! Run like the wind!

Awood - you've been doing some serious training. If all goes well I bet you could get sub 1:50!

Someone asked about myrtl exercises - they are 12 exercises that work the hip girdle. I had stopped doing them for a few weeks and I almost had to start at the beginning as far as reps. All those little supporting muscles get weak fast since they don't get used a lot.

As for me SRD. I like to take 2 days off before a race. It's a 5K and I don't know what to expect except that I have no expectations. My cold is almost gone but my training has really been marginal. I was trying to get a feel for pace during this last week to see how my body would respond. Anyway I will run the best I can. I'll have my Garmin on but I never look at it during a race - I go completely by effort.

Good luck to everyone racing!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Tori Runs in PA

Pittsburgh RN!

Here she is!! Ruby!!!!! heated leather seats, heated side mirrors, heated windshield wiper de-icer!!! Moon roof!! AHHHH!! bluetooth enabled!! I am STOKED!! :-)

My first races EVER! 

hog4life

The sub 23 barrier still eludes me. I finished in 23:51, but it was good for 12/95 OA, and 1/4 AG so I'm happy about that. I'll get a $25 gift card to the LRS.

I'll catch up on personals later.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Mitch - I wonder if you would have broken the 23 barrier if the field were larger?  I think that a lot of my extra effort comes from chasing someone that I think I have a chance of catching.  With only 11 people ahead of you, your options could be seriously limited.  Congrats on the AG victory!  You've still got me beat.

The sub 23 barrier still eludes me. I finished in 23:51, but it was good for 12/95 OA, and 1/4 AG so I'm happy about that. I'll get a $25 gift card to the LRS.

I'll catch up on personals later.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013