Beginners and Beyond

Training for a marathon after 2 months with zero running (Read 161 times)

Love the Half

Here's my take.

If it was a goal race and I wanted to PR, I'd bag it.  That is exactly what I did for what was supposed to be my BQ attempt.  I missed six weeks, started running again at the end of August, and had about 8 or 9 weeks before my planned marathon.  I knew that wasn't enough time to adequately prepare for a seriously hard effort.  OTOH, if I mainly cared about having fun as I did in Boston, then 12 weeks is enough time to get ready to comfortably cover the distance.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Docket_Rocket

Ooh, she could pace me!

Here's an idea.  Just throwing it out there.  I think you can definitely train to finish and actually I don't think you'd be that far off of your PR, but what about training to pace someone slower who would love the guidance?  I'm looking to run under 4:10 which is WAY slower than you, but maybe you know someone looking to run 3:50 or looking to break 4 hours?  That way you aren't stressing your body too much and are helping someone else achieve their goal, while getting to enjoy the crazy fun that is the Chicago Marathon.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Ooh, she could pace me!

Y'all two shy ladies would be quiet and wouldnt find one photographer Big grin

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Docket_Rocket

And would dress in old clothes and no skirts, right?

Although I am not sure I want to take a picture of me and Lily.  I would look like I weigh 200lbs besides her.

Y'all two shy ladies would be quiet and wouldnt find one photographer Big grin

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

How's the heel as of right now?

Was it doc that said it was ok to start back running again?

If so, did they have any suggestions for how much load you can handle?

Randy

Resident Historian

You have sufficient time to train to run the marathon, but not for a PR. But, you don't have to decide now. Why not start the training, and decide a little closer to the race? That's not going to cost more $, and you know you're going to start running anyway. Decide a little closer to race day, when you have a better feel for how well you could run. IMO, going for social reasons like pacing D.R. would be well worth the added cost of travel to the race

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

LRB

Go to Chicago and enjoy the run. Hop in with a slower pace group and have a good time. Dress up in a funny Canadian outfit and chat with people.

lol, that ain't happenin'.

happylily

Thank you all for your opinions and suggestions. I have until September 1st to cancel. After this date, the cancellation penalty will be higher and I will lose $600, instead of $325.  But I give myself until August 1st to make my final decision. At that point, what will matter is not so much what my finall time will be, but can I run 26.2 miles without pain. No PR attempt for a while, I'll save that for Boston '14. Whether that's even realistic, I don't know...

I would definitely love to pace someone in Chicago! Heck, maybe I'll need one of you to pace ME! Big grin And the prospect of meeting, running with and being cheered by a few friends is definitely appealing and makes the outcome of the race really not important. I just want to be able to run. I can't even hike at the moment... But I bet I could cycle to Tierra del Fuego if I had to. I'm not letting my old legs go to waste that early in my life. Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I would definitely love to pace someone in Chicago! Heck, maybe I'll need one of you to pace ME! Big grin And the prospect of meeting, running with and being cheered by a few friends is definitely appealing and makes the outcome of the race really not important. I just want to be able to run. I can't even hike at the moment... But I bet I could cycle to Tierra del Fuego if I had to. I'm not letting my old legs go to waste that early in my life. Big grin

Definitely poor planning on my part. I would have loved to spend 5+ hours with you pacing me, but I'm committed to Towpath that weekend. And I have two sisters, my granddaughter, and a niece who all live in Chicago or the suburbs too.

Does the Pan-American Highway go all the way to Tierra del Fuego?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

happylily

lol, that ain't happenin'.

LOL... I missed that. Big grin

happylily

Definitely poor planning on my part. I would have loved to spend 5+ hours with you pacing me, but I'm committed to Towpath that weekend. And I have two sisters, my granddaughter, and a niece who all live in Chicago or the suburbs too.

Does the Pan-American Highway go all the way to Tierra del Fuego?

Awww... it's too bad! :-( I would have loved to run this with you.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Here's a question.  How much different will your training be between now and then if you do cancel?  If you're the type of person that's going to push it anyway, then why not plan on going?  Chicago is a beautiful City.  If you think that not having the race there will help you to ease back into training, then by all means do what is going to be best for you long term.

Based on what I'm reading though, its not likely that you'd run a race just for fun.  That leads me to believe that you might push your training with or without a scheduled race.  At least a race would assure a taper, and a trip to Chicago.

I could be completely wrong.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Docket_Rocket

Noticed how she ignored my offer....?

Awww... it's too bad! :-( I would have loved to run this with you.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

MrNamtor

Your base was extremely solid prior to your injury. Chicago is flat, the crowds are terrific, and the temperature is usually close to perfect. That's all i am qualified to say at this point. Big grin

outoftheblue

No advice, but I wanted to drop in to wish you good luck with whatever you decide.

Life is good.