Beginners and Beyond

Cortisone Injections (Read 107 times)

LRB

Welp, despite my sincerest efforts to get this thing right, my hip has been actin' bad lately.  It could be that I am simply still in the rehab stage, and just need to keep strengthening it.

As I approach the start of the racing season however, I am beginning to think it may just be something that I will have to manage.  I am actually cool with that, except the specter of running another marathon in pain is not so inviting.

I have plenty of time before the marathon, but not so much before marathon training, and all that comes with that.  I have a followup visit with my sports doc soon and am just looking for options.  From the initial examination, hip joint issues or degradation has been ruled out.  X rays were negative and my symptoms did not justify an MRI, at that time.

So my question is this: has anyone had a cortisone shot in any area, and if so, what was your experience with it.  Also, for those who have dealt with hip pain, do you think it's a good idea to try it or, is there some other avenue that you tried possibly?

Thanks.

happylily

So, so sorry for you... I can't give advice about cortisone, but I had hip pain when I started running. I found out that my left leg is a bit shorter than my right one, which was causing the pain in the left hip. I was given a little heel to put in my left shoe. But I never had to use it. I started taking GC (I know, I know... I read the other thread and everyone thinks it's some sort of fraudulous crap), the pain left after less than a month. Not sure if it was the GS, or my body was ready to adapt to my running at that moment... I'll never know, but I'm still taking the GC. Never had any joint pain anywhere since...

I know it doesn't really help you, LRB. I feel your pain, though. Hugs to you.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

I don't have any advice on the issue, but hope you find something that works for you!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

RSX

You may get a lot of negative comments about cortisone shots in general. I have had them in 3 areas, hip, fascia, and shoulder. For my hip and shoulder I noticed no difference after it wore off, so never tried a second shot. However for PF it worked very well with the series of shots. Maybe it is different for you.

A few years ago I started getting hip pain. X-rays showed nothing, and I turned down an MRI as well. It was a moving target, but when it settled in my hip I tried different things through trial and error. A torso turn weight machine helped, iced, and used kinesio tape. 1 minor thing that helped a lot was making that area more comfortable by loosening my belt during the day, and changing into sweats soon after I got home.

notimeforthat

Is it your hip (meaning around the groin area where the hip joint is located) or your bursa on the lateral aspect of your leg where the ITB runs across and can irritate the bursa sac?

A long time ago I had the bursa sac injected with depo-medrol by a rheumatologist. It hurt so badly that I was pretty sure I would have been willing to just limp, but it freed me up to be able to rehab the leg and strengthen it.

Cortisone in and of itself isn't BAD, but it can be a fix that masks the real reason for the injury. Definitely let Sports Med take a peek at you, PT even, to see if it is labral tear/hip issue vs. trochanteric bursitis (which is a hell of a lot easier to fix).

LRB

Thanks peeps!

lily, I am not dead yet lol!  One of my PT's did mention however, that my right leg was just a tad shorter than the left, but thought that stretching would help with that.  It is something I will mention to the doc, thanks for mentioning it, I had completely forgot about that.

RSX I am hoping I didn't start one of those threads, sheesh!

AI, it is more where the joint is, and emanates from within there if that makes sense.

yeoldefatguy

I got a couple in my shoulder years ago. If I remember right it worked as an anti-inflammatory and masked the real problem. It worked and got me through a season, but the problem remained until I eventually blew everything out in my shoulder. Then the surgeons had to put humpty dumpty back together again. I should add that the cortisone had nothing to do with my shoulder injury but it probably delayed the inevitable. I've heard of side effects including tissue damage if used too often. I have also heard of people getting them for treatment before a big race and no problems. Good luck.

Hip Redux

I would recommend the MRI first before the shot.  Just to be sure there isn't something unexpected going on, or even to just confirm  cortisone will help.

I have had six, myself.  So I'm not bashing the 'roids, but just thinking that sometimes an MRI can be helpful first.  I have not had any in the hip, but for me they have been extremely effective in managing the pain, although in a few times only temporarily.

flarunner

I would suggest you do a lot of research on the pros and cons. And ask the Dr. questions, lots of questions. Like Allie said, cortisone shots aren't bad, but you really need to find the cause and treat that instead of just treating the symptoms. I know you've been doing this but I just want to remind you to keep doing it. I sure hope you heal soon.

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I have had them in the big joint in my foot and the pain of the actual needle was EXCRUCIATING. I swear that was the thickest needle on planet Earth. It did help to get rid of the pain, and when it wore off I was no worse for the wear. I agree that you'll need to get to the root of things but it was a good quick fix (I had three of them all in the same joint and mostly all before bigger races I was training for). Personally once I got myself into the correct pair of shoes, the pain went away so it was a fairly easy "true" fix. I still have nightmares about that enormous needle, though (and I'm not a huge needle-phobe).

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

Hip Redux

I have had them in the big joint in my foot and the pain of the actual needle was EXCRUCIATING. I swear that was the thickest needle on planet Earth. It did help to get rid of the pain, and when it wore off I was no worse for the wear. I agree that you'll need to get to the root of things but it was a good quick fix (I had three of them all in the same joint and mostly all before bigger races I was training for). Personally once I got myself into the correct pair of shoes, the pain went away so it was a fairly easy "true" fix. I still have nightmares about that enormous needle, though (and I'm not a huge needle-phobe).

Try getting it in your spine!  Six times!  LOL

I actually found that it wasn't the needle, but the fluid they inject causing so much PRESSURE in an already sore area.   This could be a spine-specific situation, since there is only so much free space there.

onemile

I got a cortisone injection into my knee for ITBS.  It completely cleared up my pain...until I tried to run again. And then it was right back where I started.  Graston worked so much better and I wish I would have tried it sooner.

notimeforthat

Thanks peeps!

lily, I am not dead yet lol!  One of my PT's did mention however, that my right leg was just a tad shorter than the left, but thought that stretching would help with that.  It is something I will mention to the doc, thanks for mentioning it, I had completely forgot about that.

RSX I am hoping I didn't start one of those threads, sheesh!

AI, it is more where the joint is, and emanates from within there if that makes sense.

Makes perfect sense and makes even more sense to get the MRI first as someone said. Cortisone isn't going to help tears or stress fractures, so best to rule that stuff out first and go from there. If you have not already, I would seek out an ortho that is sports med specific and talk to them.

Peace out!

I had excruciating pain in my lower back/hip a number of years ago. After trying other methods (PT, even god help me, chiropractic) I got the injection. It took about two weeks to kick in, but I was suddenly pain free after a long time of suffering. It lasted about five years. I'm going in for another one next week as it's begun affecting my running (and it's heading into the excruciating range again). Now that I'm stronger and healthier (I was a fat tub of goo last time), I'm hoping the effects last longer.

PRs:

5k -    22:39      12/11     10k -  49:10      11/11

20k -  1:56:56    9/12      13.1 - 1:54:07    3/12

30k -   3:05:54   9/12      26.2 -  5:00:27 10/12

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

I got a couple in my shoulder years ago. If I remember right it worked as an anti-inflammatory and masked the real problem. It worked and got me through a season, but the problem remained until I eventually blew everything out in my shoulder. 

This would be my worry.

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them