Beginners and Beyond

Running in Spain (Read 49 times)

Cyberic

I have an Internet friend from another life when I used to play music. He is a Spaniard, and lives in Madrid. We could not meet while I was there, as he was away on vacation, but we communicated a lot through emails while I was there, telling him what I was seeing, and my impressions, and him explaining to me the Spaniard point of view on my observations. Very fun, for both of us.

I sent him the link to this post because I often told him things I did not appreciate or I didn't understand while I was there, and it left him with the impression I did not like Spain that much. By sending him this link I wanted him to read what I told North Americans of what I saw.

Anyways, he answered my email and brought some rectifications and corrections to my previous posts. So here are Víctor's thoughts and corrections on my posts.

• The monument which I didn't remember the name or in which park in Barcelona is the "Cascada" del Parque de la Ciudadela.
    • That building (in the Madrid section) is not the Bank of Spain, it is the City Hall (old Post and Telegraph Palace-Palacio de Correos). The Bank of Spain is just to the right of you (to the right of the person who made ​​the picture, ie, you). The building of the Bank of Spain is much uglier than the City Hall. The City Hall is very beautiful.
    • This monument that you say it is weird in Sevilla is "El Huevo de Colón"("the egg of Columbus"). It represents Columbus and three ships with which Spaniards discovered America. Nationality of Colón is unknown, but the three ships, sailors and project financing were Spanish.
    • Zelanie is right. Her answer is correct. In Spain and most of Latin America (except I think in Argentina and Uruguay) the V is pronounced as a B (bilabial). We use the same phoneme for b and v. This is the reason that children when they are learning in school make spelling mistakes writing a B instead of a V, or vice versa. In Old Castilian (Spanish medieval), They were two different phonemes, the V was pronounced as a soft F (labio-dental). Currently there are two graphs that correspond to the same phoneme. If I (a Spanish) pronounce the English words "boys" and "voice", you would think that in both cases I'm saying "boys"

And he finished by telling me this: "The only thing I do not like about your post is that you say that the Spaniards have a tendency to throw their things on the ground a lot. I don't do it. "

So maybe my attempt to answer happylily's question was wrong. Maybe it was partly right. But it sure was too judgemental.