Beginners and Beyond

Report/Photos: River Road 4-Miler (Read 16 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT VERSION REPORT

My 2nd event of 2014.  Held in New Braunfels, Texas, along River Road, which winds alongside the Guadalupe River.  Start and finish was at the River Road Ice House - <cite>www.riverroadicehouse.com</cite> -  an establishment of live music,bar,beer,water,float,tubing,ice house.  Th Ice House graciously gave us access to their premises, so we could keep a bit warm prior to the start and have the use of indoor restroom facilities instead of a porta-potty, which was nice. Besides the 5K, there was also a half marathon.  This was a fairly small event, with 35 or so folks doing the 4-miler and 70+ doing the half marathon.   I ended up with a finish time of  47:31. Usually I do about 44-someting for a 4-miler but River Road is quite scenic along the river, so I took several more photo breaks than I usually do.

LONG VERSION REPORT WITH PHOTOS

Since this race was at the Ice House, I felt wearing my Penguin socks would be appropriate....

photo RiverRoad002_zps2c188218.jpg

The weather was actually pretty cooperative.  About 41 or 42 degrees, with a bit of a wind blowing, so  a tad chilly for we South Texans, but overall not too bad.  I had on a long-sleeved running shirt with a light base layer underneath it and I felt fine for the whole run.  As usual for South Texas races, clothing choices quite varied, with some folks wearing jackets, hats, etc., some in just shorts and shirts - some even wore singlets, and so forth.

BEFORE THE RACE - New Braunfels is only about 30 minutes drive from San Antonio, so I got there pretty quick. With about 40 minutes to start time, I wandered around getting some pre-start photos.

The River Road Ice House

This lovely lady was the Ice House employee who hosted us

AthleteGuild staff who did our MC and timing duties, course set-up, etc.  Local race company AthleteGuild, as is par for them, did a great job.

Another  of our great AthleteGuild folks (or maybe he was a volunteer), with his 4-legged pal, Bolt

Inside the Ice House

Two lovely lady volunteers who did Race Day registration duties, worked the finish line, etc.

Waiting for the start

Getting ready to go....

ON THE COURSE

Half-Marathoners and Four-Milers all started together and the first mile was run in silence in memory of Lauren Bump, a young lady who was tragically murdered this week in San Antonio, in O.P. Schnabel Park (story here; and a man recently was arrested by San Antonio Police in connection with her murder:   http://www.kens5.com/news/Local-runners-on-edge-after-womans-death-inside-OP-Schnabel-Park-238622651.html ).  O.P. Schnable is a very popular local running park for training runs, races, etc.  I run there often myself.  It is normally a pretty safe park, so this tragedy, as well as being terrible for her family and friends, also shook up our local running communities.  I did not know Lauren personally, but the loss of any runner is felt by all runners everywhere.  My heart goes out to her family and friends.

Starting out...

Going out, we ran with the river on our right

This was still 'open road" so we were warned multiple times by the race staff to be sure to stay on the far right of the road.  We did get passed by drivers at times and, at least where I was at any given time, they all seemed pretty polite  and safety-conscious about taking it slow going by us.

We crossed the river on this bridge twice, once going out, once coming back.

A view from the bridge, showing some of the runners ahead of me who already crossed the bridge and were making their way down the road; you can see some of their 'forms: through the trees across the river.  That one visible green shirt there is the lady who won the 4-miler overall, I think.  In this photo, she is already making her way back to the finish before I even crossed the bridge. Speedy!

River is now on my left as I make my way to the 4-mile turn-around point

Folks way faster than me who already made the turn-around point and are heading back to the Ice House.

Going to, and coming from, the turn-around point.

I've now made the turn-around and am heading back.  This is looking back the way I just came

Once again, across the bridge....

Views from the bridge...

AthleteGuild owner, and friend of mine, Scott Wood, on the course keeping track, making sure all the runners out on the course have returned.

Slightly beyond the 3-mile mark now; river  is now on my left.

Monster Hill #1 to climb before as we head to the finish...

Looking back behind me from the hill

Monster Hill #2 to climb before we finish, with one guy ahead of me just about to crest it...

...and then he's a little dot ahead of me....

Looking back behind me from the 2nd hill, seeing folks cresting the first hill.  And the first hill was really only an extension of the second hill, lol, as we only had this very short expanse of level road - maybe 50 yards long, if that - that these folks behind me were coming upon, before we hit the 2nd hill.  My legs were sore climbing these hills after 3 miles, so I can only imagine what those half-marathon folks felt like with TWELVE miles on their legs.  Sadistic race director!

And then I ran nonstop up that last hill and to the finish and then I was done (yay!) and taking finish photos of a few of the folks I had interacted with on the course.

After the Race - Happy Finishers, etc.

All the finishers for the half and 4-miler got finisher medals.

Age-group award winner

This young man on the right not only won his age group, he got an award for being youngest participant.  He is also VERY speedy.  I was on the bridge still heading out when I saw him already the other way across the bridge.  He finished the 4-miler in 36-something.

As for post-race goodies, we had some sausage tacos, prepared by these good fellows...

We had some live music....

And beer from the keg, oh yeah....

Nice quality, long-sleeved race shirt, very bright orange, my favorite color..

....with a nice logo of a runner by the river..

The finisher medals had the same logo, and do did the awards trophies

EPILOG

This is the first time I have done this event, but won't be the last.  I'm surprised it is not more popular - especially the 4-miler, being a shorter race - having a really nice race shirt, scenic course along the river,  unique finisher medals and trophies, and really nice post-race goodies at a very hospitable location, the Ice House.   Definitely one to put on your race calendar to do in the future!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Nice race report Scotty.  That looks like a very nice race.  I love running or hiking near water.

Hip Redux

Great job, Scotty!  It looks like you had a pretty place to run.

Very sad about the runner who was murdered.  Sad  Scary stuff.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

mmmm.,,,Sausage Tacos look good. Nice race, Scott.