Beginners and Beyond

Is it Spring Yet, ThursDAILIES? (Read 53 times)

Jess runs for bacon

Goooooood morning!

I had a dream that LRB was volunteering at my race on Saturday.

Thinking about 4 miles at lunch. Maybe with fartleks? Who knows. The forecast for early next week is calling for high 60's and low 70's. Whoa momma.

*swoons*

Rick, I hope that your shoe test goes well.

Damaris, enjoy lifting. I hope that you and Trixie hear good news.

flarunner, terrific tempo run.

Phil, have fun doing whatever you do.

BruceD555, have a fantastic post-work fourteen-miler.

lilac_jive, I hope that IT band work and the four-mile run go well.

scottydawg, enjoy the hills.

AprilRunner, a lunchtime run sounds like the perfect pick-me-up.

I'm on my way back to work, after an almost two-week break. I miss the kids.

Docket_Rocket

You didn't get the memo.  Summer arrived on Monday.  We are breaking 90F by next week and my high yesterday was 88F.

Mornin' Kidlets!

5 miles of tempo this morning in 71*, so yeah, spring has sprung. Next week it will be summer. Oh, I can't wait. Roll eyes

Have a fabulous Thursday!

10 miles this morning and 70 dewpoint.  I cannot wait til we hit 80 dewpoint (1000% humidity) says no runner ever.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Since I run in the evenings and I start working by 7am, 5am is too early to run especially if you go to sleep by midnight.  I cannot wait til I get my first Hokas.  Well, I already have a pair of Hokas but for the trail ultra.  I cannot wait to get my road Hokas for my other ultras.

DaveP MI- Mornin' sir, thanks for kicking things off today. We're supposed to break 50 today as well, but I'm thinking winter has one more curve ball to throw yet this year. Enjoy those 6-8 after work tonight.

BasyaSpiliakos- Have a fun one at the gym tonight after work.

LRB- I don't know who you are but you'd better stop trying to impersonate our resident fashion ho. If you keep on listening to SIAR you might well be running in these guys. v

Docket_Rocket- Too early to run? I didn't think that time existed.

flarunner- Nice job on the tempo 5 miles this morning already. Yikes, 71 already at the time you ran is almost 20 degrees warmer than our HIGH temperature for today.

Baboon- Will this be the first road test? Clipless? Be careful out there and enjoy yourself!

I have 14 miles on tap for today after work. My legs were a bit sluggish last night after yesterday's intervals and I actually thought about throwing in a few recovery  miles on the TM this morning. However, my comfy bed won out and I decided to sleep in a bit for some "non-active" recovery.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

Let us know how you like them, I am on my 2nd pair of GTS12's. Since they are on the 13 now, not sure whether they have made changes & whether I will want to stick with them. Curious to know what people have heard about the changes. Also what you think are other similar stability shoes worth trying.

I have learned the hard way to wait before I start gushing over new shoes because it can take two days, two weeks or up two months for an issue to make itself known.  It took three days with the LG 4, and about three months with the Lunarfly.

Initially they felt a little blocky,  but I don't mind that so long as I remain healthy.  The true test on that will come with the weekends speed session.  By then, I should have adapted to the different feel.

I have heard the 12's were a step back from the 11's, and that the 13's are a little better than the 12's, but not quite like the 11's were.  I just don't understand why these shoe manufacturers dick around with a proven design.

April, that was hilarious!

Bruce, people swear by the comfort of those things.

Supp D, B, Flo, Lilac and the boys!

Welp, it was bound to happen, my stupid Garmin died near the end of the run.  I don't like to charge it until it's really low, but let's just say that I should rethink that strategy lol!

Of course it would be on a day when I extended my route a bit, ha-ha (jokes on me).  I will just guesstimate it and call it a day.  It was an easy run so no big deal.

It  was another run with full sun and almost perfect temps, just a tad bit cold, but not enough to freeze my poor fingers off.  They have been through hell this winter and spring!

I actually prefer running in cold to cool though than warm or hot with sweat burning my flippin' eye sockets out.  I am not looking forward to that! 

I heard that this was coldest March since 2000 and I can attest to that!

Docket_Rocket

Doh, LRB.  The worst words an iPod or Garmin can say is Low Battery.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

LRB

Doh, LRB.  The worst words an iPod or Garmin can say is Low Battery.

Yeah, I have been trying to to determine when I should charge it and although I once ran 6 miles on 18% without a problem, it looks like anything under 23% is a risk for that distance.  Must have something to do with satellite strength on a given day.  

Lesson learned.

Docket_Rocket

Every since buying the 910, I don't charge it for two weeks.  Before, I had to charge the Garmins every 2 days or by the third run, it would be dead.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Morning!  Took a URD yesterday since I got home late and was a bit worried about the hip.  I rolled it really well and I think I found exactly the spot.  Tonight I have 7 scheduled, probably mostly with the local running club.

Dave- Hoping you do see 50 degrees when you go out for your run later!

Basya- Have a good day back at work!

LRB- Here's to new shoes! 

flarunner- Hope you enjoy spring while it lasts!

Phil- Enjoy the ride later!

Bruce- Hope the legs are feeling good for your 14 miler!

lilac- That's a good deal on the boots!  Good luck resisting!

April- Enjoy the lunch run!

StepbyStep-SH

Good morning, all! I plan to run in shorts - outside! - again today. Love having temps above 40* finally.

Plan is for 10 miles w/ 10x1:00 at 10k pace, but as always I'll monitor my ankle and see how it feels once I'm out there. I also have strength training class today, but I think I'll drop the weight I've been using by about 20% today. I still have some DOMS from Tuesday, and even though Sunday's race isn't a goal race, I want to go into feeling strong and put in a hard effort.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

13.2 miles.  7 or so at goal marathon pace.  I had a lot of frustration to pound out with stuff with my dad since he has moved up his wedding to June 15th versus Sept and he doesn't really know this person.  They met in Dec.  Dated twice and didn't see each other until the end of Feb.  He was ready to marry 3 other women between that time.  Scared them all away, went back out with this lady Feb 23rd and asked her that weekend and she said yes.  No one in my family has even met her!  I'm lucky I can easily get time off but doubt my dh can get the day off.  He is a fireman and they have to ask for time off way way way in advance.  Only so many by rank can be off any given shift.  His only hope is maybe someone will trade a shift with him.  But being that the weekend in question is fathers day weekend that will make it even harder.

Marjorie

LRB

LRB- Here's to new shoes! 

I will drink to that because as of Sunday I am drinking again - yay!

Damaris, great distance in less-than-ideal conditions.

Zelanie, I hope that your seven-miler goes well.

Shari, enjoy the ten-mile run.

Marjorie, brava on the 13.2. I hope that your family situation works out well for everyone.

YAYpril - B-Plus

Holy moly.

So, my gym is affiliated with a big hospital network in my area. The main location is near my house, and they have a second location in a hospital about a mile from my office. Behind the hospital, in front of an empty field, is a nice paved path around a pond. It's about .3 mile per loop, and today I decided to drive to the gym to run, since I'm bored of my normal 4-mile route when I go straight from my office.

I set out to do 13 laps (it's about .1 mile to the path from the gym entrance) and everything goes well... except on my last lap, I round the corner and a freaking fox runs out in front of me and trots along the path for 20-30 yards or so. Freaked me the FUCK out, let me tell you. My first thought was, "is this real?" and my second thought was, "well, if he bites me, at least I'm already at the hospital."

When he got off the path, he sat on a rock and just WATCHED me. It was very creepy.

I ended up doing a progression run. 10:19, 10:07, 9:56, 8:52.

LRB

When he got off the path, he sat on a rock and just WATCHED me. It was very creepy.

I ended up doing a progression run. 10:19, 10:07, 9:56, 8:52.

Got his workout in and took in some sights afterwards...sounds like a smart dude!