Beginners and Beyond

The Charleston Distance Run: Channeling Happylily (Read 71 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I meet up with a bunch of friends after the race and we drink a lot of beer.  I doubt I have ever been this dehydrated.

yeah, cuz alcohol will so help you get re-hydrated!   Just teasing, of course.

Congrats on your AG award!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Great job, LTH.  You analyzed the weather, the course, the competition, and your own capabilities and came out with an AG win.  Sweet.

Excellent report as well, it really brought the day to life.  Maybe next year I will take you up on the offer to join;  I also like racing for competition and not time, and tough courses are AOK. (WV isn't that far, and my target full might be in November then.)  If so, I owe you a beer!

Zelanie

I love your approach to racing and am glad you had a good rival at the line too.  Congrats on being able to leave it all out there on the course again.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Interestingly enough, this is the exact dilemma I blogged about a few days before the race.  Do you go out hard and try to hold on for dear life or do you try to run a bit conservatively early on?

I've had ample opportunity to race using both styles. I'm a firm advocate of starting conservatively, especially under adverse weather conditions or course mandated pacing. I've found that there isn't nearly as much difference in final time as many people think, but the slower, more conservative start also lets you respond better to late race challenges. There are few times when I would suggest starting hard and I use that only when it's a tactical race and I think that is the best way to beat my competition.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Ric-G

'm a firm advocate of starting conservatively, especially under adverse weather conditions or course mandated pacing. I've found that there isn't nearly as much difference in final time as many people think, but the slower, more conservative start also lets you respond better to late race challenges. 

interesting thoughts...sorta agree that there isn't much difference in final times either...as long as the opening pace is not beyond incredibly stupid and/or you have not trained properly...

lth - what can I say but congrats on letting your performance tell the story...we can re-examine strategy, etc., but at the end of the day you got the AG and in ten years you'll still have the bragging rights...great job!

marathon pr - 3:16

B-Plus

That sounds horrible - I mean the course and conditions. Next time skip the race and go straight for the beer.