Beginners and Beyond

I Got Scorched By A Pudgy Guy Yesterday (Read 178 times)

WDE! to the video link.

Fat guys can be fast:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=AVKDvMB79vA#t=11s

(why can't I post a link?)

Approaching the turnaround in my marathon, right after the 3:45 pacer I see a guy coming the other way who has a big beer belly.  Not that big overall, but a genuine big belly sticking way out over his shorts.  

I've done races with weight categories, and there are guys who weigh over 230 lbs (not necessarily fat) and run sub 20 minute 5k and sub 3:30 marathons.

I'm fat and slow, but I aspire to be less fat and less slow.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

Buelligan

Don't get upset at me, I'm telling the truth! Big grin Maybe the details were slightly different, though. I'll give you that.

Except for the details being different, it was the truth?

Um... okay.

happylily

Except for the details being different, it was the truth?

Um... okay.

My apologies, you're right.

FWIW, I agreed with you in that other thread (though I forget what I agreed on), and I agree with you now. In fact, I'll say that pudgier people and older ones as well, and people who run less weekly miles than I do, should never be allowed to pass me.  Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Buelligan

I remember that thread and actually it was the pudgy guy who did what Buel hated except it was ok because the guy asked if he could keep pace and also he really was faster.

That's pretty much it except this guy didn't speed up to keep me from passing, he asked if he could run with me.  He said he wanted to see how long he could keep up with me.   I sped up a little, he sped up a little, I sped up a little again, but then he sped up a lot.   At least this guy was considerate enough to ask, plus he had the goods.

I do hate it when I catch a guy from a half mile back and all of a sudden he thinks he's in a race.  It rarely happens to me, maybe 2 times a year, but I hear this a lot from the faster female runners I know.

I actually thought I was being quite self deprecating when I started this thread.

but I hear this a lot from the faster female runners I know.

I had a faster female run by me and snut rocket me on the way by.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27