Beginners and Beyond

2 weeks till my Half - What do I do these last weeks? (Read 82 times)

TxDiverMom

So I ran my 5k and ended up at 36:34.  That translates to a 2:49 HM on McMillan and a 1:00:38 for 5 miles.  I ran an 8 mile training run this weekend and the first 5 were in 1:03  (trying out my HM pace...actually it was at 11:43...quite a bit faster than my HM pace).  The last 3 were at about 13mm.  I wasn't tired and felt like I could go quite a bit longer.

I normally run 4-5 days per week, doing 6/5/4/3 and a long run.  How many days per week should I run this week?  Shorter runs this week?  Shorter long run next weekend?  When do I taper and how much?  I'm so confused.  LOL!!!  (Well, not totally, but this is way new to me!)

I am pretty excited about the HM and feel pretty confident that I'll go sub 3:00, which I would have never believed possible when I registered. 

Melissa

jmctav23

2/3rds training

you may, or may not, find this article useful...I know it' says it's from RW but it was actually written for running times.

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/performance-page-dont-taper-peak?page=1

Love the Half

This week, keep up your normal training routine.  Next week, run about half of your normal mileage.  Two days before the race, just go on a very easy 30 minute jog.  The day before the race, take the day off.  The article from Running Times is useful if you are planning to really race something all out but your goal should be to run the whole way and finish.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).