Beginners and Beyond

Syrupy Wednesday Penguins (Read 30 times)

GinnyinPA

PAD - good luck with your treatment.  Do you have osteoporosis?

Scotty - I hope it isn't raining tonight when you run.  Good luck.

SF - good job on the TM run.

HM:  Have a good vacation.  Will you be going anywhere or having family visit?  Enjoy your concerts.

Damaris - I hope you feel better today.  Flu or just a nasty cold?

Jerry - have a good run later. Will work be quieter with your boss gone, or will you have to do more to take up the slack?

Jack - good luck on the intervals. I hope it's not raining.

sapf - sounds like a good plan to me.

Lauren - have you had your thyroid tested?

Heading out to do some Christmas shopping - only one grandchild left to shop for - then I'll probably do a couple of miles on the TM later.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

PAD, congrats on the 5.  What's 'reclast'?   Vegetarian donuts?  Yeah, that sounds sooooo tasty....

You have more patience than me, StoneFence, I could not even do a minute on the TM.  Congrats on your miles.

Sorry about the ditched run, Damaris, and that you are still not feeling better.  Maybe there is more mold somewhere around your desk?  Maybe the bitch SABOTAGED your desk...do a search!     Hope you feel better soon!

Is last work day of the year for your boss a good thing or a bad thing, Jerry?  Good luck with the short run today.  What's the temp up there now, your way?

Stay safe in all that weather, Jack!

Scotty -- cute penguin syrup!!  Are you sore today?  No, HsM, I'm in a pretty good mood....  Enjoy all your time off and all the gigs!

Sounds like a plan to me, sapf;  long as you are used to the mileage already, you should be fine. Good luck to your friend!

Lauren it may just be Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD); read up on it and see if any of the recommended 'fixes' you find help you out. Lots of people get the same way you do this time of year, especially those in the area where there is 'real' winter.

Ginny, it has already started raining here - it's about 12:30 pm my time - and supposed to keep raining until early Friday.  But it's kind of a 'drizzle' and not a raging downpour, thank goodness.  A bit cold though....53 here right now and with the wind blowing 10 - 15 mph, makes it feel more in the 40s. It's a cold wind too...if that would stop blowing, it actually wound not be too bad out.   Good luck with the shopping!  You know, if you wear your running gear and then RUN from store to store you'd get your shopping and your miles done. 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Ha.  I can assure you this is not mold related.  I had a fever, dizziness, chills, and the normal cold symptoms.  Today, I just have a cough and sneezing.  Hoping for no fever.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

PADRunner

Ginny - Yes I have osteoporosis. Found out about 3 years ago when I had  2 compression fractures.

Reclast is a once a year IV treatment for osteo. First time I've had it. Side effects can be flu like symptoms for a week. Some can be worse.

Ooh, my belly hurts thinking with all this lingering donut talk. Plus I just had our Christmas holiday banquet. Tons of great food. I was good though and only had a small spoonful to sample the delicious food. As controlled as I was, I'm still stuffed.

Ran 2 miles this morning to satisfy the Holiday Streak and then backed it with weights for my lower body. Felt good.

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

tracilynn

My mother in law has osteoporosis too. I think she just did Reclast for the first time.  I will have to ask her what she takes but she was afraid of the side effects.  I think almost all treatment for OP has side effects.

I ran 7.6 today about half on trails. Saw a gray Heron and a deer. :-)  I busted my azz too. Toe caught a small stump and I went flying. Not hurt but slid on muddy leaves. Good thing I had gloves on.

donuts better than Krispy Kreme?!?! No way!!

~~~~~~~

Traci

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

5 for me and DW.  Back to arm sleeves, balaclava, and mittens.  Halfway, I was slowing down and I realized I couldn't breathe through the balaclava as it got wet.  <10:00 for the run.

Ginny, It's a good thing when my boss is away, since I don't have to work at looking busy.     She comes from "do as I say, not as I do" management school.

hog4life

Hope everyone feels better. I signed up for my employers little health thingy majig and it wanted me to set a goal. So I set one to loose 15 pounds by the end of June. I'm so sick of feeling bloated with my gut hurting all the time. Seems like the more miles I run, the more I eat.

Traci, will you be doing the Xterra 15k on Jan 10? It's on Monte Sano trails.

Jerry, there's no way I can breath through something like that either.

From the Internet.

Ginny - thyroid was normal. I'm leaning toward SAD after reading about all the symptoms and whatnot. I feel like this every winter, but I had such a good stretch over the summer/fall this year - no injuries, buying our house and finally feeling like a real adult, managing stress well - that it seemed to come out of nowhere. I feel worse on days when it's dark/cloudy/rainy, I don't know if that's a facet of SAD or just makes it easier to sleep in :P

GinnyinPA

Lauren - that is definitely a sign of SADD. I've got it.  The other night on the weather news they said it had been 23 days since we had had a 'mostly sunny' day.  I thought, "That explains a lot."  I definitely do much better on days I see the sun, and when several gray gloomy days in a row happen, I get really depressed.  Running helps me, a lot, but it is hard for me to go out when it's gray.  The holidays are stressful time for many people.  So many demands on time and energy.  Sometimes, it's a really good idea to just curl up in bed a little longer.

From the Internet.

Lauren - that is definitely a sign of SADD. I've got it.  The other night on the weather news they said it had been 23 days since we had had a 'mostly sunny' day.  I thought, "That explains a lot."  I definitely do much better on days I see the sun, and when several gray gloomy days in a row happen, I get really depressed.  Running helps me, a lot, but it is hard for me to go out when it's gray.  The holidays are stressful time for many people.  So many demands on time and energy.  Sometimes, it's a really good idea to just curl up in bed a little longer.

Interesting! Do you manage with antidepressants or light therapy or anything, if you don't mind my asking? I feel a little better already just knowing that there's a possible explanation for feeling this way. I might call up university health services (don't have a primary care doc at the moment) before they close for winter break and see what they think.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

My mother in law has osteoporosis too. I think she just did Reclast for the first time.  I will have to ask her what she takes but she was afraid of the side effects.  I think almost all treatment for OP has side effects.

I ran 7.6 today about half on trails. Saw a gray Heron and a deer. :-)  I busted my azz too. Toe caught a small stump and I went flying. Not hurt but slid on muddy leaves. Good thing I had gloves on.

donuts better than Krispy Kreme?!?! No way!!

I guess I have been very lucky then.  When my arthritis flared up I took ESI (Epidural Steroid Injections) about every 3 months. Then I went to every 4 months. Now I am at twice a year.   I've had these since 2005 and so far, so good, I have still been able to do run/walk, exercise, etc., and have had no ill side effects.  I forget the name of the stuff the doc is giving me, I will ask him again at my next appointment, which is in February.  Whatever it is, it works great for me.   I count my blessings because, as bad as osteo-arthritis is, rheumatoid arthritis is MUCH worse...after dealing with 'just" osteoarthritis - which is bad enough on some days; I get bad days and good days -  I really feel for the people who have to deal with rheumatoid arthritis, OP, etc., which are much more difficult to treat.  PAD and your mom, Traci, have my best wishes for success, I can relate to a degree to what they are going through.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

I only get SAD the day after it snows and the salt is all over the place for the next couple of months.  That is my only medical concern.

Medium short run for us this afternoon.